Why become a member? ×

Images that made you want to play bass

oldslapper

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. The first time I heard the band, the first time I saw the images, the first time I saw them live, the first time I heard/saw that bass, I had to play bass. I was lucky enough to support British Lion in December, and play through his Iron Maiden cabs (only 1 of the 4 he brought out with him), and I got to chat to him as a “peer”. What a brilliant, engaging and funny guy he is. Mind blown. 16 year old me would never believe it was possible ☺️

1CF6F062-DF78-470E-BD9E-BE941FAE70D6.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NickD said:

I must have worn both the tapes and the video out. As an impressionable 14 year old who had just saved enough from his paper round for a guitar, this was how a rock show should look!

Exactly the same here! I was 12 in 1986 and had the video and double LP of Live After Death, as well as the Scorpions Worldwide Live video and Alive II vinyl. I had a morning paper round and used the money to pay back my dad who’d agreed to stump up for my first bass - a Satellite - and a five watt practice amp. 

Apologies for the poor pic quality (the original isn’t very good) but this image from the inside sleeve of New Model Army’s Thunder and Consolation made me want to swap the pointy 80s Charvel I played at the time (around 1990)  for a Precision. 

E4705B8D-66CB-4F07-AAF3-AD18FAA386F3.jpeg

• Like 2

I can't find the image, but there was a picture in NME or MM of Soft Machine's bassist's (Hugh Hopper?) bass leaning against an amp. It was in the first half of the 70s, but I can still see it, a white Fender bass from the back. I think that started a life long obsession with Fender basses!

• Like 2

Back in the day things were a lot more simple. The first day I joined my new school there was this double bass on its side at the back of the stage. I’d never seen anything quite so majestic before and that was all I ever wanted. So after all these years that’s what I play.

A fellow schoolmate was Les Hurdle - Womble Tomsk. I wonder whether he was similarly inspired. I never asked him.

• Like 1

Just now, Bassfinger said:

May as well lock the thread now.

2008motorhead01getty120914_article_x4.jpg.a54f76ac8a9fad33e209ed5ef24766f5.jpg

Lem was my most important early influence but I can’t remember a specific image that drew me in, off the top of my head. Maybe the pic on the inside of Space Ritual....

• Like 2