Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

20 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

All the above is sound advice, but the best advice is...pick one and get playing. Squiers are great for the money and easily saleable when you want to upgrade. 

There are Bass Collection Jive basses you might want to consider

http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection-jive-bass.html

I have one of their Power Basses and it's excellent

Haha i agree think i need to crack on and purchase now! 

• Like 1

I look at it this way.

I own Fenders, Sanbergs, G&L but if I was starting all over again, I would buy 2 Sire V7 Vintage model basses. Two because I would need a backup for gigging. One in black the other in that candy apple red colour.

Just get the black one ordered and let us all know in a week or so how happy you are with your new bass! :D

• Like 2

Just now, jezzaboy said:

I look at it this way.

I own Fenders, Sanbergs, G&L but if I was starting all over again, I would buy 2 Sire V7 Vintage model basses. Two because I would need a backup for gigging. One in black the other in that candy apple red colour.

Just get the black one ordered and let us all know in a week or so how happy you are with your new bass! :D

Totally right there! Black one for me i think! Do love the red one, but something about black always stands out to me! I sure will post on here once i've got it, might even do a cheeky unboxing for the youtubes! :D 

• Like 1

He's one funky old Dude. We we're lucky enough to have him come play and talk at the South East Bass Bash a few years ago... complete with that very Tuba (that he played in the RAF band IIRC), along with the Jazz and the Upright Bass that he played on Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side!

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

He's one funky old Dude. We we're lucky enough to have him come play and talk at the South East Bass Bash a few years ago... complete with that very Tuba (that he played in the RAF band IIRC), along with the Jazz and the Upright Bass that he played on Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side!

oh wow that is awesome!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Frank's a real BC gent...

You flatter me @Al Krow, thank you very much. I've been called similar a few times on BC and I simply can't get used to it, I suppose that's because you lot have only ever known me as a reasonably genial over fifty year old whereas I still think of myself as a nose-picking obscenity-spewing punk with a penchant for existentialism and vandalism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

You flatter me @Al Krow, thank you very much. I've been called similar a few times on BC and I simply can't get used to it, I suppose that's because you lot have only ever known me as a reasonably genial over fifty year old whereas I still think of myself as a nose-picking obscenity-spewing punk with a penchant for existentialism and vandalism.

Any punk who includes the word 'existentialism' casually in a sentence needs his status examining under the Trades Descriptions Act.

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Any punk who includes the word 'existentialism' casually in a sentence needs his status examining under the Trades Descriptions Act.

Ah, all the punks around my way with a vocabulary that extended beyond 'Oi' ended up listening to Crass and wearing Tibetan clothes. With hindsight I expect we were actually mid to late seventies hippie variants, such was the nature of our ontological musings, ahem.

• Like 1

Existentialism aside and getting back on topic (haha!) here's the thing -  I've been gobsmacked by how much positivity there is around the Sire basses from the BC community on this thread. Kinda feels like the OP is not going to go too far wrong if she decides to go for the V7 she has her eye on, and could well end up with a bass that will serve her well for a long while to come.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Existentialism, that's a bit of niche sect now isn't it?

Edited by grandad
correction

10 hours ago, Teebs said:

Oi @Ricky 4000

>:(

What's all this 'weird' business!?! O.o

I'll have you know I'm COMPLETELY normal for Manchester! :laugh1:

10 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

He’s just jealous as us Manc’s know that on the 7th day God created Man-chester

9 hours ago, Teebs said:

Damn right!

:sun_bespectacled:

It's not my fault!

Since I installed the "Urban Insult Generator and Spellchecker®" It changes 'My wise friend Teebs from Manchester' into 'My weird friend Teebs from Madchester'.

I don't know what to do! 😬 I don't want to waste the 99p it cost me for the app... 😗

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CamdenRob said:

Welcome to Basschat. My prediction is you’ll own 10 basses by the end of the year and respond to every future post with “it’s all in the fingers” 👍 

10 basses? But that's the perfect number! 😁

From another thread, but highly relevant (if I say so myself)...

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Apologies to one and all. I got it wrong. The ideal number of basses is NOT nine as I had droned on about earlier in this thread.

After further deep regression analysis (and the recent purchase of "just one more" bass), it's now clear to me where I got my assumptions wrong. The ideal number has nothing to do with not getting into double figures to assist us in shielding our mischief from our better halves, as I had previously incorrectly assumed, but everything to do with the number of fingers on both hands to enable us to properly count them.

