Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

9 hours ago, Kiwi said:

That's a great first bass.  Goodness me how times have changed since I started out. I would have killed for this level of quality back then. 

More than just a great first bass. It's simply a great bass!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

If you think the cable sound great, try playing the bass, that will sound amazing! Very difficult to get the tension needed on a cable. :biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah and it's very likely to be flatwound. Frank defo recommended starting on rounds.

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2020 at 02:19, Kiwi said:

That's a great first bass.  Goodness me how times have changed since I started out. I would have killed for this level of quality back then. 

Indeed yes. If my memory serves me correctly did you not own a Westone Spectrum II at some point. I owned one, it was my first bass, it was complete garbage. 

• Like 3

I think my first bass was an Aria of some description. I recall it was the princely sum of £193 back in the early 80’s and can confirm it was indeed total crap - passive, p bass style pickup and a very nondescript tone - not that I had a clue as I couldn’t play I note when I bought it! My second bass was a Status at 5 times the price and a fantastic piece of kit :)

It’s amazing to have basses of this quality at what is effectively the same price.

• Like 1

so not able to play anything as of yet having fun just feeling what the bass is like and making sounds, i must admit i am struggling with switching to and throw between frets, probably because its a 34 scale bass, but that isnt going to stop me learning on it, my friends all have 34 scale and play it very easily, any tips or videos i should look into when starting out? all advice is really appreciative :D 

39 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

so not able to play anything as of yet having fun just feeling what the bass is like and making sounds, i must admit i am struggling with switching to and throw between frets, probably because its a 34 scale bass, but that isnt going to stop me learning on it, my friends all have 34 scale and play it very easily, any tips or videos i should look into when starting out? all advice is really appreciative :D 

...right, as soon as Miley Vyrus has sung her last I’m going to bring my short scales over!

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

So not able to play anything as of yet having fun just feeling what the bass is like and making sounds, I must admit I am struggling with switching to and fro between frets, probably because it's a 34 scale bass, but that isn't going to stop me learning on it, my friends all have 34 scale and play it very easily, any tips or videos i should look into when starting out? all advice is really appreciative :D 

Here you go - Mark from Talking Bass is my absolute favourite online bass tutor. So much so, I've actually paid (shock horror!) for a couple of his courses. Here's some of his free material aimed at beginners:

https://www.talkingbass.net/beginner-lessons/

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Well when I’ve helped out mates when they’ve started out I’ve tried to get them to concentrate on fretting on one string at a time - say go from the 3rd fret to the 5th, and repeat 4 times, then go 5th to 7th, just to get used to fretting properly. Then repeat this on each string in turn, so then getting used to the feel of each string. Once comfortable with that go from 3rd fret on one string to the 5th fret on the other. Small steps but once comfortable with fretting when you start on songs they’ll sound so much better to your ears without any mis-fretting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

Indeed yes. If my memory serves me correctly did you not own a Westone Spectrum II at some point. I owned one, it was my first bass, it was complete garbage. 

Second bass but yes,  not a great experience.  It was the only thing I could afford with two pickups!