Why become a member? ×

Quiz Game

dmccombe7

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Jeff Lynne's ELO

We have a winner. ELO (and Thin Lizzy) are by far my favourite band. And have been since the late 70s but I’ve never seen them live. ☹️ I was too young and lived too far from civilisation  to see them in the 70s or early 80s. And then it seemed like Jeff would never tour again. 

I did see ELO Part II in the early 2000s which featured most of the band except Jeff.... Bev, Mik, Kelly, Hugh... which was an absolute treat. One of my fave ever gigs. Down near the front at a decent sized venue for it still to be intimate (Guildford Civic Hall) and singing along to all those great tunes. Wonderful.

Since the Hyde Park gig our little boy has been too young to take to gigs but last year we took him out to his first ever “real gig” - The ELO Experience featuring our very own @casapete. Wonderful open air gig with a Blondie tribute band supporting. He loved it.

So, we thought “Well next time they tour...” but when the tickets came out this spring took one look and thought “£450 - £600 quid for tickets for the three of us... And no guarantee he won’t get overwhelmed by being in an enormodome and we’ll have to leave part way through... I really don’t think so!”  So for now I think we’ll just keep it to The ELO Experience for our ELO live fixes!

Irony is I now know no less than 2 members of ELO. One of my little boy’s friends in his class, his Grandad was in the band on cello for a couple of albums in the early years. And a guy I know, Jo, has been playing keys for them for the last couple of tours. Still don’t think I’ll ever see then, though...

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Toyah!! 

Took my, then, girlfriend to see her in early summer 1983 on The Changeling tour. Had absolutely no expectations but Lucy wanted to see her. The show was blooming brilliant! She was a great front woman and the band included Bebop Delux’s Andy Clark on keys, Phil Spalding on bass and a very young but no less brilliant Simon Phillips on drums! 😮

My turn again. Gonna get more difficult as we go along but here goes. :-

Whitesnake

David Bowie

Sweet

Steve Hackett

Frankie Miller

Jack Bruce

Iron Maiden

Magnum

Peter Gabriel

Max Webster

Edited by dmccombe7

8 minutes ago, ead said:

Jack Bruce

Nope saw him at my local venue in Wishaw with his session band early 80's

5 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Peter gabriel

Altho i only stayed for first few songs in Glasgow Apollo and got bored. Not really my cup of tea at that time. Few yrs later i did get what he was doing and enjoyed his music. Probably because of Tony Levin.

2 hours ago, ead said:

Magnum looks slightly out of context :ph34r:

Again at my local venue in wishaw. Did the roadie thing for them to get their gear in. They were a weird lot. I was a fan until i met them. Don't touch my hair singer, bass player that couldn't see end of stage without his glasses and wouldn't wear them when playing, drummer who wouldn't let anyone touch his kit or even his drum cases when loading in. Guitarist that kept himself to himself. Only one that was spot on was Mark Stanway who was a true star and a gent and went for chips with us.

Dave

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

sweet 

Spot on @Reggaebass By time i started going to concerts my musical tastes had moved on to Thin Lizzy and Rush etc

Sadly i would loved to have seen the original Sweet with Brian Connelly. 

My current 70's Glam Rock covers band does quite a few of their 70's hits. Our drummer had lessons from Mick Tucker and also knows Steve Priest well from when they lived in same area.

Dave

• Like 1

Cheers @Reggaebass I will do my best!  Here's a few blues-type combos plus a few miscellaneous artists for your delectation:

1. Cream
  2. Joanne Shaw Taylor
  3. The Blues Band
  4. King King
  5. Bad Company
  6. P-A-U-L
  7. Aynsley Lister
  8. Martin Barre
  9. Caro Emerald
  10. KT Tunstall