Why become a member? ×

Let's talk machine heads.

Owen

• 4 weeks later...

My long held feeling is that the weight of “boutique” tuners, particularly when fitted on a brass plate, has an adverse effect on the sound and several other factors on any instrument. Yes they improve the reliable tune-ability (for want of better terms) but they detract in so many other ways. The fact that they are beautiful and expensive looking does absolutely nothing for me, give me good old wooden hat pegs. Yes they can be inaccurate, can stick and are temperamental especially when old and worn, but they allow the pegbox and neck of the instrument to move, vibrate and join in with the rest of the bass. Boxwood is especially good! Don’t damp, sorry chaps. 

ps there are other more accurate light weight alternatives to the traditional hat peg.

I know it's not in the spirit of things, but I have to disagree. Quite a lot of basses actually benefit from the extra weight and rigidity of a good set of tuners, just as they can benefit from the extra mass of a C extension. Not all, certainly, but not none, and the mass doesn't stop the neck moving, just moves the resonant frequency of the neck. That isn't necessarily a bad thing either! I have known a horrible wolf tone to be almost completely eliminated by a new set of tuners!

• Like 1

Neil, I thought you might say that, but it’s perfectly in the spirit of things to disagree. I had a mechanical extension many years ago fitted by the man himself, Mr Fawcett. I’m afraid it certainly didn’t help that bass. I think what Owen said is true of many bass purchases and don’t even start me on highly figured “beautiful” wood. 

1 hour ago, anon said:

I think what Owen said is true of many bass purchases

Guilty as charged.

My problem is that the machines I have actually rattle on one of the elephant ears to the extent that when I go an record I have to wrap it in gaffa. Obviously this is not a good look but more importantly it really annoys me when a part of my kit does not work properly.  I guess I could just take it off and get it welded properly, but pretty things are pretty...............

Again many years ago, I did a nationwide tour supporting a famous band who shall remain nameless, due to reasons of personal embarrassment. One of the lighting engineers used gaffa tape to hold his ancient shoes together for the entire tour. I actually thought this was entirely practical and a very good look indeed. I went on to add this innovation to my own wardrobe when the need arose, I remember one particular bandleader was particularly impressed. Owen I would suggest you stick with the gaffa until you can run some solder into the gap at the end of the shaft. You need very hot and liquid solder but it works very well. Unfortunately although a cheap solution I don’t think it will meet your “pretty” criteria.