Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

The biggest thing is to play the bass if you can before buying.

Doesnt matter if it’s made by Dave down the road or Fender or whoever-if it feels right, it’s a good price in your range then go for it.

No matter what the name or looks  of it does not feel right to play or sound like you want you will always fight it and not be happy

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Actually, my weird friend @Teebs has a Classic Vibe Jazz -- He will probably tell you about it!

Hiya Pepsi-Abi :crigon_04:

Ricky"s 'weird friend Teebs' here.

I bought a new Squier 70s VM bass in Olympic White about 18 months ago & think it was great value for money - it used to get used every week for the open mic night I ran before The C-Virus - solid, reliable, well built, pretty.

I couldn't tell you about the Contemporary, other than it looks good & the coloured headstock is nice.

I'd recommend the 70s highly 👍

Also worth checking out the Yamaha BB234, but a tad more expensive.

Oi @Ricky 4000

>:(

What's all this 'weird' business!?! O.o

I'll have you know I'm COMPLETELY normal for Manchester! :laugh1:

• Like 1

The Squiers are very good basses, I have the Vintage Modified 77 Jazz (same black/maple as CV but with pearl blocks not black ones) and the quality and playability is amazing for a so called budget instrument. 

• Like 1

I am a big fan of the Ibanez basses, the SR300 range are great value for money and worth a look.

I also have a Squier Jazz bass deluxe (discontinued now I believe) which I bought as an entry level 5 string with a view of upgrading in the future.  It has been an absolute joy to play and I've never felt the need to upgrade it.  You really can't go wrong with the Squier basses in terms of value for money.

Colour is important - odd as it sounds, if you like the look of your bass, you're more likely to pick it up.  My first bass was a horrible sun-burst effort and I couldn't wait to get rid of it!  Shallow I know. 

Enjoy the search - that's part of the fun!

• Like 3

When you get the bass you want, I recommend learning to set the action up on it. For decades I struggled with badly set up basses, until I found basschat and realised how easy it is to set them up properly to make them easier to play.

Oh.....and buy secondhand if you can. As when you upgrade you won't lose money when you sell it on (basses and guitars are one of the very few things that don't depreciate if you buy them secondhand).

• Like 4

:crigon_04:

Sounds like you’ve already made a solid choice on the type of instrument you want and, for what it’s worth, I agree with the other folks in choosing the CV. I’ve played both CV P and J basses in the past and they seem really well built and punch well above their price point, plus they make great platforms for upgrading later.

• Like 1

It is worth trying any bass you are thinking of buying before you buy as it is not only the style or type but other factors such as weight, body size and scale length.

I must say looking at some of the bass player pictures posted in this thread one ore more would be better off with a short or medium scale which would make their playing far more comfortable.

Re the bass you are looking at I think all the points have been mentioned already.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

• Like 1

I think that every bass mentioned so far in this thread is of similar quality, it's just a matter of how you want to sound and how you want it to look.

Another thing to consider is weight and ergonomics, depending on your build and strength. A set with a bass that's too heavy is a pain in the ar5e for anyone. The Ibanez, with their smaller, more sculpted body and slim neck tend to be much lighter and sound every bit as good as the alternatives in this price bracket. My partner bought the Fender Jazz she'd always fancied, but with it's large slabby body, heavier neck and big headstock, it didn't take her long to realise that she was much happier with the SR300 that she had all along.

Given that a large percentage of how you sound comes from your fingers, you will always sound better on an instrument that you find comfortable to play, regardless of body woods, pickups, electronics, etc.

• Like 2

Further to some good advice thus far, I'd suggest tapping up a local BC'er to try out their kit; we won't need an excuse to have a cup of tea and nerdy chat about instruments!  Although you could be waiting a while for the lockdown to end....

Edited by foxyFuze
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Although you could be waiting a while for the lockdown to end....

And here’s the problem. Perhaps @pepsi-abi is new enough to our community to be able to show some restraint and wait the lockdown out. For those of us ‘old hands’ on the forum, I know full well I would get impatient and just order one (yeah, you who are GAS afflicted know you would too 😂) and send it back it if required.

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

The biggest thing is to play the bass if you can before buying.

Doesnt matter if it’s made by Dave down the road or Fender or whoever-if it feels right, it’s a good price in your range then go for it.

No matter what the name or looks  of it does not feel right to play or sound like you want you will always fight it and not be happy

Yeah I agree with you on that but sadly due to lockdown unable to go anywhere to try out a bass, and seeing as i love learning instruments and have the time to sit and learn i thought why the heck not lol, i've been saving for a bass for a while. 
I'm stuck between squier classic vibe 70s and the sterling by music man sub ray 4, but im leaning more towards the squier. :) 

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

And here’s the problem. Perhaps @pepsi-abi is new enough to our community to be able to show some restraint and wait the lockdown out. For those of us ‘old hands’ on the forum, I know full well I would get impatient and just order one (yeah, you who are GAS afflicted know you would too 😂) and send it back it if required.

haha i'm trying to be patient but if this lockdown is looking towards summer time don't think my music head could wait that long 😂

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

Hiya Pepsi-Abi :crigon_04:

Ricky"s 'weird friend Teebs' here.

