Why become a member? ×

Status Shark 5 string.

Bassmingo

Just reminiscing this morning instead of doing work about past basses I've owned. One was a Status Shark 5 string. It was passive, one pickup, plastic pickup cover, black pickguard, natural finish. The reason I mention all those details is when I google search this bass, I never seem to find photos of it in that config. I owned it for a couple of years circa 1998-2000, and the only reason I sold it on was because I was playing both 4 and 5 in an originals project, and my 4 was my Stingray 3EQ (which I still own) and I wanted consistent tone across both my basses, so I bought a Stingray 5.

I remember it fondly and would love to see one, or possibly buy one again, but I think they've become rare.

Does anyones else own one, or ever owned one?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Like this one? https://thebassgallery.com/collections/all/products/status-shark-fretless-5-ex-pino-palladino

my first bass was the active two pickup four string - but the second edition with the smaller scratchplate

Same shape and finish but not the version I had. 

Edited by Bassmingo

I had a shark 4, sunburst version of the one in the review.

If I had kept hold of that 9 years ago I wouldn't have gone round the houses trying basses afterwards.

Sold it for stupidly cheap as well to someone that was starting out and they were ultimately very disappointed with it as it didn't work for the type of music they wanted to play 🙄

Lovely basses, but I really rate the wooden neck Status ranges from the 90's.

Edited by Woodwind

59 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I had a shark 4, sunburst version of the one in the review.

If I had kept hold of that 9 years ago I wouldn't have gone round the houses trying basses afterwards.

Sold it for stupidly cheap as well to someone that was starting out and they were ultimately very disappointed with it as it didn't work for the type of music they wanted to play 🙄

Lovely basses, but I really rate the wooden neck Status ranges from the 90's.

My first bass was a two pickup active shark 2. Played lovely... can’t remember it sounding amazing, very warm sounding and didn’t work with what I was playing either. Replaced with a Japanese precision which was a lot better.

almost 15 years on I wonder what I would make of it if I played it now having played loads more basses

• Like 1

I had one of those for a while, and I loved the neck profile, and I love the sound of it. I used it for several things and was very happy with it in total.

The only thing I didn't like so much, was the noise issues when touching the metalic pickup, and the fact that the pickguard was extremely thin and flimsy, and moved when I turned the pots. So I was thinking about exchanging the pickguard, and exchanging the pickup to get rid of the noise issues and get a more solid feel of the bass. But in the end I found that selling it and getting something that feels right was better.

But the neck profile was always a sweet memory, and I am happy to have found that again in my Stealth 6-string :D 

Have a lot of sweet memories of the Shark, though.

• Like 1

Another  shark  lover  here.

I owned a Cherrywood bodied model, with the single chrome pickup, and the shoddy Tortoiseshell  p-guard that had a tendency to warp.

Bluddy good sounding bass though. I often wondered what the active version sounded like, as mine was passive

Also, from what i can see, the chrome single pup model had the pup much further up from the bridge, whereas the black single pup model was much closer to the bridge

Edited by fleabag