Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN - NS Design CR5 Radius in Charcoal Satin - £1500
£1500
Norwich Norfolk

jamesbur

Thanks for the interest everyone! I guess now is not the good time to try and sell a bass like this and I keep getting pretty low offers so I've decided to withdraw it for now, maybe I'll re-list later in the year if things start to return to normal.

Up for sale is my mint condition NS Design CR5 Radius bass. This is a first class instrument which I've owned from new and probably the most 'pro' instument I've ever owned. Its light, balances perfectly and sounds amazing! Why the sale then? The bands I play with now need a more middle of the road aesthetic and this is definitely a very modern looking and sounding instrument so it doesn't really fit in with the vibe. As a consequence it spends most of its time in the gig bag these days which is breaking my heart so its time someone else had the benefit of it.

Its a 35" inch scale bass and has a super tight low B, I believe the body is chambered so it really is very light but has a solidness about it which gives you absolute confidence in the build quality, this really is a bass which will go on forever! The pickups and electronics are the EMG-X system which was designed specifically for Ned Steinberger for this bass and mix traditional magnetic pickups with piezo to given them a bit of extra bit and growl and slightly more natural response.

There are a couple of very minor marks on the back plus one on the back of the 'headstock' (shown in the pictures below), but the front of the bass is completely clean with no marks at all.

The bass comes with a high quality fitted gig bag with shaped foam. You can find more information about the bass in general here: http://www.basscentre.com/ns-design-radius-bass-guitar/ns-design-cr5-radius-5-string-bass-charcoal-satin.html

I'm happy to arrange shipping within mainland UK at additional cost (usually around £30 uninsured). I'm not currently interested in trades and the price is firm and already very reasonable so no offers please!

There is a video demo I've put together below with direct recorded audio so you hear a little of how it sounds.

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5985.jpg

IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

Edited by jamesbur
Uploaded video with direct audio
  • Like 9

It is true, absolutely everything does come through BC if you wait long enough!

I do not need another bass but I cannot stop myself monitoring here for the interesting stuff, and this IS the interesting stuff.

• Like 1

If this was a 6 string, I would have hired a team of expert hitmen to take you out, make it look like an accident that involved this bass going missing, and have the bass delivered to me secretly. 

Count yourself lucky this is a 5 string sir... but still, watch your back... 😎

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, binky_bass said:

If this was a 6 string, I would have hired a team of expert hitmen to take you out, make it look like an accident that involved this bass going missing, and have the bass delivered to me secretly. 

A little birdy told me that apparently a limited run 6-string version is on the way for later this year! Not sure if that’s still the case given all the disruption but it’s something to keep an eye on! :)

18 hours ago, owen said:

It is true, absolutely everything does come through BC if you wait long enough!

I do not need another bass but I cannot stop myself monitoring here for the interesting stuff, and this IS the interesting stuff.

Go on Owen, you know you want to :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Can't find the contract ? Did you put it in the usual pigeon hole ?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jamesbur said:

Cheers chaps! I didn’t know these basses had so much respect in the community ...well I know I liked them but I thought they were a bit of an acquired taste! 

Anything with NS on it is quality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

On the vid clip I'd say it's not a million miles away from the tone of the NS Bolin basses, would you agree?  

I no longer trust myself to comment on bass tone in public. My ears are not what they were. Wear earplugs everyone. 

1 minute ago, owen said:

My ears are not what they were. Wear earplugs everyone. 

I've worn them for 10 years or more but still lost some top end... the 30 years before I was fitted for plugs did the damage!  :/  

I think NS has been involved in some of the finest basses of the last 30-40 years, from his involvement with Spector and his Steinberger basses through to these.  

17 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

On the vid clip I'd say it's not a million miles away from the tone of the NS Bolin basses, would you agree?  

I wasn't actually aware of the Bolin basses until your post... With the piezo pickups rolled all the way in the bass sounds pretty acoustic (as you'd expect I guess)... If you really dig into the strings with a bit of the piezo blended in it produces a really nice growl which I guess would be great for heavier stuff

If it uses the same piezo system matched to mag as the Bolin, it is (IMHO) one of the best.  I find the piezo works great in an acoustic environment (acoustic guitars, cajon etc) and sounds like an acoustic bass.  I also use a little bit of the piezo blended with the mag to add a bit of top end 'sparkle'.  The Bassist magazine some years back rated the Bolin as one of the best sounding finger style basses they'd ever tried/reviewed (though they didn't rate the tone for slap bass) and I'd say that the system used and construction are very similar!  

GLWTS

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 22:20, owen said:

Seconded. I could not justify buying this, much as I want to,  but I love the design thought that has gone into it and the sound it makes.

Bump up, and GLWTS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering the WAV version of this, and this looks like 200% more instrument for 50% more wonga. But with the long-term financial implications of the pandemic still uncertain, spending this much on a bass is just not sensible. I doubt it will still be here when it is. 😔

• Like 1

I own a CR5 radius finished in natural satin and without doubt it is a stunning instrument. Playability, quality of construction, variety of tones, comfort - it has it all. 

My go-to bass for all occasions apart from fretless requirements, and I even considered (briefly) getting a fretless CR5 for those!

I am playing mine in my ID photo..

GLWTS

Edited by GrahamT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2020 at 23:33, binky_bass said:

same with me.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 09:57, jamesbur said:

A little birdy told me that apparently a limited run 6-string version is on the way for later this year! Not sure if that’s still the case given all the disruption but it’s something to keep an eye on! :)