Why become a member? ×

Scoop v folded horns

DJpullchord

I wouldn't want that much bass in the mix (general pop/rock: Bowie, Radiohead, Noir Désir...). Our main bass cab is an HH 2x15 folded horn (weighs as much as a small moon...), driven by a Hiwatt 200w head, with no EQ (tone at 12 o'clock...). We don't play stupidly loud, either (PA is a pair of 15" tops from a mixer/amp head, no subs, for vox, acoustic guitar and keys...). Excess 'low' adds nothing but mush for what we play. B|

8 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

I find scoops better for sub, maybe 35hz to 80hz, depending on the music genre. What are you guys using for bass?

Are you talking about pa or backline? 

I wouldn't use either as backline. That kind of low on stage is just annoying mush and would get on everyone's nerves.  In terms of pa it would depend entirely on the spl charts for any individual box. I dont think you can endorse or write off one design over the other as there are huge variations in performance and behaviour within each type.

In isolation, a sub for the bass can be very satisfying, but put it in a live environment - unless the space is acoustically ideal (which is rarely or never the case) - with a full band and I agree with the comments above. It just adds mud and mush. Even on my PA, I keep the subs dialled down, so they are just adding a subtle weight to the sound.