Why become a member? ×

Images that made you want to play bass

oldslapper

When I was a kid, my mum and dad bought me Sweet's Sweet craddock Adams on cassette and a year or so later my then teenage girlfriend (aah, Tracey), bought me Desolation Boulevard

I'll profess to this day that I often think about those photos of Steve Priest with that Rickenbacker 4001 and believe this was the catalyst that led me to where I am today.

desolationboulevard_lp_uk_inside.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson
Craddock? lol
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Muzz said:

And this...but you have to hear it at the same time... 😁

image.png.91f1baabcb25f4f3e15c0270a0881704.png

Yes, JJ sounded great on those early Stranglers albums - it was his sound, more than any other bassist that made me want to play
But I thought he looked pretty cool too. Leather jacket, black jeans & shoes, Black P bass with black guard and maple board.....
His onstage Karate kicks also added to his image

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudewheresmybass said:

image.jpeg.d0445edf82de857caa4cafdd8c42e947.jpeg

Watching Supersonic yesterday, during Oasis' car crash gig at the Whisky a GO Go I noticed the front centre monitor (which did look a bit war-worn) had 'NO FEET' written in tape over the speaker grille.

FTFAGOS! The only reason I'm in a band is to put my foot on the monitors!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

image.jpeg.d0445edf82de857caa4cafdd8c42e947.jpeg

As a teenager that was into the no particular kind of music except the classical I was being taught, images like this blew my mind. 
I regularly watched live after death, wearing more than one vhs copy out as well as the cassette, and poring over the booklet inside the vinyl. This guy, along with Gene and Cliff.
 When I finally met him a few years back, I physically shook for days and I almost cried, and was a complete fanboy 😳
at the time, and still now, he holds almost a mythic status- playing wise- in my eyes. 
Im fortunate enough to be playing, writing and recording with one of his ex drummists, so I do have a little more insight into his business dealings, but I will always hold him in high regard musically, and be grateful for this picture’s impact on a spotty teenager 😉🤘

Steve mate, the Xmas socks are just wrong for gigging. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

And this guy said you don't have to just play the bass. 

20200408_121815.jpg

Isn’t it nice that he finds something to do in between turning water into wine and raising the dead?😂

Being serious, massive influence and I thought he looked cool as around that time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great pictures peeps. 
I wonder if the vinyl LP was the “golden era” of inspiration (through images) of the band with their instruments?

Gawping at the players “stage lunge” (steady...) whilst dreaming of owning their axe of choice, all at the same time as listening to the rumble (or twang) of the P, J, T-bird or ClankStick....

Happy Daze. 😊

2 hours ago, spectoremg said:

I agree, lots of flack but to his credit he tried everything on bass. An UEB in pop music - surely not?

Yep, he certainly tried all sorts: Explorer shape? Check.  Red? Check. 8-string? Check. Fretless, maple board? Erm...check?

I really, really wanted that bass when I saw it...it would have been next to useless for me, but that's hardly the point... 😁

image.png.bb47500702f8eee7444e3f47a1899f27.png

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I really, really wanted that bass when I saw it...it would have been next to useless for me, but that's hardly the point... 😁

image.png.bb47500702f8eee7444e3f47a1899f27.png

Oh I am so glad I didn’t see that when I was 18...would have blown my mind, and wages.