Why become a member? ×

Quiz Game

dmccombe7

As @Stub Mandrel guessed, Depeche Mode are the 80s synth band I have never seen. They were supposed to have been the support for a gig I went to in 1980, but they were replaced at the last minute by another band off the Some Bizarre Album (Naked Lunch IIRC).

I've seen A Flock Of Seagulls more times then any of the other bands on this list, not because I'm a fan (I can't stand them and I always thought their music and image was completely fake) but because they seemed to be the support for every good 80s band I went to see. 

I saw Duran Duran in early 1981at Rock City on their first proper tour just after the Planet Earth single came out.

Erasure also at Rock City just before they they were really famous when Andy Bell was still performing in his latex leotard.

I saw Freur at the Marquee in London in 1985 at their only UK gig they did to promote their "Devil & Darkness" single.

I didn't get to see The Human League until 2014. At the time of the first two albums the gigs closest to where I was living were all cancelled because the albums weren't selling well enough. They got kicked off the Talking Heads support slot. I was going to see them at Rock City for the tour they did immediately after the Human League/Heaven 17 split, but that was also cancelled because Rock City was still under construction. By the time of the next tour they were massively famous and it was impossible to get tickets.

I've seen Kraftwerk twice. The first time in 1981 at Rock City which is up there as one of the best gigs I have ever been to. The sound was crystal clear and they had films or computer graphics for almost every song they played. For the encore they came down to the front of the stage and allowed the audience to "play a little melody" on Pocket Calculator. Being at the front I was one of the lucky ones to have a go. The second time a saw them was 10 years later when the show was almost exactly the same except the computer graphics were a bit slicker and the static dummies they used on "We Are The Robots" had been replaced by actual robots.

I saw Soft Cell at Rock City at a Futurist Night where they were the mystery special guests. The rumour was that it was going to be Spandau Ballet, so most of the audience were more than a little disappointed to see two weirdos with a keyboard and backing tape on stage. This was before they released "Tainted Love" so I imagine most of them didn't know who they were. The tape machine broke down during the fifth song and they left to a hail of (plastic) glasses. 

I saw The Thompson Twins in 1980 at Trent Poly when they were still a 4-piece guitar pop band.

I saw Ultravox also in 1980 at The Theatre Royal in Nottingham on the first tour they did with Midge Ure in the band.

Nope, got dragged along to see Radiohead. Only drealised they were a 'known' band when they played Paranoid Android and I recognised it...

Cornershop -I saw them before they became famous supporting Gong(!) They were utterly dire - noise for the sake of noise, basically Zero Tolerance for Silence less the talent and musicality...

• Haha 1

Right then.  I'll do one more and then in the unlikely event of another successful guess on my part I'll defer further goes unless large 'incentives' are involved :ph34r:

Rock theme this time:

1. Kiss
  2. Deep Purple
  3. Iron Maiden
  4. Evanescence
  5. Rush
  6. The Who
  7. Steven Wilson
  8. Jethro Tull
  9. Buena Vista Social Club (the metal years)
  10. IQ