Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I would always use an angled jack into the bass, be the socket on the front or side, straight jacks can make a mess of your bass if you forget and put the bass down on to the jack, far less protrusion with the angled jack makes for less damage if you do plonk the bass down on the jack. Most of my decent cables are of this configuration ...

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 15.24.15.png

...I also use the silent angled jack because I tend to forget to turn my amp down before I unplug and it saves the inevitable boom!

So if the polish you recommended was the best £10 we will ever spend (other than on a box of mini Magnum choc ices, of course!) is this going to be the best £16.68 we ever spend? Thanks for that tip off Frank - will need to get straight silent jacks for my Ibbys due to the recessed jack sockets, but angled ones should work for the rest, for those times we're not going wireless off course!

Can't wait to find out what the best £25 spend is gonna be 😁

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So if the polish you recommended was the best £10 we will ever spend (other than on a box of mini Magnum choc ices, of course!) is this going to be the best £16.68 we ever spend? Thanks for that tip off Frank - will need to get straight silent jacks for my Ibbys due to the recessed jack sockets, but angled ones should work for the rest, for those times we're not going wireless off course!

Can't wait to find out what the best £25 spend is gonna be 😁

Now, I've had some very interesting things priced around £17.00 but I would say that these jacks are by far the best I've had at any price point. I think they are superb.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

PS if you check the ad, you've a choice of whole bunch of lead colours.

Another boon, I always leave mine in venues/rehearsal rooms or people nick them so now I get bright coloured leads and my theft/leave rate has gone right down.

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you don't fancy spending £25 on a lead then these standard Fender leads, whilst not as good as the ones Frank is recommending, cost just £10 and have been just fine.

Aye, I have a Fender lead and it's fine, but the above is straight-straight...

(I see you've gone 4.5m, for the larger music room :))

Here > straight/angled 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Congratulations on the new and first bass! Very exciting. Enjoy. 

Congrats too for having (probably) the most on topic responded to first bass thread in the history of bass music. Now that really is astonishing!  

Haha! Why thank you lol! :D 

So, hypothetically speaking, if the OP had gone for a white Sire PJ with a tort PG would she have done well to consider a pearl PG instead, which is also available from Sire, as it doesn't mask the pup and black knobs so much?

Purely hypothetically speaking of course 😁

image.png.ecb005f7afa5497d3aacb63dc51e43a7.png

image.png.518245da191d766e860a72dc6de6efbe.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Another boon, I always leave mine in venues/rehearsal rooms or people nick them so now I get bright coloured leads and my theft/leave rate has gone right down.

I had to put coloured tape round the ends of my leads as the guitarist was always mistaking my leads for his. He never noticed that his lead collection was growing and the faulty ones started working again.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ubit said:

I had to put coloured tape round the ends of my leads as the guitarist was always mistaking my leads for his. He never noticed that his lead collection was growing and the faulty ones started working again.

I was having the same issue but I never found where my cables were going. It stopped when I bought pink cables.

Ok, I lie, no, I bought red and orange cables. I do have a pink one 'though, it came with something I bought one day, I use it at home all the time with my pink tartan strap 😛

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I was having the same issue but I never found where my cables were going. It stopped when I bought pink cables.

Ok, I lie, no, I bought red and orange cables. I do have a pink one 'though, it came with something I bought one day, I use it at home all the time with my pink tartan strap 😛

Pink seems to do the trick!