Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

Just now, bassfan said:

Why does it have to be black... really will show up the swirls..... or have I missed something? I’m sure there’s a nice natural one on here... 

I'm just really drawn to the colour black :D  and i feel if i buy a colour i don't like i won't enjoy playing it as much, as sad as it may sound i feel a few can agree with me on this lol 

• Like 1

Just now, pepsi-abi said:

I'm just really drawn to the colour black :D  and i feel if i buy a colour i don't like i won't enjoy playing it as much, as sad as it may sound i feel a few can agree with me on this lol 

You'd be surprised. Black or natural wood for me, I can't stand any other colours.

• Like 1

Nah, get the display one from Andertons and save yourself £75 or so (and they're doing a discount on the gig bags too, which are decent quality). You'll feel less precious about it and won't have that moment of heartache the first time you bang the headstock on the ceiling! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Nah, get the display one from Andertons and save yourself £75 or so (and they're doing a discount on the gig bags too, which are decent quality). You'll feel less precious about it and won't have that moment of heartache the first time you bang the headstock on the ceiling! 

Get it at £375 if they’ll chuck the bag in...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Haha that is very true, I probably still will get the andertons one from them, but i'm gonna offer £350 or a free fender cable lol once ive seen the images that is, the wont pull a blind eye over me, il be sure to share the images here once received! 

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

And definitely get the colour you want 😁

Absolutely I couldn’t agree more. Thought there was a reason though. If there’s no physical damage I’d offer £325.  Good luck learning. 👍🏻

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

^^^ This, with great big bells on.

• Like 1

Just now, bassfan said:

Absolutely I couldn’t agree more. Thought there was a reason though. If there’s no physical damage I’d offer £325.  Good luck learning. 👍🏻

Good point to offer £325 lol i feel cheeky though 😂

6 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Definitely get the one you’ll want to pick up and play. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Blimey at this rate Andertons are going to have to pay to have this bass taken off their hands!

PLUS a free gig bag and not to mention a lead. Did anyone say "strap" yet? 😁

• Haha 2

On 02/04/2020 at 23:44, pepsi-abi said:

Hello, 

I'm completely new to bass and this forum so hoping I could have some help, I want to get my first bass very soon, and i'm stuck between the squier contemporary jazz bass and the squier 70s jazz bass, my spending range is up to £350, any suggestions is highly appreciated and your thoughts on what bass I should get, I don't want anything that isn't going to last and that i'm going to be regretting my purchase too, I want to be certain.

Thank you! 
Hope you are all staying safe :) 

They're both decent instruments. I think the choice comes down to personal preference... ideally by trying them personally in shops until you find THE ONE.

REgardless of what you go for, I would budget a little extra money (i.e.: don't spend it all on the bass yet) to take it to someone who can set it up nicely for you, ensure all frets are levelled and the nut is cut correctly etc, to ensure it plays the best it can play. 

2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

They're both decent instruments. I think the choice comes down to personal preference... ideally by trying them personally in shops until you find THE ONE.

REgardless of what you go for, I would budget a little extra money (i.e.: don't spend it all on the bass yet) to take it to someone who can set it up nicely for you, ensure all frets are levelled and the nut is cut correctly etc, to ensure it plays the best it can play. 

Sadly i can't go into a shop to try any bass due to the pandemic lol