Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN, sorry folks. - Fender Precision
£500
Darlington

karlfer

Wanted one of these because of the neck dimensions & pickup,  I gave £800 in trade against a more expensive bass.

Quick, windy & wet car park meet, he said he had the action high cos he played hard with a pick. Hmmm.

Anyway, not sure if the neck is twisted/warped, or truss rod is maxxed out, hence the price (remember this cost me the equivalent of £800 + fuel, in the days we could drive). Pictures are dreadful, but action is 4/32 at 12th fret on bass & treble side.

IF (BIG IF) you do like a high action, you may well be getting a bargain!

IF YOU have great luthier skills (or a spare neck in your bits box 😆) you may be getting a bargain.

2013 model, one of the first. Light at 8lb 12oz. Gator style hard case included, I have the FF plate somewhere.

UK courier only, BUYER TO ORGANISE & PAY. Payment by either bank transfer or PayPal family & friends. My feedback shows I won't stiff anybody (linked below).

Sorry, unusually I'm not open to any negotiation on this one, I'm losing a bloody fortune.

It won't be up for very long as I'm really thinking about throwing more money at it & getting a maple boarded jazz neck.

Thanks for looking & please stay safe,

cheers,

Karl.

A.JPG

DSCF3606 (2).JPG

DSCF3607 (2).JPG

DSCF3608 (2).JPG

DSCF3609 (2).JPG

DSCF3610 (2).JPG

DSCF3612 (2).JPG

DSCF3613 (2).JPG

DSCF3614 (2).JPG

DSCF3616 (2).JPG

DSCF3617 (2).JPG

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
topic title reinstated

3 minutes ago, Bassman666 said:

What is the relief of the neck like? As if its OK with the rod where it is, could you not just shim the neck? I take it the truss rod doesn't move? . Just a thought that might save such a big loss! 

Firstly, WALSHY, you're a star!

Bassman, the relief is around 1/32" at the high point. I've had the neck off twice & tightened it. The truss rod MAY move a little more, but it's tight & I don't want to put anymore pressure on the screw.

Doing a shim will only push the neck up at the heel, it won't alter the relief??

Karl

Ive sent a PM but there is a potential fix you could try. Remove the truss nut and add a washer or two before putting the truss nut back on. It usually adds more adjustment to get the forward bow out. If it doesn’t quite work, add another washer - it should help and almost solve it completely.

Cheers

Vin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vinorange said:

Karl

Ive sent a PM but there is a potential fix you could try. Remove the truss nut and add a washer or two before putting the truss nut back on. It usually adds more adjustment to get the forward bow out. If it doesn’t quite work, add another washer - it should help and almost solve it completely.

Cheers

Vin

Ooooh, there's a thought. Another star, thanks Vin, that's something I'd never have thought of, but I've read about it in the past.

My memories not, er, what was I saying (I'm here all week, the government insists 😆).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vinorange said:

Karl

Cheers

Vin

I did this with my old Roscoe Beck Signature which had way too much relief in it (perhaps something to do with with it being a 22 fret model rather than a 21 and having a short rod fitted?). I put just one washer on and, et voila, perfect. Certainly worth a go.

• Like 1

Action issues aside, that looks like a beautifully contoured body.

On the action issue, depending on relief, I’d have thought a shim too. Excellent advice from vinorange if you have the confidence/tools. If not, I’d be thinking of sitting this out and taking the bass to a good luthier - I’d recommend Jack’s if you’re travelling through Manchester

Edited by three
spelling
  • Like 1

Loads of great ideas & advice, thanks guys.

If it's still here after the weekend I'm going go try a couple of the suggestions, nowt to lose, possibly a lot to gain.

You know that bass that don't work properly, you sit it in the corner out of the way but you can FEEL it looking at you 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Karl,

don’t sell it short try the extra washer method and shim as suggested I’ve used both methods and successfully sorted out neck issues. Also the trussrod may just be tight there’s loads of tips on various sites about remedying this. If all else fails buy a Status neck for it. We have had a few conversations about this and they do now produce a neck with a ‘maple’ board. 
Good luck and stay safe! 

• Like 1