Why become a member? ×

Isolation Build - time to experiment!

Chopthebass

31 minutes ago, Slappindabass said:

Do you always paint before fretting? I have bern fretting then lacqeur. Git getting it off the frets!😥

I never lacquer after fretting. You can’t go super thick with the finish else you will make it hard getting frets in their slots. 

3 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Shiny shiny frets!  That’s a neat looking job there.  I would have been happy with the walnut, but that rosewood also looks good.

I love shiny frets on maple! My missus said it’s a shame you can’t get gold frets. Ah but you can and I didn’t give it a thought! EVO frets next time!

6 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Very lovely indeed! Question, why did you decide to place the pickup as you did? Or is it false perspective?

Well spotted! And there is a reason. Bad planning on my part. The pickup was shifted 2mm off center because it would have clashed with the batteries! So the next one I’ll move the battery boxes slightly, or make 9v. I may even try headless too for number 2.

14 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Well spotted! And there is a reason. Bad planning on my part. The pickup was shifted 2mm off center because it would have clashed with the batteries! So the next one I’ll move the battery boxes slightly, or make 9v. I may even try headless too for number 2.

It happens :) Regardless it looks amazing. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first time I have ventured onto the dusty vaults of the build diaries forum. I am simply blown away at the level of woodworking skill and accuracy involved with this. Well done Sir!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubit said:

This is the first time I have ventured onto the dusty vaults of the build diaries forum. I am simply blown away at the level of woodworking skill and accuracy involved with this. Well done Sir!

I must admit, it is where I get most pleasure in BC. 

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, ped said:

Ah just realised you’ve posted some pics on the super mini basses thread. I thought I recognised the shape. Seeing the build process is really interesting. 

I am planning a headless version, because unless you wear a strap, neck dive is an issue!

• Like 1