Why become a member? ×

Parcelforce Woes

ash

I traded a bass on here a week before the lockdown. My Musicman Stingray for a Fender Precision Deluxe. The chap I traded with is new here but has a good record on eBay. I sent the Musicman bass using Parcelforce 24 and it turned up the following day at the other guy’s house and he emailed to say he is very happy with it.

My item also got sent via Parcelforce although initially it went to the wrong depot (literally sent to Coventry never to be seen again) according to tracking so I had to wait another day for it. When I eventually received my parcel - on the Friday - it was not the size of package I had expected for a cased guitar and when I opened it found it was a load of rugs and a big parasol in a long plastic bag. Initially the cynic in me thought It was a scam so I was going to ring the sender to challenge him about it. The label however had my name and address (and the tracking number he’d been sent originally on it) It also had another address and tracking number on it. I rang up the guy who I had traded with - he then rang Parcelforce. Their representative rang me and took all the details and said that they would ring me back - which they didn’t. At the time they said that they thought it may still be with them and would ring later.

Then nothing and when I tried to ring their helpline there was no facility to talk to anyone as it is menu driven with no option to speak to staff. I was told that this has changed because of staff shortages owing to the corona virus. 

Although I recognise these are strange times this is a ££££ worth of bass and I’m not sure what to do. The guy who I swapped with though helpful has been in touch frequently but tells me Parcelforce keep putting him on hold or not ringing him back. I have had no luck ringing them at all. I have no new tracking numbers. I do have the addresses of everyone concerned and have screen shots of all the tracking numbers. 

Last Monday  I rang Parcelforce as I was getting no updates from the sender and when I tracked one of the other barcodes on the package I had got found it was at the Medway depot which I then rang. I managed to get through to a real person who talked to me and informed me that my bass is still in the hub and that someone would ring me. They apologised as their staff are down due to C-19. I’m still awaiting that call. At this point I felt a little more reassured. They did confirm that the parcel has no tracking number however as the correct one is now redundant because of the mix up. I have had emails stating their concerns and acknowledgment of their mistake.

As is my habit I checked eBay for basses for sale that morning and newly listed was my Musicman which later had been sold - hmmm was it technically my bass as it hasn’t yet been paid for? I contacted the guy I traded with assured me he will give me some of the money if mine doesn’t turn up. Hmm some? 

I also managed to trace the parasol sender and they hopefully have been united with the new owner! 

This is a long winded and messy story but if I don’t get my bass I would think that Parcelforce are liable and if the sender hasn’t insured it properly then what should I do? 

It’s a difficult situation that seems a little trite in current circumstances but I do feel badly let down through no fault of my own. 

Anybody had any similar experiences or am I doomed? 

Cheers

• Sad 3

Difficult times, Ash. Given that Parcelforce have said they do have your item I’d take some reassurance from that. I’ve had similar where an item seemed to roam every street in Coventry before finally getting to me.

Giving the guy you’ve traded with the benefit of the doubt it may be he needed cash and just thought he’d be able to move the Stingray on quicker than the Fender (which given it’s now gone could support that).

If the bass doesn’t get to you I would think he would have to pay you the money that your ‘Ray sold for. Parcelforce don’t insure musical instruments - it’s in their T&Cs - so he wouldn’t be able to claim from them. So you would need to put in a claim on EBay, given that the ‘Ray sold on EBay he wouldn’t be able to plead poverty and say he had no way to reimburse you. The liability for the (possible) loss of the Fender stays with him for using a courier which prohibits insurance in what he has sent.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I can see this being put down as a civil dispute, if it came to legal action, as he hasn't stolen your bass, just not paid you for it. EBay or PayPal won't care as he hasn't sold stolen goods. 

You just have to hope it turns up but I know that helpless feeling when a courier losses something. 

Fingers crossed for you. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

Unfortunately, I can see this being put down as a civil dispute, if it came to legal action, as he hasn't stolen your bass, just not paid you for it. EBay or PayPal won't care as he hasn't sold stolen goods. 

You just have to hope it turns up but I know that helpless feeling when a courier losses something. 

Fingers crossed for you. 🙂

Cheers yes I understand that however I’m not accusing the sender of theft or otherwise but I do feel he was misguided and too hasty selling the item when nothing was resolved. I’ve told him that and he stated he sold it to raise money in case the bass doesn’t turn up. I’m afraid we all know that there are risks when sending anything in the post as none will insure correctly or accept liability I learned that lesson years ago. I’m baffled by Parcelforce’s ineptitude when it comes to simple reassurance and communication. 

