Why become a member? ×

1/2 Basses

Nothingman

Morning all, hope everyone is staying safe and well during the craziness. 

I don't post on here much, but when i do there is some really good info. So I am hoping some of you cool cats can help me with this. 

My 8 year old daughter is killing it on the drums at the moment and was booked in for her first exam. However, when will that be now? Nobody knows. We got her a pretty decent electric kit for her birthday and she practices a lot. And uses acoustic kit at school. 

So because of the the electric capabilities I can record her drumming on garage band. This has really lit a fire in her belly during lockdown and now she is interested in making distorted sounds with my bass and loads of effects. 

She is now interested in learning bass, and I think she would do well going by her ability to pick up drums so quickly. 

Problem is, she is a wee un. Only 120 cm tall, she would (by my maths) only manage a half size bass.

Now from my limited experience mucking about on 1/2 size basses, they are not very good. Am I right or wrong? I am interested to get some guidance on what makes etc may be budget friendly and good. What are the pitfalls of some 1/2 size basses.

Any help would be appreciated and hopefully, when we taste sweet freedom again, we can make a purchase. 

Cheers

Will