Why become a member? ×

My wife says I don't need another bass.

edstraker123

[quote name='Josh' post='414630' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:17 PM']Why can none of you married players seemingly ever put your foot down?[/quote]

Sounds like you're not married... ;)

I bet Tal would understand.... :wub:

Edited by 4000

My wife has only one rule when it comes to instruments - they must be played. But basically she's all "it's your money, you do what you like". Helps that she's a musician too (singer/sax) :P

I don't need to put my foot down - sometimes she even eggs me on to buy when I'm hmming and hawing about a bass ;)

6 basses, 1 EUB, daughter has 2 basses. My pedal board is now officially out of control and I want an upright. Thankfully they all cost £100 darling. Bless. She even bought me my new Ibanez Artcore for our wedding anniversary. She got a set of pots (Gordon Ramsey dontcha know) and a sewing machine. Fair exchange = No robbery ;)

[quote name='Josh' post='414630' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:17 PM']Why can none of you married players seemingly ever put your foot down?[/quote]

Maybe I'm lucky.If Mrs Doc ever questions why I want something it's because she knows me well enough to figure there may be an element of 'whim'. She's likely to say 'wait a day or 2 then see if you still want it'. Good call.

As for 'needing' multiple basses. That's down to the individual and the jobs he or she has to do. To be fair there's not many sounds you can't make with a Jazz , something more 'active' and a fretless.

Mine has given up on me as a hopeless case, although it keeps her happy if I stick to the rule; buy something - get rid of something else (and any fool knows that 1 vintage bass equates to 1 plectrum, and 1 full rig equates to one speaker cable ….. ;) )

2 guitarist sons and 1 drummer daughter so it’s a noisy, gear-filled house.

I’m sure doctor-of-the-bass holds the record here (59 basses?)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='415082' date='Feb 20 2009, 10:46 AM']As long as I can pay the bills, I just buy what I want. After all, they are working tools for me, not a hobby. And I write the cost off against tax, too!

Rich.[/quote]

hang on, are you saying you can you actually buy music stuff tax free if you're a working musician?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='415181' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:16 PM']hang on, are you saying you can you actually buy music stuff tax free if you're a working musician?[/quote]

Course you can Mildred.

Like a sandwich shop buys bread and gets the VAT back off it.

You can if you are a professional musician type person claw back the tax off fuel, stage clothes (need to have proof), any and all equipment (including basses, amps, cabs, covers & racks, leads, fx, batteries, strings, notepads and pens - everything you use in a professional context), food whilst working - you need to keep all your receipts etc etc and do it all above board but yes its a legitimate profession after all.....

[quote name='farmer61' post='415112' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:25 AM']I can only go on personal experience here.

Buy it sneak it in the house, wait a while then put it on display and if ever questioned tell here you've had it for ages. Yes that old failsafe.......lie.[/quote]

Ah, that old classic...... :P ;)

[quote name='51m0n' post='415196' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:35 PM']Course you can Mildred.

You can if you are a professional musician type person claw back the tax off fuel, stage clothes (need to have proof), any and all equipment (including basses, amps, cabs, covers & racks, leads, fx, batteries, strings, notepads and pens - everything you use in a professional context), food whilst working - you need to keep all your receipts etc etc and do it all above board but yes its a legitimate profession after all.....[/quote]

That also means declaring and paying tax on all earnings, so possibly not viable for the pub players.

of course we all do that anyway...........

I had nine at one point, now I have two basses, three electric guitars and one acoustic. They are all very different from eachother, for different situations. That's why we need so many! That's why I have lots of fishing rods and reels too. And shoes, ask her about how many shoes she really needs, that should kill off the argument ;)

[quote name='51m0n' post='415196' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:35 PM']Course you can Mildred.

You can if you are a professional musician type person claw back the tax off fuel, stage clothes (need to have proof), any and all equipment (including basses, amps, cabs, covers & racks, leads, fx, batteries, strings, notepads and pens - everything you use in a professional context), food whilst working - you need to keep all your receipts etc etc and do it all above board but yes its a legitimate profession after all.....[/quote]

Yeah okay i get what you mean. That's pretty good stuff. I'd really like to be a pro musician but i don't think i'll ever manage to get in a band and i'm certainly not good enough to be a hired musician.

"Oh, and don't call me mildred!" ;)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='415359' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:41 PM']Yeah okay i get what you mean. That's pretty good stuff. I'd really like to be a pro musician but [b]i don't think i'll ever manage to get in a band[/b] and i'm certainly not good enough to be a hired musician.[/quote]

You say that, but you'd be wrong. I used to think that. Then I joined a band. Who knows where it will lead?

Edited by neepheid