Why become a member? ×

Vintage style tuners for Squier PJ Bass

Pirellithecat

I guess I'm now officially bored and have been fiddling around with my bass.

I've cleaned it, fitted a new KiOgon wiring loom (excellent!) and nearly worn it out playing it - much to Mrs P's irritation.

It's a Squier Precision Standard Special made in Indonesia around 15 years ago.   It's a black PJ with nice matching headstock to which I've added SD Pickups, a better bridge and had it properly set up/fret dressed etc.   It sounds and plays remarkably well. 

Whilst functional, the original tuners are a bit weak so I was wondering about upgrading them with vintage style replacements.  Looking for something like those found on the 62 re-issue fenders eg something like Schaller BMFL's  and the Gotoh FB30 (pricey!).   However these seem rather large for the available space on the headstock.   

Anyone tried these or other replacements?

Thanks

When funds permit I'd like to replace the tuners on my Jap '57 reissue with the period correct tuners. Why 70's style tuners were fitted to 50's/60's so called reissues baffles me. 

So I'm looking at getting these:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pure_vintage_bass_machine_head.htm

I just hope that the four screw holes on the base plate match up and the pegs are the same width. 

If these would fit I'd go for them too - they look great!   I've failed to find the dimensions though so if anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great.  I suspect they are too big for the Squier headstock, although I'm pretty sure I've seen something like these on a old Japanese-made Squier.   

As long as I can find something that fits I'm happy to make new screw holes as my Squier isn't really worth much in terms of cash so I shan't be making at any more worthless than it already is. Plays really well though!  

The tuners bigthumb want to remove are the type you want Pirellithecat - maybe you can do a deal?

Bigthumb, you will need to drill extra holes to go from 70s to 60s style tuners as the holes aren't the same place on both. Also the pure vintage and others made on the same way have folded over tabs on the back which will prevent the tuners fitting flush to the back of the headstock unless you make shallow holes/dimples to accomodate them.

For 60s style tuners I'm a big fan of Gotoh GB640 res-o-lites - I have fitted these to both of my Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbirds where they look fantastic. Although they are more expensive than most, these are lightweight and flat on the back of the plate. Unlike other 60s-style tuners they are available in non-reverse wind and reverse wind versions - I use the non-reverse version so they work like the tuners on my other basses.

10 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

That's very interesting Jean-Luc ..........  BIgthumb what do you reckon?   Any chance of pointing me in the direction of a photo of the tuners on your bass?  Thanks everyone ... 

These are Hipshot replacements. 

I’ll have to take a closer look at the vintage style replacements. If they’ll fit without making too much of a mess I still might put some on as I think it would make the bass look so much better.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm interested to see how you get on. I've also got one of those Standard Specials, and on one of the tuners a piece of the shaft that the "ear" grips onto has broken off. It still tunes alright, but I know it's going to give up on me at some point!

The headstock on the thunderbird vintage pro is a good bit longer than other thunderbirds I've owned.

The tuners on Bigthumb's Precision are Hipshot HB2s https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-tuning/products/hb2-bass-tuning-machine

I have a set with lollipop paddles on the fretless bitzer precision I built.

The HB7s have a smaller plate and are the ones made to fit on Mexican Fenders.