Yes, sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you'd accused anyone of theft, just that it's a difficult situation to resolve if the bass doesn't turn up being that nobody (apart from parcelforce) has really done anything wrong. It really annoys me that couriers can just lose parcels and not be liable. In most people's jobs, if they mess up it has to be put right at their expense. 

Having said that I would say that the liability still lies with the sender as until it arrives it's still their responsibility. 

• Thanks 1

It seems to me the pain you are having is due to the other person, if they had packed it properly and labelled it better (no other labels etc) then the parcel probably would have been delivered without issue, like yours was!

I reckon the title of this thread should be "Trader woes", don't shoot the messenger as they say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Are you saying the parasols arrived at your address with two labels on the packaging ? 

Sorry, what I meant to say is are the labels  the self adhesive type?

Yes 

1 hour ago, Machines said:

With swaps if I'm the 'seller' I insist on the traded bass (which is payment) received before reciprocating. Would you send a bass to someone in ebay before they paid? 

He had actually sent it and sent me the tracking details prior to me sending mine although yes with hindsight I ought to have waited. 

I have no idea where P bass person, parasol person or you are located.

But It is absolutely normal for parcels to be transported and tracked to Coventry-- that is the National hub. It is not the wrong depot.

Sounds like your label came off and got attached to the other parcel, I would say if that is the case then the sender must be pretty inept in his packaging skills. It is a good idea to write the tracking number and address of the sender and the recipient somewhere else on the outside packaging, if something like this does happen the couriers have a chance of identifying the parties involved. 

If you have been told your bass is at the hub then it will be in Coventry and I honestly think you will get your bass delivered. Staff numbers are down 15 to 30% and they really are doing their best in this awful situation.

All the best, hope you get your bass soon

31 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

I have no idea where P bass person, parasol person or you are located.

But It is absolutely normal for parcels to be transported and tracked to Coventry-- that is the National hub. It is not the wrong depot.

Sounds like your label came off and got attached to the other parcel, I would say if that is the case then the sender must be pretty inept in his packaging skills. It is a good idea to write the tracking number and address of the sender and the recipient somewhere else on the outside packaging, if something like this does happen the couriers have a chance of identifying the parties involved. 

If you have been told your bass is at the hub then it will be in Coventry and I honestly think you will get your bass delivered. Staff numbers are down 15 to 30% and they really are doing their best in this awful situation.

All the best, hope you get your bass soon

Thanks for the reassurance - yes I always write a separate label when I post anything and before the courier adds their stickers/bar codes. I’ve sent literally hundreds of musical items and rarely had a problem and not had an issue like this before. I agree that the sender ought to have done this....but at least he admitted he hadn’t ! Fingers crossed you are correct. I’ll keep everyone updated. 

• Like 1

Hi Ash, what a bummer!  Not sure how you've been communicating with the seller but keep copies of posts/e-mails and log any phone calls.  As others have said, the good news is that PF say they have it so I'd like to think that all will end well 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fingers crossed for you. 

Although they do say it up front about not insuring instruments, that should not include items which have just gone missing in their possession. Items that size don't fall down the back of the drivers seat. They get broke, or stolen out the system. 

If they say its lost and then claim its not insured as its an instrument, so you won't be getting any money from them, that's them complicit in theft in my opinion. 

• 1 month later...

Over a month on since my last post ( oh the irony) and no sign of this. The sender opened a case and they - Parcelforce - closed it saying it was delivered - of course this was the wrong parcel. They have consistently refused to discuss anything with me other than acknowledging that the parcel has been lost. I found the CEO’s email and the sender contacted him and his PA has been looking into this however there were apparently no online records kept about the various conversations both myself and the sender have had with various Parcelforce staff members. One of the issues is a lack of a named person dealing with this. First names only given and no accountability. I used Parcelforce for most of my transactions. No more. As far as I’m concerned they have mugged me for just under a grand’s worth of bass. I’m livid. 

• Sad 2

I would be discussing this on their twitter page, on their facebook page, on your facebook page and all over their twitter feed. And telling them that you are discussing it all over every musician forum you can name. Name and shame all over the internet. Write a song about it and release it on YT and make sure we all log into it and like it. It does not have to go viral to millions, they only have to have their dirty laundry shown in public in a creative way.

The thought that Parcelforce is not keeping records of online conversations is at the very least.......... strange. There is a reason every company in the world tell us that every conversation is recorded for "training" purposes.

This whole thing totally sucks and PF need to be dragged through the mud until they at the very least refund you.

Edited by owen
  • Thanks 1