I bought a new Squier 70s VM bass in Olympic White about 18 months ago & think it was great value for money - it used to get used every week for the open mic night I ran before The C-Virus - solid, reliable, well built, pretty.

I couldn't tell you about the Contemporary, other than it looks good & the coloured headstock is nice.

I'd recommend the 70s highly 👍

Also worth checking out the Yamaha BB234, but a tad more expensive.

Oi @Ricky 4000

>:(

What's all this 'weird' business!?! O.o

I'll have you know I'm COMPLETELY normal for Manchester! :laugh1:

Ahh that is great to hear, will have a look at the Yamaha BB234, I am quite a fan of yamaha, my piano is :D thank you for your help! (Still leaning towards the squier) :P 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

The Squiers are very good basses, I have the Vintage Modified 77 Jazz (same black/maple as CV but with pearl blocks not black ones) and the quality and playability is amazing for a so called budget instrument. 

Ooooh! That is so good to hear, thank you! :D 

1 hour ago, kendall said:

I am a big fan of the Ibanez basses, the SR300 range are great value for money and worth a look.

I also have a Squier Jazz bass deluxe (discontinued now I believe) which I bought as an entry level 5 string with a view of upgrading in the future.  It has been an absolute joy to play and I've never felt the need to upgrade it.  You really can't go wrong with the Squier basses in terms of value for money.

Colour is important - odd as it sounds, if you like the look of your bass, you're more likely to pick it up.  My first bass was a horrible sun-burst effort and I couldn't wait to get rid of it!  Shallow I know. 

Enjoy the search - that's part of the fun!

That is amazing to hear!
Completely agree on the colour thing, i myself never have been a fan of sunburst, its quite a marmite colour lol either love it or hate it, hence why i'm set on a black bass hehe :D 

5 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

haha i'm trying to be patient but if this lockdown is looking towards summer time don't think my music head could wait that long 😂

One of us, one of us! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gjones said:

When you get the bass you want, I recommend learning to set the action up on it. For decades I struggled with badly set up basses, until I found basschat and realised how easy it is to set them up properly to make them easier to play.

Oh.....and buy secondhand if you can. As when you upgrade you won't lose money when you sell it on (basses and guitars are one of the very few things that don't depreciate if you buy them secondhand).

I was gonna get an Orange 25w amp... this one: https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-combos/orange-crush-bass-25-combo and then this cable for it: https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-original-series-instrument-cable-10-fiesta-red-0990510010 would you or anyone here agree that thats a good set up lol? i would buy a second hand bass like you said but i always feel more joy buying my own one knowing its fully mine lol, as sad as that may sound 😂

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

Sounds like you’ve already made a solid choice on the type of instrument you want and, for what it’s worth, I agree with the other folks in choosing the CV. I’ve played both CV P and J basses in the past and they seem really well built and punch well above their price point, plus they make great platforms for upgrading later.

That is so wonderful to hear! thank you! :D 

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

It is worth trying any bass you are thinking of buying before you buy as it is not only the style or type but other factors such as weight, body size and scale length.

I must say looking at some of the bass player pictures posted in this thread one ore more would be better off with a short or medium scale which would make their playing far more comfortable.

Re the bass you are looking at I think all the points have been mentioned already.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

And this is where lockdown is making things hard lol! Ah yes of course, the squier jazz is in the medium scale at 34' my girl mates all started with that scale and have been very happy :D 

1 hour ago, NickD said:

I think that every bass mentioned so far in this thread is of similar quality, it's just a matter of how you want to sound and how you want it to look.

Another thing to consider is weight and ergonomics, depending on your build and strength. A set with a bass that's too heavy is a pain in the ar5e for anyone. The Ibanez, with their smaller, more sculpted body and slim neck tend to be much lighter and sound every bit as good as the alternatives in this price bracket. My partner bought the Fender Jazz she'd always fancied, but with it's large slabby body, heavier neck and big headstock, it didn't take her long to realise that she was much happier with the SR300 that she had all along.

Given that a large percentage of how you sound comes from your fingers, you will always sound better on an instrument that you find comfortable to play, regardless of body woods, pickups, electronics, etc.

Ahh that is good to hear! I definitely will go over my choices before making a final decision, i play the saxophone and thats heavy lol so im use to weight, i don't tend to be playing in a band anytime soon, this is simply for home, learning something new and hopefully recording a few covers when i'm more confident in playing :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxyFuze said:

Further to some good advice thus far, I'd suggest tapping up a local BC'er to try out their kit; we won't need an excuse to have a cup of tea and nerdy chat about instruments!  Although you could be waiting a while for the lockdown to end....

Totally would but like you said waiting for lockdown, unsure of when that will end, and my lil impatient music head will be like AHHHHH! lol 😂