Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

Just an update, haven't purchased yet due to this whole coronavirus pandemic, having to watch the pennies for a moment as something has cropped up, but should hopefully be ordering within the week or so! :D shall give a heads up when it's ordered :D 

Hello.

There’s a Yamaha bb404 for sale here. Buy that - save the bother of looking for a Squier.

one sec - I’ll find it - I keep on going to buy it...but I don’t need it. Waiting for someone who does need it - that’s you.

one sec...

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Hello.

There’s a Yamaha bb404 for sale here. Buy that - save the bother of looking for a Squier.

one sec - I’ll find it - I keep on going to buy it...but I don’t need it. Waiting for someone who does need it - that’s you.

one sec...

Thank you, but I got my heart set on the Sire V7 :D 

9 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Don't be silly not a problem, lot's of different mini conversations happening on this thread lol! 😂

Buy a sadowsky...that’s where I’m at, taken 23 years of buying and selling to realise that either Yamaha or Sadowsky are the answer.

@Al Krow is about to be in the same boat...

12 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Hey! 

Yes i'd love to learn things like...

Luther vandross - Never too much

Lizzo - Juice

Talking head songs like Psycho Killer

Stevie Wonder - Do I Do, Sir duke etc

Haircut 100 - Favourite Shirt 

Anything from Paul Simons Graceland Album

I know some of these songs i wont be able to play until ive played for a while but these are the goals! 

Ah, now, you're talking! Bear in mind much of the bass of Paul Simon is by Baikithi Kumalo.  Who plays unlined fretless bass.  Which is not quite as hard as it sounds.  Which would put you in a tiny very cool percentage of bassists, and can be acquired for just £199 new.  The Revelation RPB-65  IMHO matches  the Squier for build quality.  And may be bought from Bass Gallery, the hippest bass store in London. There you go.  Case solved.  Next...

[PS Revelation also do basses with stabilisers, or frets as they're called, if you still mean to go down that road.  But if you can afford it, I would agree the Sire is the best all round solution]

rev.fret_.jpg

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Welcome to BassChat! Just be grateful that there are no cheese puns......oh no! What have I done?

:facepalm:

And we're all very grateful for that!

:D 

And in case anyone starts with them, we'll have to act Caerphilly - then it'll all be gouda.

:|

:)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Ooooooffff the prices of the sadowsky lol! 😂

But for your extra £2,250 to £4,000 (new) over the cost of your Sire V7, which btw looks pretty much identical to a Sadowsky on a darkened stage - just quickly check body shape and headstock,  you get this:

image.png.05e2eca86bff5e2f0671f795726c20e5.png

AND most importantly these, which do look super cool and justify the price premium by themselves:

image.png.5bc7ddbfbd4b015d09b5fe9a773080df.png

But if you're not fussed about having nice knobs straight out of the box, you can stick with your Sire (at least for the next 23 years) and continue to buy milk for the next 6 months 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Add one of those Sadowsky preamp pedals to the passive bass of your choice for some of Roger’s fairy dust, it’s what I do. They’re not cheap but they are really good. However, there are one of each size for sale within our community at a more affordable price.

Edited by ezbass