Why become a member? ×

'94 Musicman Stingray *SOLD*
£895
Margate

jay-syncro

Totally original '94 Musicman Stingray complete with illusive "Flea" Bridge and wonderfully figured maple neck. This bass is a stunner and if my other basses had gone this wouldn't be up for sale. It's  light for a Stingray @ 9lbs and as I discovered, if you take the knobs off it weighs 8.5lbs! 3 band EQ sounds great. The bass is in good, used condition. It has some paint chips here and there, the back of the neck however is mint and gloriously smooth. I've added a picture of a lovely maple neck (my Windmill) next to the Ray for comparison. It's quite the looker. 

Collection (at a distance?) from Margate, or I can post (probably best). 

IMG_20200405_143008.jpg

IMG_20200405_143016.jpg

IMG_20200405_143022.jpg

IMG_20200405_143035.jpg

IMG_20200405_143054.jpg

IMG_20200405_143044.jpg

IMG_20200405_143108.jpg

IMG_20200406_134538.jpg

IMG_20200405_150505.jpg

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Like 14

44 minutes ago, Dirty Soul said:

Beautiful! That neck grain is something else! 

Out of curiosity, what is the ‘Flea’ bridge? 

☺️

Thanks 👍🏻

As far as I know the original Stingray bridge design had the strings running centrally across the saddles, then at an angle from saddle to the end of the bridge. When flea first started using Stingrays he found that when played hard, the strings could slide off the saddle. He suggested running the strings off-centre on the saddle, therefore the whole string is straight from bridge to nut without any unnecessary angles/week points. The saddle grooves also allow the strings to sit in them rather than on them for a further increase in stability. 

Here's a picture of an original style pre-Flea bridge. 

Screenshot_20200405_184141.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jay-syncro said:

As far as I know the original Stingray bridge design had the strings running centrally across the saddles, then at an angle from saddle to the end of the bridge. When flea first started using Stingrays he found that when played hard, the strings could slide off the saddle. He suggested running the strings off-centre on the saddle, therefore the whole string is straight from bridge to nut without any unnecessary angles/week points. The saddle grooves also allow the strings to sit in them rather than on them for a further increase in stability. 

That’s some good knowledge! I never knew that! Thanks for the info and best of luck with your sale. Absolutely stunning colour, no doubt it won’t hang around for long! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, linear said:

Trans teal?  My favourite colour Stingray of all time.

If I only got on with the Stingray width neck I'd have bought this already.

That's right, a great colour. 

This one has a particularly fast neck, I actually felt compelled to measure it when it first arrived as I thought it may be jazz width. It's actually 42mm wide if memory serves and a shallow 19/20mm deep at the first fret. Combined with the silky smooth oiled finnish its a dream to play. 

Best era of stingrays, have had my 2EQ 94 ray from new and similar to you I was about 17 when I got it.  I’ve nearly sold it a few times outta desperation but so glad I didn’t. Have an East Kent bump on me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gt4ever said:

Best era of stingrays, have had my 2EQ 94 ray from new and similar to you I was about 17 when I got it.  I’ve nearly sold it a few times outta desperation but so glad I didn’t. Have an East Kent bump on me.

That's cool, thanks for the bump 👍🏻

• MB1 locked this topic