The ideal number is actually TEN.

As you were folks. I will be issuing a press release to this effect shortly.

Btw having just got to the magic number of 10 basses, I can formally confirm that it's all in the fingers.

Although having a bass to attach to some strings, a cable and some form of amplification does help.

• Haha 2

Like everyone has said, there's not much between the basses you're considering and you can't really go wrong with any of them. The Sire's are a little more fiddly with the controls, but after 5 minutes of playing with them you'll get what they do so I wouldn't worry about that.

Our of the Squier and Sire, I'd say the Sire is probably slightly better made in terms of quality (plus, depending on the model you go for, you either get a free or discount on a gig bag), there's not loads in it though. However, personally I'd go for the Squier as it has a gloss neck which I prefer. It really is horses for courses though and there's no wrong answer here 😂

What sort of bands do you like or songs do you want to learn? If we knew that it might make a difference in the bass people recommend. 

Amp & cables wise.......both of your choices are safe bets (again!). Orange make good amps, I have a 15w Fender Rumble for home use and would recommend that too. The orange has a built in tuner which is handy, but you can get an app for that. The Fender is 50 odd quid cheaper and looks to be in stock next week whereas the orange isn't in stock until the end of the month....... Which will probably be a deciding factor by the sounds of things! 

Fender cables are good too. I can't speak for the one you've chosen but should imagine they're good as I've had 3 of these for 5 or so years now and they've never let me down... 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-deluxe-series-instrument-cable-straight-straight-10-black-tweed

Welcome to the forum!! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

It's not my fault!

Since I installed the "Urban Insult Generator and Spellchecker®" It changes 'My wise friend Teebs from Manchester' into 'My weird friend Teebs from Madchester'.

I don't know what to do! 😬 I don't want to waste the 99p it cost me for the app... 😗

Message @Skinnyman

immediately and often!

:laugh1:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Like everyone has said, there's not much between the basses you're considering and you can't really go wrong with any of them. The Sire's are a little more fiddly with the controls, but after 5 minutes of playing with them you'll get what they do so I wouldn't worry about that.

Our of the Squier and Sire, I'd say the Sire is probably slightly better made in terms of quality (plus, depending on the model you go for, you either get a free or discount on a gig bag), there's not loads in it though. However, personally I'd go for the Squier as it has a gloss neck which I prefer. It really is horses for courses though and there's no wrong answer here 😂

What sort of bands do you like or songs do you want to learn? If we knew that it might make a difference in the bass people recommend. 

Amp & cables wise.......both of your choices are safe bets (again!). Orange make good amps, I have a 15w Fender Rumble for home use and would recommend that too. The orange has a built in tuner which is handy, but you can get an app for that. The Fender is 50 odd quid cheaper and looks to be in stock next week whereas the orange isn't in stock until the end of the month....... Which will probably be a deciding factor by the sounds of things! 

Fender cables are good too. I can't speak for the one you've chosen but should imagine they're good as I've had 3 of these for 5 or so years now and they've never let me down... 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-deluxe-series-instrument-cable-straight-straight-10-black-tweed

Welcome to the forum!! 

Hey! 

Yes i'd love to learn things like...

Luther vandross - Never too much

Lizzo - Juice

Talking head songs like Psycho Killer

Stevie Wonder - Do I Do, Sir duke etc

Haircut 100 - Favourite Shirt 

Anything from Paul Simons Graceland Album

I know some of these songs i wont be able to play until ive played for a while but these are the goals! 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Existentialism aside and getting back on topic (haha!) here's the thing -  I've been gobsmacked by how much positivity there is around the Sire basses from the BC community on this thread. Kinda feels like the OP is not going to go too far wrong if she decides to go for the V7 she has her eye on, and could well end up with a bass that will serve her well for a long while to come.

Do you feel the V7 is a good choice? :D 

3 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Hey! 

Yes i'd love to learn things like...

Luther vandross - Never too much

Lizzo - Juice

Talking head songs like Psycho Killer

Stevie Wonder - Do I Do, Sir duke etc

Haircut 100 - Favourite Shirt 

Anything from Paul Simons Graceland Album

I know some of these songs i wont be able to play until ive played for a while but these are the goals! 

I know you've mentioned Tina Weymouth before -- Great, and her bass lines tend to be fairly 'accessible' to us mere mortal players! 👍

Also, tell us more about meeting David Byrne!! 😃