Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

50 minutes ago, la bam said:

Great news - just remember with the Sire being both an active and passive bass you'll need to switch the active switch off when not in use, or it will continue to drain the batteries.

Passive is switch pulled towards you.

Active is switch pushed away from you towards bridge pickup.

Excellent thanks for letting me know :D 

48 minutes ago, mcnach said:

actually, the switch is just a bypass but the preamp stays engaged as long as there is a cable plugged in (regardless whether the switch is set to active or passive)... so @pepsi-abi, remember to unplug the cable when not in use!

Brilliant, thank you! :D

41 minutes ago, obbm said:

Rest assured I'm fine.  I have closed the Rock-wire business and retired however I still have components and can make the occasional cable should any BCer want something.  The current problem is that, like many, I am in isolation and therefore cannot, and do not want, to go to the Post Office so despatch would have to wait until the current situation is resolved and Coronavirus is consigned to the history books.

Good to hear you are well and enjoying retirement, please stay safe :D 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Wah hey! Exciting times! We're naturally always after the best deal we can get and getting those free add ons always feels good, but retailers have to make a crust too or they won't be around to feed our passion. Ultimately it was a pretty good deal anyway and then you bought the amp too - fun times at pepsi-abi acres!

BTW I use T Cut (or a similar automotive scratch remover) for my glossy guitar mishaps, just in case you already have this hanging around the house or someone you know does (saves buying something new).

Very exciting times :D Ooo shall look out for T cut! 

Must admit I'm lazy when it comes to cables. With everything else that you spend your time getting your head around on the gear front, I just enjoy not having to give too much thought and also being able to support my local music stores (lockdowns permitting!) and picking up a cable if I need one from them.

Slight cable  snob I am afraid - no point in maxing whatever you’re budget is on a bass and skimping on a cheap cable, it would be like putting push bike tyres on car.

Lava, PJB, Canare are what I use - shop around on GAK, guitarguitar, Richtone etc. There are often deals to be had

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Slight cable  snob I am afraid - no point in maxing whatever you’re budget is on a bass and skimping on a cheap cable, it would be like putting push bike tyres on car.

Lava, PJB, Canare are what I use - shop around on GAK, guitarguitar, Richtone etc. There are often deals to be had

Thank you, i shall check them out!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Pretty much any instrument cable “will do” for now. Once you start gigging and rehearsing regularly and you’re heading for the main stage at Glastonbury then you need something heavy duty but for home practice, cheap and cheerful is fine so don’t overthink it.

But....

The others posters are right in that there is often not much difference price wise between a really good quality cable and a run of the mill one. If you can, look for Van Damme and Neutrik components and all of the brands mentioned here - but don’t stress too much over it at this stage.

Think as well about where you’ll be practising and where your amp will be. How long a cable do you need? If you’re sitting next to the amp then 3m will be fine - if you’re going to stand then maybe 5m would be better. 

Once you know how long you need it then just order something that will turn up before the bass does so that you’re ready to go when it arrives 😁

PS straight or angled doesn’t really matter too much. If the socket is on the front of the bass then angled looks neater - if it’s at the side then straight but,  unless the socket is recessed heavily into a long groove then either will do. 😁

2 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Pretty much any instrument cable “will do” for now. Once you start gigging and rehearsing regularly and you’re heading for the main stage at Glastonbury then you need something heavy duty but for home practice, cheap and cheerful is fine so don’t overthink it.

But....

The others posters are right in that there is often not much difference price wise between a really good quality cable and a run of the mill one. If you can, look for Van Damme and Neutrik components and all of the brands mentioned here - but don’t stress too much over it at this stage.

Think as well about where you’ll be practising and where your amp will be. How long a cable do you need? If you’re sitting next to the amp then 3m will be fine - if you’re going to stand then maybe 5m would be better. 

Once you know how long you need it then just order something that will turn up before the bass does so that you’re ready to go when it arrives 😁

True that :D haha glastonbury don't think il be that good :P 

It doesn't matter whether angled or straight, just another personal preference and sometimes one or the other is better suited to the situation. 

In your link to the cables, in picture three a right angled might be better to take the strain off the lead where it comes out of the plug, in picture five a right angled cable probably wouldn't fit so a straight would be better suited. 

It's all stuff you'll pick up along the way, so don't worry too much at the moment. 

1 minute ago, linear said:

They are probably fine, but I would also suggest designable on Amazon.  These are the best quality cable and connectors you can get, for just a little more money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Designacable-NP2XB-VDINBE0300-NP2XB-Custom-Length-Guitar/dp/B0052JY8J8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=designacable+3m&qid=1586176625&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JSC0PG/ref=psdc_407727031_t1_B0052JY8J8

Click around all the length and colour combinations, as the prices are a bit wacky, with longer cables often being cheaper.

Yeah just been checking those out after many of you suggesting :D 

Just now, Maude said:

It doesn't matter whether angled or straight, just another personal preference and sometimes one or the other is better suited to the situation. 

In your link to the cables, in picture three a right angled might be better to take the strain off the lead where it comes out of the plug, in picture five a right angled cable probably wouldn't fit so a straight would be better suited. 

It's all stuff you'll pick up along the way, so don't worry too much at the moment. 

Thank you :D 

I would always use an angled jack into the bass, be the socket on the front or side, straight jacks can make a mess of your bass if you forget and put the bass down on to the jack, far less protrusion with the angled jack makes for less damage if you do plonk the bass down on the jack. Most of my decent cables are of this configuration ...

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 15.24.15.png

...I also use the silent angled jack because I tend to forget to turn my amp down before I unplug and it saves the inevitable boom!

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Morning everyone! Hope all well, The Sire is mineeeeee! 😁 £375 Sadly they didn’t have a cable I wanted in stock so not a problem and they offered the most flimsy looking strap so I declined that, I did offer £350 but sadly the lowest they could do was £375 but im happy as other website has it retailed at £459 or more, so can’t knock it really! 

Il treat myself to a nice strap and order the cable from another website, got the Orange Crush Bass Amp 25w for £148 on PMT, very excited, thank you all for your help i’m honestly so so grateful! Cannot wait to show off some pictures, hopefully be doing an unboxing for youtube too! 😁

Yay!! 😃

3 hours ago, obbm said:

Rest assured I'm fine.  I have closed the Rock-wire business and retired however I still have components and can make the occasional cable should any BCer want something.  The current problem is that, like many, I am in isolation and therefore cannot, and do not want, to go to the Post Office so despatch would have to wait until the current situation is resolved and Coronavirus is consigned to the history books.

Glad to hear you're well :)

Stay healthy!

42 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I would always use an angled jack into the bass, be the socket on the front or side, straight jacks can make a mess of your bass if you forget and put the bass down on to the jack, far less protrusion with the angled jack makes for less damage if you do plonk the bass down on the jack. Most of my decent cables are of this configuration ...

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 15.24.15.png

...I also use the silent angled jack because I tend to forget to turn my amp down before I unplug and it saves the inevitable boom!

+1 on the angled jacks.