Why become a member? ×

Ampeg micro SVT opinions

NJE

As the title says really, I am just wondering if any of you good folks have used or own one and what are your opinions? I did a search but just seemed to come up with sale threads.

I keep seeing them being used in studios and on YouTube vids of bands I like but interested to get some real world thoughts.

cheers!

That’s the thing, I am only really interested because it looks good. Admittedly I don’t really gig and need much power if I do, so I am hoping my logic kicks in and beats my gut reaction of ‘that looks class’.

It's been my at - home practice amp for the last six years or so. Used every day, never failed to power up or anything. The only think I had to replace was the switch since I use it so often. Sounds great! My only criticism is that the fan noise is a bit loud but hey, turn it up! 

I've used the DI for recoding and that sounded good, but I'm sure I read somewhere that they were made to be miced up. Might have read that on talkbass. 

Ample power with the matching 210 cab for recording and at - home practice. 

Edited by Jonse

I've got one and I use it for home practice. It's great for that use, and I used it for a gig once with 2 of the 210 cabs. Was plenty loud enough. I'm starting to drool over the PF20T valve head, so I may sell mine in the future, at least the head anyway. And yes, it does look cool! 

Cheers everyone, I won’t be gigging that much and mostly playing at home and the odd practice. The line in and headphone was appealing as well as the overall aesthetic. I have a 4ohm Aguilar cab which will pull the most out of it.

I read about the noisy fan which could be an issue if I’m just playing at home but I have had some noisy amps before and it was never much of a concern.

I might keep an eye out for a secondhand one as it’s less of a hit if it’s not right for me.