Why become a member? ×

Bassists blagging it?

EJWW

30 minutes ago, Japhet said:

When they mimed Maggie May on Top of the Pops, they didn't bother getting the mandolin player to come to the shoot, but instead got John Peel to pretend he was playing the thing.

Ray Jackson (despite the lack of credit on the 'Every Picture...' album) went on to record on Stewart's next two albums, including the Maggie May follow up single ' You wear it well'. However, years later Jackson had a legal encounter with Stewart - details here from Wiki -

Jackson threatened legal action against Stewart in 2003, claiming that he should have been credited as co-composer of "Maggie May" alongside Stewart and guitarist Martin Quittenton for writing the musical "hook" of the song. Stewart had called Jackson in to play on "Mandolin Wind", and was so pleased at the results that he asked the musician if he had any ideas for the unfinished "Maggie May". Jackson claimed that he wrote the famous and instantly recognizable mandolin hook. In a statement he said, "I am convinced that my contribution to 'Maggie May,' which occurred in the early stages of my career when I was just becoming famous for my work with Lindisfarne, was essential to the success of the record. Furthermore, a writing credit would have given me a writing status which would have encouraged my writing efforts and could well have opened doors for me." His manager Barry McKay said that Jackson was asked to write something in the studio for the then unfinished record and wrote the hook. At the time, he had no idea he would be entitled to part-ownership as joint composer, and was merely paid a £15 session fee. A spokesman for Stewart dismissed his claim as "ridiculous".[2]

8 hours ago, gareth said:

Google says not

Personally I love Ronnie Lanes bass playing 

I agree it may seem raw and unpolished but I like it and his bass lines are quite unusual which to me makes him stand out as a bass player

I rate him highly 

D7DB2778-5B06-47B6-971E-AF65841E91EB.jpeg

Feel free to stand corrected on that one. 

8 hours ago, gareth said:

Google says not

Personally I love Ronnie Lanes bass playing 

I agree it may seem raw and unpolished but I like it and his bass lines are quite unusual which to me makes him stand out as a bass player

I rate him highly 

D7DB2778-5B06-47B6-971E-AF65841E91EB.jpeg

AllMusic Guide says he did.

I blagged it once. I was working with a Jazz monster pianist (and a drummer who would call out the changes to me when I got lost) who called a tune called Oleo. He counted it off at INSANE bpm in the rehearsal. I said that I could not think at that speed, let alone follow a chart. He told me to just play anything and he would cover me. I laughed. He said no, do it. On the gig he played the whole thing "outside" but with clearly discernible melody and solos while I played absolutely abstract walking lines which did not follow any discernible pattern at breakneck speed.  I had NO idea what was going on but looked like a Don. Obviously I have blagged it many other times, but that was the best of them all. I still cannot work out what he did.