Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Special 1981 USA SOLD elsewhere
£1150
Lancaster

ash

This Precision Special has one of the nicest necks I’ve played equal to my ‘79 Precision which is my go to bass. It has lots of dings as it’s been a well loved and gigged bass. There’s nothing structural, the truss rod and frets are fine, the finish still looks fantastic but there are dings. Pickups and circuitry are original, the passive active mini toggle is a bit ‘thumpy’ when you switch it but it works fine. Both active and passive sound great. The output jack is scratchy but it’s easily replaced and I’ll include an old spare I got but never got round to fitting. Some of the gold plate has worn with age and use. 
Crucially it’s heavy but not as heavy as most of these as they average between 10 and 13lbs. My white one was 12! This one is 10.5 or 4.8kgs in new money. On a decent strap it really is a comfy bass to play. 

It’s not a boat anchor but it’s no lightweight either. What you get is an incredibly punchy sound with bags of sustain and a very nice rare finish with matching headstock.

The bass comes with Fender case that has a bit of a smoker’s smell to it. NB there’s a little plastic  plugged area near the toggle switch where I assume a LED had been fitted at some stage although this would not be stock. 

I’m not looking for swaps or daft offers I don’t need to sell for financial reasons but do need to adhere to my one in one out policy. I also will not send it outside the UK please don’t be offended by this it’s just not  something that I do. 
Back up for sale. I’d consider a swap for a passive Precision from this era. Now sold 

Edited by ash
Now sold
  • Like 6

Utterly brilliant basses - everything about these is premium.  IMO a real and positive departure from some of the shoddy practices that had dogged some (not all) production in the previous period. My favourite Fenders. This is a reasonable weight for an early one - some are nuts. They seemed to get a lot lighter in ‘82. Both the ‘82s I’ve played were just under 9lbs including the brass bridge. This one looks to be in really good condition for its age too - the metallic LPB often turns green (mine was on its way). Again, IMO an excellent price for a fantastic vintage Fender

Edited by three
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I’ll do that tomorrow in daylight. Meanwhile here is a picture of the circuit I took whilst cleaning the bass and also the jack socket compared to my 79 P bass. 

5F5EB941-B771-47E3-BFAC-87AF820C46C2.jpeg

117BEC66-1D45-4426-86C7-055879F12768.jpeg

32B9B7CE-BE1D-41FB-8384-A8CCBF74956A.jpeg

Edited by ash

On 24/04/2020 at 07:28, police squad said:

very nice and a great price. I have a red one, 3.9Kg. Absolutely stunning it is, GLWTS (I'd buy this to go with my red one but I'm downsizing my collection)

I’d buy your red one! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • MB1 locked this topic