Why become a member? ×

Images that made you want to play bass

oldslapper

....No! Not Those images! Filthy minds the lot of you...

I saw this image of Chris Glenn when I were a wee lad and thought...”That’s cool, I’m gonna be a bass player” Foot on the monitor, glaring at the crowd.

Also fell in love with 51 P/Tele bass shape at the same time.

Any pictures/album sleeves that got your “Bass” attention?

Sorry if this has been done before. 

CBDC19FE-7C17-4B3D-8CBB-FD8D3C6031A4.jpeg

• Like 3

Wasn’t an image as such, but in the 1980s I fitted a large speaker in the rear parcel shelf of my Austin Allegro - and the bass boomed out, reflected from the rear window.

I think that was the first time I really 'heard' bass......

4 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Wasn’t an image as such, but in the 1980s I fitted a large speaker in the rear parcel shelf of my Austin Allegro - and the bass boomed out, reflected from the rear window.

I think that was the first time I really 'heard' bass......

Nice! Let’s say it’s this one 😊

8916FE6C-6134-4B55-B82A-B9B281C1F312.jpeg

• Haha 6

The debut album by The Selector 'Too Much Pressure' featured a great picture of the band on the back cover which showed bassist Charley Anderson playing a sunburst precision. He looked so cool to my 15 year old eyes.

I drooled over it for ages till I got my first bass.

IMG_5483_1.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NickD said:

Hard to pin it down... but one of the shots from this era Maiden. I had the Live after Death poster on my wall as a kid.

Harris.jpg

Absolutely this! Live After Death was one of the main reasons I started playing. I was enthralled by Steve Harris. (I met him in 1997 but was too awestruck to say anything.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Absolutely this! Live After Death was one of the main reasons I started playing. I was enthralled by Steve Harris. (I met him in 1997 but was too awestruck to say anything.)

I must have worn both the tapes and the video out. As an impressionable 14 year old who had just saved enough from his paper round for a guitar, this was how a rock show should look!

• Like 3

For me it was a mix of Steve Harris and Phil Lynott (when he did Out in the Fields with Gary Moore).

PS - I used to have an Allegro Estate, but in blue. Fantastic for carrying gear, but little else.

• Like 2

Just now, bassbiscuits said:

Ah you’ve gotta elaborate now....

OK - you asked for it....

We met Steve and a few others of the Maiden posse when British Lion (the first time they were around - some came from round my way) played at a local pub in Thorpe Le Soken - Steve was managing them, not playing.

Ended up having a beer afterwards, my mate Andy and Steve comparing Maiden tats etc. Andy (BT engineer) ended up offering to fit some phone extensions into Steve's new home studio - which he did. They got on well and Andy ended up playing football (don't know why , he's awful) for Maiden XI.

We saw British Lion a lot in these pokey pubs and village halls etc and always had a natter with Steve. We got invited to the 'Nodding Donkeys' undercover Maiden gig in Norwich and later asked to go along and do some "Yob vocals" on Fear of the Dark (Chains of Misery and From Here to Eternity) at the aforementioned 'home studio.'

Steve gave Andy some bits of memorabilia for a charity auction he was running, remember this is all pre internet, and Andy tried to sell the stuff to a largely uninterested crowd so ended up making a donation and keeping it. Amongst the stuff was a pair of spandex from the World Slavery Tour - which were pretty worn even then. Andy wore them to gig in with our band (not a pretty sight.)

They've probably fallen apart by now, but they were cool - had sewn on patches and Egyptian symbols up the side. Good worn patch from p bass action.

Nice bloke Steve - happy days 🙂

• Like 9

image.png.161e816449fa70ed7057afaaab858856.png

I think the way Mr Hook looked on stage was more appealing to me than his musical style, good and all though it was.

Luckily I was jamming in a band with two basses and the other one took the high road like Hooky, so to speak, leaving me the meatier bottom end stuff.

(Cheers Brian)

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 2