Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

RE cables - don't bother with brand names, just buy off a private cable builder who uses good components. Search on eBay for "klotz neutrik guitar cable" and you should get an industry standard grade cable that will last you years of gigging for less than you would pay for a flimsy branded one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

RE cables - don't bother with brand names, just buy off a private cable builder who uses good components. Search on eBay for "klotz neutrik guitar cable" and you should get an industry standard grade cable that will last you years of gigging for less than you would pay for a flimsy branded one.

^^^ This, or put 'designacable' into Amazon and you can essentially design your own cables, jack types, colour, length. I swear by them.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Morning everyone! Hope all well, The Sire is mineeeeee! 😁 £375 Sadly they didn’t have a cable I wanted in stock so not a problem and they offered the most flimsy looking strap so I declined that, I did offer £350 but sadly the lowest they could do was £375 but im happy as other website has it retailed at £459 or more, so can’t knock it really! 

Il treat myself to a nice strap and order the cable from another website, got the Orange Crush Bass Amp 25w for £148 on PMT, very excited, thank you all for your help i’m honestly so so grateful! Cannot wait to show off some pictures, hopefully be doing an unboxing for youtube too! 😁

exciting times!!! :)

I hope you get it in your hands soon, have fun!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

what he says.

Many good options out there, at similar or better prices than what you can get in a store 'branded'. Better quality too, which is why I get them.

Places I've got great cables from:

1) our own basschat resident @obbm, of course.

2) designacable - search for it on eBay or amazon

3) cleartone - they have their own website

All those use good quality components and they build cables that last a long long long time.

I would try OBMM first.

• Like 2

Great news - just remember with the Sire being both an active and passive bass you'll need to switch the active switch off when not in use, or it will continue to drain the batteries.

Passive is switch pulled towards you.

Active is switch pushed away from you towards bridge pickup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickD said:

I was going to suggest that, but looking on the Rockwire site it appears he's ceased trading. 😥

Oh 😥

I hope it's just because he prefers to do something else now, and that he is ok. I only dealt with him a couple of times, but he was a great guy and very accommodating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

Great news - just remember with the Sire being both an active and passive bass you'll need to switch the active switch off when not in use, or it will continue to drain the batteries.

Or just unplug it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Oh 😥

I hope it's just because he prefers to do something else now, and that he is ok. I only dealt with him a couple of times, but he was a great guy and very accommodating.

I remember discussing his retirement from the cable game at the last SE Bass Bash but unfortunately I cannot recall the content of the conversation.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, la bam said:

actually, the switch is just a bypass but the preamp stays engaged as long as there is a cable plugged in (regardless whether the switch is set to active or passive)... so @pepsi-abi, remember to unplug the cable when not in use!

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I remember discussing his retirement form the cable game at the last SE Bass Bash but unfortunately I cannot recall the content of the conversation.

Yes, he messaged me late last year about the music scene down here as he was planning on retiring to Cornwall. So I guess he's just enjoying retirement. 

6 minutes ago, mcnach said:

actually, the switch is just a bypass but the preamp stays engaged as long as there is a cable plugged in (regardless whether the switch is set to active or passive)... so @pepsi-abi, remember to unplug the cable when not in use!

This ^^. But get 9v rechargeables anyway - it will save you cash in the long run :)

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Oh 😥

Rest assured I'm fine.  I have closed the Rock-wire business and retired however I still have components and can make the occasional cable should any BCer want something.  The current problem is that, like many, I am in isolation and therefore cannot, and do not want, to go to the Post Office so despatch would have to wait until the current situation is resolved and Coronavirus is consigned to the history books.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Morning everyone! Hope all well, The Sire is mineeeeee! 😁 £375 Sadly they didn’t have a cable I wanted in stock so not a problem and they offered the most flimsy looking strap so I declined that, I did offer £350 but sadly the lowest they could do was £375 but im happy as other website has it retailed at £459 or more, so can’t knock it really! 

Il treat myself to a nice strap and order the cable from another website, got the Orange Crush Bass Amp 25w for £148 on PMT, very excited, thank you all for your help i’m honestly so so grateful! Cannot wait to show off some pictures, hopefully be doing an unboxing for youtube too! 😁

Wah hey! Exciting times! We're naturally always after the best deal we can get and getting those free add ons always feels good, but retailers have to make a crust too or they won't be around to feed our passion. Ultimately it was a pretty good deal anyway and then you bought the amp too - fun times at pepsi-abi acres!

BTW I use T Cut (or a similar automotive scratch remover) for my glossy guitar mishaps, just in case you already have this hanging around the house or someone you know does (saves buying something new).

19 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Yeh, when i first got l an active bass I'd just unplug it, but guaranteed for home practice you'll end up getting distracted soon enough and leave it plugged in by accident. 

That was a weird bass, a g&l m2000 (I think) that was only active. No option to work in passive mode and when your batteries died that was it. I left the cable plugged in and the first I knew about it was when the sound started to fade very quickly, until it died within about 10 minutes. (luckily only at practice).

At least with the sire if you do accidentally drain the batteries, you just flick to passive mode and you're back on track.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

ooh thank you shall check that out!

54 minutes ago, mcnach said:

what he says.

Many good options out there, at similar or better prices than what you can get in a store 'branded'. Better quality too, which is why I get them.

Places I've got great cables from:

1) our own basschat resident @obbm, of course.

2) designacable - search for it on eBay or amazon

3) cleartone - they have their own website

All those use good quality components and they build cables that last a long long long time.

I would try OBMM first.

Definitely will look into all of these, sad to hear obmm has retired but not a problem :D