Why become a member? ×

BANDwidth - isolation jam sessions

Elfrasho

I was thinking about  doing this for a while, but lockdown has cemented the idea for me. All the  musos I know who can record their craft get together for some jam sessions. First up is my old school friend Dave Butt. He's in Australia now and he says he's not much a guitarist anymore but him and I used to play in a cover band that played extreme, mr big and dream theater... so he knows his way round a fret board.

Anyway... here's hs version of a dream theater tune. When i heard it i actual felt bad about adding stuff to it, but for the purposes of the video i kinda had to. Enjoy...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldG said:

Superb! Bass tone is just glorious on my monitors... 

Wow thanks. I can honestly say that the tone was not even thought about. My acg with eq flat, di'd straight into amplitube free version. Using the preset 'bass 3' with a touch of the bass rolled off.  Although I may have also moved the virtual mic back to give it a more open roomy tone. 

But literally it was a 20 second job!  

Interesting wee point yo make too is that caeilas part was just audio from the video on her phone. Not a proper mic! It's not perfect obviously, and not exactly radio ready, but it's quite astonishing the quality that anyone with a smart phone can record! 

29 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

Wow thanks. I can honestly say that the tone was not even thought about. My acg with eq flat, di'd straight into amplitube free version. Using the preset 'bass 3' with a touch of the bass rolled off.  Although I may have also moved the virtual mic back to give it a more open roomy tone. 

But literally it was a 20 second job!  

Interesting wee point yo make too is that caeilas part was just audio from the video on her phone. Not a proper mic! It's not perfect obviously, and not exactly radio ready, but it's quite astonishing the quality that anyone with a smart phone can record! 

Wow.. 20 second set up!  Gonna have to try amplitude again..   looks like it could help in the search  for a decent bass vst.

Vocals sound fantastic,  considering the phone mic/ room acoustics, etc - the fx are a bit heavy for my taste, still stunning tho'...

Edited by OldG

How’s the lag with Bandwidth (assuming it’s all done at the same time)? It’s a new one on me (as are they all TBH) and it’d be great to be able to get my band doing something together and it seems we’ve discounted Acapella.

35 minutes ago, OldG said:

Wow.. 20 second set up!  Gonna have to try amplitude again..   looks like it could help in the search  for a decent bass vst.

Vocals sound fantastic,  considering the phone mic/ room acoustics, etc - the fx are a bit heavy for my taste, still stunning tho'...

Honestly, I think sometimes folk overthink bass tone and sometimes the best solution is the easiest solution. I honestly do t have much of an inclination to go buy more amplitube packs because I think sometimes the more choice you have, the less likely you'll settle on something and be happy!  One amp, one set of eq, and basic fx. Should get you through pretty much every session! 

Saying that, the number of basses/guitars /amps/fx etc I've had over the years suggests I dont follow my own advice! 😂

I hear ya re:fx too. I'm probably compensating for the lack of detail in the recording, it being a phone. I'm also far from competent at audio production and I think that's a sign of it, too many effects. Ill keep an eye on that for the next projects. 

Edited by Elfrasho

21 minutes ago, ezbass said:

How’s the lag with Bandwidth (assuming it’s all done at the same time)? It’s a new one on me (as are they all TBH) and it’d be great to be able to get my band doing something together and it seems we’ve discounted Acapella.

Every track is played live but not at the same time. So it's just a matter of syncing the tracks I get to create the music, then sync the videos to the audio. 

I don't think latency over the Internet is acceptable enough for proper tight jam sessions despite what people may say. 

With this wee project I only really ask the folk involved to play the track all the way through. No cut ins or editing. That way it still keeps the live feel to it. 

Also.. How could we do it live when I'm playing more than one part to the tune? 😂😂

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2020 at 21:28, Elfrasho said:

Not alot of interest in this clearly but il keep posting them anyway! 😂

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Only just seen this - love it! 

As above ^^^^^^

I assume the waters move more slowly in the recording section vs the general section of BC.

👍

• 2 weeks later...

Another really cool vid. Really nice groove on your bass line from your Fender P, but were you having a bad head day? 😁

Are all the basses in your other vids ACG single cut 5 strings?

Edited by Al Krow

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Another really cool vid. Really nice groove on your bass line from your Fender P, but were you having a bad head day? 😁

Are all the basses in your other vids ACG single cut 5 strings?

Thanks man! Although I'm not on bass here, I'm on keys! This is Rurairdh - outstanding bassist and has a lovely collection! Not sure if he logs on here or not actually.

But aye, I've only really got two basses, and id probably only record with the ACG - so anytime you see a bassist not playing an ACG single cut, then it's not me! :D