Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

PMT Online are selling a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 interface for £79 (well, it's available to order)

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/native-instruments-komplete-audio-1#product-details

Comes with a copy of Guitar Rig Pro which is handy.

Be careful buying anything used which doesn't come with DAW software, which you'll probably need. If your mac has Garage Band, that might work as a DAW

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

No mention of the audio interface on the B3N or on their latest iteration: the more compact and really good value B14. Must admit that was a point that had escaped me in terms of older B3 --> current B3N / B14, probably 'cos like a number of BC'ers, I've got a Focusrite Scarlett for interface duties. I'm not particularly sure why Zoom did this, other than maybe to create a niche for this very neat "mini Zoom B3N" (strictly its a mini G3N) which is their current multifx audio interface:

https://zoom-na.com/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/gce-3-guitar-lab-circuit-emulator

Cheapest I've seen this on the net is £75 at Andertons.

One of the advantages of the Focusrite kit, depending on the model you choose, over e.g. a Zoom or Helix is having separate inputs rather than needing to route everything through your multifx so that you can clean blend some / all of drums, vocals, instrument and bass in real time together and put down a couple of tracks at a time, although I suspect for a lot of recordings that won't be an issue in that you'll lay down the drums and then layer each of the other instruments and vocals separately.

The other issue with Zoom kit is that there is an element of underlying small but noticeable "digital artefact" noise on the B3N and B14, which is more present with some of the fx patches than others. This is fine for live use, but you wouldn't want it on a recording. I wonder if they have managed to eliminate this with 

Zoom must have their reasons for leaving an audio interface off the B3N but i have the old B3 and it is a really handy feature. If it helps here is a track I recorded through my B3. Its not fully mixed yet but should give an idea of bass tone. 

I used a G&L JB tribute tuned DGCF both pickups and tone fully open, into a Bugera Veyron Tube with the Zoom in the FX loop to get the Bugeras pre amp tone with no fx or models from the Zoom.

I'm sure a focusrite is a better audio interface but to record some bass tracks the Zoom is great.

Boys of Summer new bass new drums.mp3

Edited by sbrag

I'd say to keep your eye out for one 2nd hand if you can the amount you get for £70 to £100ish is quite amazing. Loads of FX, amp models, tuner, xlr out, headphone out  and audio interface. The only negstive I can see is that the FX don't sound quite as good as an analogue pedal to my ears e.g. comparing my Big Muff to the sim on the Zoom but for sheer volume of tools, cost and portability they are amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing thread. I started reading it two hours ago and followed a lot of links/googled stuff that was mentioned. 

I had my heart set on a p bass (squier kind of price level) when I eventually have to return my borrowed one but the Sire brigade have got me questioning it.

Ive also bought a cheap mini midi keyboard and Ableton even though I don’t know the first thing about any of that. Very interested in the audio interface chat too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Manny said:

I had my heart set on a p bass (squier kind of price level) when I eventually have to return my borrowed one but the Sire brigade have got me questioning it.

The Sires are indeed good guitars but don't let that put you off Squires. They are also great basses for the money!

Edited by ubit
  • Like 2

It's hard to go wrong these days if you have £200+ to spend, even at the extreme budget end you can still choose from a selection of Harley Bentons for £80-£110. A pal of mine has just decided to get back into bass and has gone with the Sire V7 and a Zoom B1Four. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

...A pal of mine has just decided to get back into bass and has gone with the Sire V7 and a Zoom B1Four. 

Your pal has been exceptionally well advised then! Can't fault the choice of either in terms of bang for your buck.

1 hour ago, CamdenRob said:

Having purchased your first bass a month ago, it must now be time to start thinking about your second bass? amps? picks? cables? One of those weird fret wrap things? 

You can’t just buy a bass and be happy with it... that’s not how this works.

Especially if you bought a Sire.  You only have one or at most two months ownership left.

• Haha 1

hey everyone, its nice to see this forum still going and helping others pick their first bass! I’m really enjoying teaching myself my fingers are starting to get use to jumping over the fretboard, my audio interface arrives in a few days and hopefully i can start getting covers up on youtube so i can share with you all, hope everyone is keeping safe and well! 😊

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Wahoooo! I finally done a bass cover! I know it is not the best but I had lots of fun, I tried doing a few little things that juliaplaysgroove does at the start, of course i'm no where near as good as her lol. Hope you all enjoy it! 

Best to listen with headphones

Hope everyone is keeping well and staying safe :D

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Wahoooo! I finally done a bass cover! I know it is not the best but I had lots of fun, I tried doing a few little things that juliaplaysgroove does at the start, of course i'm no where near as good as her lol. Hope you all enjoy it! 

Very good. 

Better than I could manage after less than three months.

Who am I kidding. Probably better than I could manage now.

You seem to be one of those annoyingly talented people.

The bass sounds lovely.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

That's spot on Abi, I tell ya when I first started I couldn't tackle a piece like that. I was thumping away on an A and my mate the guitarist used to say I didn't need the D and G strings. Bloody cheek!

• Like 1