Why become a member? ×

Selling on Reverb

Woodinblack

I see a few scattered posts on here about people selling on reverb, but having never done it, I wondered what it was like. In fact I only bought on reverb once, but that was fine.

There appear to be a few complaints about their fees, but they seem pretty reasonable from what I see, especially when eBay aren't doing their £1 fee thing, are there any hidden fees that I don't see?

I am interested in using it instead of eBay, so I would be interested in any stories, for or against, how people have found it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought a few things on there no worries, listed on there too, but I think they sold on other sites before a reverb buyer could get hold.

I do know people that have and they had no issues - if it broadens the audience, it’s cool.

I find it good to search and being music centric loads easier.

Good luck 

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

As someone who has complained about their fees on here before, I will risk repeating myself.  You must be aware of this is your first sale as there is an extra set up fee. And you will wait at least 5 days when it does eventually sell before Reverb will send you your money,  It can also seem like ages before you sell your item- at least eBay the sale has a fixed time frame.  I would get lots of watchers but no one actually committing to buy.  Reverb seems to favour the buyer than the seller.  But this is all just my bitter experience, other people will probably have had a much better experience.

On 23/06/2020 at 21:22, bamboscha said:

I see. How much is the set up fee? It doesn't say anything about it on the Reverb fees page.

I'm not sure I paid a set up fee, best thing to do is check the T&Cs. I will say that selling on Reverb is like selling here (BC) and and therefore nothing like selling on eBay! In short, it's generally polite, calm and honest, at least in my experience. 

Info here

https://reverb.com/page/seller-fees#:~:text=As a seller%2C Reverb charges,transaction fee to only %24350.

• Like 1

I've sold on Reverb and didn't face a set up fee...

From memory the fee was 3.5% of the sold value of the item, plus PayPal usual 4% cut, so 7.5% total. Bear in mind that eBay (on a non £1 selling fee day) charge 10% plus 4% to PayPal so that's 14%. Makes Reverb 6.5% cheaper! 

The downside is that it can take time to sell on Reverb, it's like having you're own virtual shop, whereas eBay is an auction and you can choose to run your item for 3, 5, 7 or 10 days. 

Also, those who complain about fees should look at what a live auction charges! Often a 15% or more sellers fee as well as a 20% buyers premium. So I'm not one to complain about paying fees for a service I'm chasing to using! 

And here is an excerpt from the transcript I had with someone from reverb when I disputed this hidden fee at the time:

Daniel R.: Here is the breakdown of the fees:
(07:59:07) Daniel R.: Payout Line Items Payment Amount £2,100.00GBP Payment Processing Fee (2.7% + £0.25) -£56.95GBP Selling Fee -£73.50GBP Bump Fee -£31.50GBP Shipping Label Fee £0.00GBP Payout Amount £1,938.05GBP
(07:59:13) Daniel R.: Let me know in case you have any questions
(08:03:07) Robbie Jessep: Ok so that payment processing fee is an entirely new one on me.
(08:03:50) Robbie Jessep: I would have been better off selling through eBay to be honest. Where does it say in the contract about that fee?
(08:05:26) Daniel R.: I am very sorry in case you were not aware. ebay actually has a higher payment processing fee, lots of people do not know about though
(08:05:33) Daniel R.: You can see an overview of the fees here:
(08:05:37) Daniel R.: https://reverb.com/page/seller-fees
(08:06:35) Robbie Jessep: I think seeing as I have had so much hassle getting my money (it still hasn’t been paid into my account) that you should waive that fee. How can you justify charging that much when I still haven’t had my money?
(08:10:59) Daniel R.: I am sorry for the delay
(08:11:04) Daniel R.: this is just for your first sale
(08:11:23) Daniel R.: and is due to security to keep your money and other user's money safe
(08:11:43) Robbie Jessep: Well it will now be my last sale, and I really would like it refunded please
(08:11:43) Daniel R.: we have to comply with a new European law that requires the verification of all sellers
(08:12:03) Daniel R.: I checked and your money should be in your account on Thursday now
(08:12:20) Daniel R.: Moving forward payment should be quicker as payout are approved as soon as an item is in transit

13 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

And here is an excerpt from the transcript I had with someone from reverb when I disputed this hidden fee at the time:

(07:59:07) Daniel R.: Payout Line Items Payment Amount £2,100.00GBP Payment Processing Fee (2.7% + £0.25) -£56.95GBP Selling Fee -£73.50GBP Bump Fee -£31.50GBP Shipping Label Fee £0.00GBP Payout Amount £1,938.05GBP
(08:03:07) Robbie Jessep: Ok so that payment processing fee is an entirely new one on me.
(08:03:50) Robbie Jessep: I would have been better off selling through eBay to be honest. Where does it say in the contract about that fee?
(08:05:26) Daniel R.: I am very sorry in case you were not aware. ebay actually has a higher payment processing fee, lots of people do not know about though
(08:06:35) Robbie Jessep: I think seeing as I have had so much hassle getting my money (it still hasn’t been paid into my account) that you should waive that fee. How can you justify charging that much when I still haven’t had my money?
(08:11:23) Daniel R.: and is due to security to keep your money and other user's money safe
(08:11:43) Robbie Jessep: Well it will now be my last sale, and I really would like it refunded please
(08:11:43) Daniel R.: we have to comply with a new European law that requires the verification of all sellers
(08:12:03) Daniel R.: I checked and your money should be in your account on Thursday now
(08:12:20) Daniel R.: Moving forward payment should be quicker as payout are approved as soon as an item is in transit

That does sound like a reasonable process for gaining trust and making sure that scammers are kept off the market place (unlike Ebay).

Definitely frustrating if you need the funds sharpish and only have the one item to sell though!

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

That does sound like a reasonable process for gaining trust and making sure that scammers are kept off the market place (unlike Ebay).

Definitely frustrating if you need the funds sharpish and only have the one item to sell though!

Agreed, if you have only one item to sell, I'd guess BC is your place, fees here are VERY low by comparison

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

Now I know why prices are daft high on Reverb, as they are on Feebay.

I have to point out that bump fee of £73.50 was entirely my own fault, but just goes to show the problem of Reverb- my guitar had been sitting around for ages getting no new views, and so I felt a bump was the only way of getting it back up there to try and gain a bit more interest.  I don’t think it was really worth that much money though , though maybe it did ultimately result in the final sale.  I think the guy who eventually bought it said he had been watching it for some weeks and only went for it after I dropped the price from £2500 to £2100.  But yes, I think Reverb is great for the buyer- complete protection, knowing that you can send any item back and get a complete refund, but in my experience as a seller it was frustrating and very well unpleasant trying to get my money- the buyer has to have the instrument in their hand before even the process of getting paid takes place (and as you can see, this is 5 working days).

Robbie

58 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve seen some nice basses on reverb, Does it cost you anything to buy there, apart from the price and p&p 

No, but if any seller is anything like me I would want to factor in the fees in the selling price.  My advice would be if you see anything being sold by a shop on there phone the shop direct.  It may cost you the same money, but at least the shop won’t have the fees to pay.  Some shops put brand new stuff up there, such as Project Music in Exeter.

• Thanks 1

I'd counter that and say if it's the same price then buy it on Reverb as you'll have an extra layer of protection if anything goes sour, especiallyif that shop if abroad. Also, large businesses will have lesser rates than the private seller. Just my humble opinion! 

• Like 1

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I notice that the bass gallery put basses up on reverb but they are allways more expensive there, presumably to get their costs back.

It’s one thing that annoys me when people sell on different platforms for different prices-I suppose there is room to wriggle them down to their other price - most reverb sellers are happy to have some form of negotiation

38 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I'd counter that and say if it's the same price then buy it on Reverb as you'll have an extra layer of protection if anything goes sour, especiallyif that shop if abroad. Also, large businesses will have lesser rates than the private seller. Just my humble opinion! 

Absolutely. It saved me a lot of money doing it that way a while back. 

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It’s one thing that annoys me when people sell on different platforms for different prices-I suppose there is room to wriggle them down to their other price - most reverb sellers are happy to have some form of negotiation

Many businesses don't intend to sell via Reverb (or eBay), but to get the casual browser - and there are a lot of those on Reverb and eBay - to visit and ideally buy from the shop's website, which is why they often list them at higher prices on Reverb/eBay.

And of course, many of the shops price their goods high on eBay and Reverb because they don't like either site's buyer-friendly T&Cs :)

Just now, Beedster said:

Absolutely. It saved me a lot of money doing it that way a while back. 

Many businesses don't intend to sell via Reverb (or eBay), but to get the casual browser - and there are a lot of those on Reverb and eBay - to visit and ideally buy from the shop's website, which is why they often list them at higher prices on Reverb/eBay.

And of course, many of the shops price their goods high on eBay and Reverb because they don't like either site's buyer-friendly T&Cs :)

I completely get that, and for the savvy buyer it can be used to their advantage

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I have my ibanez on here for cheaper than I have it on ebay.