Why become a member? ×

Quiz Game

dmccombe7

53 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Nazareth

Saw them at Perth Harley Davidson bike rally albiet only for 1st 2 songs as way too loud it was painful. They emtied the venue apart from first 2-3 rows in between the PA speakers. Listened to the rest of their show from foyer.

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nope saw them in Glasgow Royal Concert Hall mid 90's with the amazing Paul Carrack on vocals and Tim Renwick on guitar. 

Would love to have seen them with that line up. Love Paul Carrack and seen him in his own right several times!

1 hour ago, Earbrass said:

Camel?

Saw them during their I Can See Your House from Here tour.

55 minutes ago, Fozza said:

Big Country?

Saw them support Bowie on Glass Spider tour at Sunderland football ground mid 80's when Peter Frampton was playing guitar with backing band. Big Country were so energetic and powerful i was totally blown away by them live.

Edited by dmccombe7

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Who’s left? Lone Star?

Yep spot on. Its one of my fav rock bands from the late 70's era but never managed to see them. I've seen John Sloman with Uriah Heep and Paul Chapman with UFO. Did actually meet John Sloman and he was a real gem of a guy. 

Your turn again Trevor

Yay! Good luck I’ve got a few lined up and ready to go. Right, get a load of this one! And remember only ONE of these ISN’T true!

1. Cliff Richard
  2. Paper Lace
  3. Budgie
  4. Vince Hill
  5. Corduroy 
  6. The Merseybeats
  7. Bernie Marsden’s Alaska
  8. Des O’Connor
  9. The Crickets
  10. Roy Castle

I love acid jazz but was only vaguely aware of Corduroy until their bassist did a chat at a SE Bass Bash a while back.

So why all the cheesy cabaret stars? My dad ran the butchery department at Liptons supermarket in Truro in the late 70s but ran it like a proper family butcher’s shop, priding himself on great service to the customers (he got great Christmas boxes from the customers!). One of his customers was the manager of Talk of the West, “Cornwall’s Premier Night Spot” (read “only”). It was strict chicken in a basket circuit with variety acts and bands on the way down with warm up provided by the Viv Rodd Combo featuring Viv Rodd on the Hammond Organ. Dad would regularly get tickets for the family given to him as a tip - him, me and mum. Chicken and chips in a basket included. I was only 12 or 13 so was taken along on pain of death that if asked my age I was to say I was 15. It was never a problem because the manager had always reserved us a good table and greeted mum and dad with “Alfie, Ada! Lovely to see you! Come on in, I've got a nice table reserved for you.” No one questioned me after that! Saw some great acts there - all the 70s TV variety-show greats. They were all great and spotting the kid in the audience were really nice to me, chatting and giving me signed photos and the like. All except Mike and Bernie Winters... Mike was really nice but Bernie was a right #@%*... Best performer of all, and simply the nicest person to the punters was Roy Castle. Saw him every time he came down. Total gent.

• Like 1