Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

5 hours ago, rasher80 said:

👏👏

Well done @pepsi-abi 

You've really put the hours in and it shows - I was still plunking away on the bottom string after 3 months.

Keep at it, if you can pick that up after a few months you'll be hot on Julia's heels before long. Take a bow!!

Aww thank you ☺️

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Very good. 

Better than I could manage after less than three months.

Who am I kidding. Probably better than I could manage now.

You seem to be one of those annoyingly talented people.

The bass sounds lovely.

Haha aww thank you that means a lot 😃

5 hours ago, ubit said:

That's spot on Abi, I tell ya when I first started I couldn't tackle a piece like that. I was thumping away on an A and my mate the guitarist used to say I didn't need the D and G strings. Bloody cheek!

Aww thank you so so much! Ha what a bloody cheek indeed 😅☺️

5 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

aww wow thank you everyone i’m really taken back by your comments it means a lot to me! ☺️☺️☺️

Top notch, well done. You’re ahead of me already 

Good thumb anchoring technique btw, And you should be less self-deprecating at the beginning. There’s nothing to excuse 

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 15:54, Geek99 said:

Top notch, well done. You’re ahead of me already 

Good thumb anchoring technique btw, And you should be less self-deprecating at the beginning. There’s nothing to excuse 

Ahh bless you thank you! :D 

14 hours ago, NickD said:

Really nicely played, you should be proud.😎

But, and maybe its just my ears, the higher parts at the beginning sound way out of tune. might be worth checking your intonation.

Aww thank you and yes! You are right i thought that too! I'm annoyed at myself as i didn't pick up on it until the video was published and after spending a whole day making it i was super lazy and thought i cannot be arsed to do it again hahaha! I'm unsure why that happened as prior recording i used my tuner that has never failed me before and it said it was in tune, gutted with myself but im sure il record it again one day lol! :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pepsi-abi said:

I'm unsure why that happened as prior recording i used my tuner that has never failed me before and it said it was in tune,

If you already know about intonation on a guitar or bass then cool but being new to bass you may well not know.

If you play an open string then that same note should be heard when fretting the 12th fret, check both open string and fretted at the 12th fret with your tuner, if slightly flat or sharp then you need to adjust the saddle back or forwards a little. This is done by using the long screw (probably with a spring on) directly behind the saddle running in line with the string. If the 12th note is flat then wind the saddle forwards, if to sharp then wind it back. Retune the open string and check tuning at the 12th again.

If the intonation is out then, even if the open string is in tune, the notes on that string will progressively get flatter or sharper the further up the neck you go, hence your higher fingerings sounding slightly off. 

🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maude said:

If you already know about intonation on a guitar or bass then cool but being new to bass you may well not know.

If you play an open string then that same note should be heard when fretting the 12th fret, check both open string and fretted at the 12th fret with your tuner, if slightly flat or sharp then you need to adjust the saddle back or forwards a little. This is done by using the long screw (probably with a spring on) directly behind the saddle running in line with the string. If the 12th note is flat then wind the saddle forwards, if to sharp then wind it back. Retune the open string and check tuning at the 12th again.

If the intonation is out then, even if the open string is in tune, the notes on that string will progressively get flatter or sharper the further up the neck you go, hence your higher fingerings sounding slightly off. 

🙂

Thank you so so much! I will definitely use this advice for my next cover, that helps out loads! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Aww thank you and yes! You are right i thought that too! I'm annoyed at myself as i didn't pick up on it until the video was published and after spending a whole day making it i was super lazy and thought i cannot be arsed to do it again hahaha! I'm unsure why that happened as prior recording i used my tuner that has never failed me before and it said it was in tune, gutted with myself but im sure il record it again one day lol! :D 

What Maude said is bang on.

Your tuner is fine, if you listen the the lower patterns you play on the same strings it's fine. Intonation is just one of those little maintenance tasks you often have to do on a new bass, as well as after making neck adjustments or changing strings. Once you've got it, it's just a minute to check and 5 mins to adjust... I'm sure it's all over YouTube too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NickD said:

What Maude said is bang on.

Your tuner is fine, if you listen the the lower patterns you play on the same strings it's fine. Intonation is just one of those little maintenance tasks you often have to do on a new bass, as well as after making neck adjustments or changing strings. Once you've got it, it's just a minute to check and 5 mins to adjust... I'm sure it's all over YouTube too.

Thank you!! ☺️☺️

I can't remember where've we've got to but I'm quite old and haven't long enough left to read 22 pages of thread. So can I ask if you've done or checked the other things, like relief (truss rod) and string and pick up heights.  Being a Sire these were likely OK 'out the box' but knowing about checking and adjusting these things can be handy and we're all happy to give you probably conflicting advice and then argue amongst ourselves.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Your tuner is fine, if you listen the the lower patterns you play on the same strings it's fine. Intonation is just one of those little maintenance tasks you often have to do on a new bass

I must have been lucky. I have never had to adjust intonation. Even the basses and the guitar  that I have built have all had perfect intonation.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I must have been lucky. I have never had to adjust intonation. Even the basses and the guitar  that I have built have all had perfect intonation.

well, if you built them, then technically you adjusted it ;)

3 hours ago, ubit said:

Just fitted the bridge and then strings. Never had to adjust intonation.

I was only joking. What I meant is that since you built them, you had to fit the bridge/saddles and in doing so the intonation was set right for your strings/action... that's all :)