Why become a member? ×

Quiz Game

dmccombe7

8 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Evanescence?

Is the correct answer!  Had tickets to show in Manchester that was cancelled at the last minute and the band subsequently disappeared from view for a few years.

When they did the big PG reunion raise funds for Womad thing they did a small warm up gig so, basically, they could rehearse all the old tunes. Saw them at the Cornwall Coliseum - a medium sized regional venue. Couldn’t have held more than three or four thousand for a standing gig! They did loads of PG era stuff. So as well as Follow You Follow Me, Abacab and Turn It On Again we got tunes like  Watcher Of The Skies, Carpet Crawlers, I Know What I Like and a full length Supper’s Ready! Was about 20 feet from the stage, right in front of Mike for most of it!

Beats half a mile away at Wembley, any day!

Edited by TrevorR

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Elkie Brooks she hasn't toured much in  quite a while (as far as i know)

Elkie was my second ever proper gig! One week after seeing Thin Lizzy back  summer of 1981 (the tickets were my birthday present). I had liked Fool If You Think It’s Over and picked up a few of her early (Lieber & Stoller) produced solo albums. Much more Vinegar Joe than Pearl's A Singer.  It was when Nights In White Satin was a hit and unlike Lizzy was a seated gig at the Cornwall Coliseum.

She did a short 20 minute greatest hits set with all the tunes from the radio then said, “Right, that’s got that out of the way. Now let’s have some fun. Let’s rock and roll!” and she proceeded to do a fabulous hour”s blues rock set. The MD for the band was Geoff Whitehorn so that gives an idea of the level of rockiness! My ears rang louder and longer for that gig than for Lizzy. Heaven help the folks who came along expect two hours of Pearl’s A Singer!  :D

Saw her headlining an open air (bring wine and a picnic type) gig in the 2000s at Ascot Racecourse doing a jazz set. That was great too!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Nanci Griffith

Did From A Distance with the folk band I had back around university (before it got ruined by Cliff and Bette Midler) so listened to a lot of Nanci’s albums. In fact our singer did the song at our wedding during  the signing the register bit.

Seen Nanci live many times and interviewed her for a web magazine I used to write for. Still love her tunes. Also, a lovely singer chum, Edwina Hayes has supported her several times which was a bonus!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Whitesnake

And we have a winner... would have loved to have seen the classic blues rock line up of The Snake with Marsden, Moody and Murray.  Once they went 80s hair metal with Vai, Sykes, Vandenberg et all they held absolutely no appeal. In 81 when I’d seen Lizzy and Elkie and had tickets booked for Gillan (with Janick Gers rather than Bernie Tormé sadly) both pocket money and Dad’s taxi service (the only Cornish venue was 20 odd miles away from Truro in St Austell) were too stretched to fit in another gig. 

• Like 2

I won again! 😳 getting embarrassing.  😊 I might be running out now.... 

1. Prodigy. 
2. Kaiser Chiefs.  
3. Gregory Porter.  
4. Mavis Staples. 
5. The Zutons. 
6. Stereophonics. 
7.  Basement jaxx.  
8.  The Noisettes.  
9.  The Fratellis.  
10.  Keane. 

I’ve never seen the prodigy live , but I used to see keith flint and the other members regularly in a music shop in Romford called Boogie Times, they had a studio nearby, and firestarter is my favourite tune by them .   Could it be Keane ?

47 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

And we have a winner... would have loved to have seen the classic blues rock line up of The Snake with Marsden, Moody and Murray.  Once they went 80s hair metal with Vai, Sykes, Vandenberg et all they held absolutely no appeal. In 81 when I’d seen Lizzy and Elkie and had tickets booked for Gillan (with Janick Gers rather than Bernie Tormé sadly) both pocket money and Dad’s taxi service (the only Cornish venue was 20 odd miles away from Truro in St Austell) were too stretched to fit in another gig. 

Yeah, original line up the best.  I had their first EP in 7" white vinyl.