Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

5 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

I’m assuming all these very expensive ones you are suggesting is a joke 😂 one certainly does not have that kind of money 😂

Nor does one need that sort of money. 

Sure it's nice to have nice basses but the standard of the lower priced basses these days is phenomenal. I've been eyeing up an Ibanez Talman short scale to use as a piccolo bass, the reviews look/sound amazing and it's only £150. I gigged for a year with a bass that only cost me £40 when I had other much more expensive basses. That Sire could be the only bass you'll ever need, but you'll end up buying more 😉

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Buy a sadowsky...that’s where I’m at, taken 23 years of buying and selling to realise that either Yamaha or Sadowsky are the answer.

@Al Krow is about to be in the same boat...

The wisdom in that statement is to do with what sort of basses the Yamahas and Sadowskys you've got / recently had are.

And they are mostly (taken in the round) P-J configuration.

Just sayin'!

So, in my books, there's only going to be one bass that is going to trump the OP's Sire V7 in that price bracket and that's the Sire P7. Gratuitous pic...

Sire MM II.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The wisdom in that statement is to do with what sort of basses the the Yamahas and Sadowskys you've got / recently had are.

And they are mostly (taken in the round) P-J configuration.

Just sayin'!

So, in my books, there's only going to be one bass that is going to trump the OP's Sire V7 in that price bracket and that's the Sire P7. Gratuitous pic...

Sire MM II.jpg

Thumb rest not needed though 😂. Nice bass Mr Krow...👍🏻 Let me know when you want to move that one on. Not that I need a 5 but I may learn one day. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Thumb rest not needed though 😂. Nice bass Mr Krow...👍🏻 Let me know when you want to move that one on. Not that I need a 5 but I may learn one day. 

Blimey - there's clearly a decent market for second hand Sires then 

OP - buy with confidence! 😁

17 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

He got paid £5 for laying down the bass lines on 'Walk on the Wild Side'

He told us he got £24 . 12 quid was standard rate, but he doubled because he played the upright part too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

He told us he got £24 . 12 quid was standard rate, but he doubled because he played the upright part too.

I heard him interviewed and he said he got "£5 or something like that"

£24 sounds more likely for the early 70s

Sire V7 (or the V3 if you want to keep a few quid back). 

I've got a Sire V7, one of the first 1000 that got signed, it's great and won't be going anywhere, and that's despite the fact I gave up playing bass 18 months ago (I literally haven't touched a bass since leaving my last band). 

I've also got a Squier P bass, which I love to bits, but the Sire walks all over the Squier. The Sire walks all over a Mex Fender to be honest. They are good. 

All the best

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sire V7 (or the V3 if you want to keep a few quid back). 

I've got a Sire V7, one of the first 1000 that got signed, it's great and won't be going anywhere, and that's despite the fact I gave up playing bass 18 months ago (I literally haven't touched a bass since leaving my last band). 

I've also got a Squier P bass, which I love to bits, but the Sire walks all over the Squier. The Sire walks all over a Mex Fender to be honest. They are good. 

All the best

Thank you so much for that! :D Really nice to hear! 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 15:03, Frank Blank said:

...I've had a few Squiers and none were as good as the Sire IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I've also got a Squier P bass, which I love to bits, but the Sire walks all over the Squier.

Squiers and Sires. Two very well regarded basses. Just had a trawl through this thread and it seems that the two gents (apologies if I missed any others out) who have had both have arrived at the same conclusion.

Jump on that V7! 

Btw if you're planning to be playing in band down the line you might want to think about something more than 25W for your amp; but you can always upgrade down the line. Now that's a whole 'nother thread 😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Squiers and Sires. Two very well regarded basses. Just had a trawl through this thread and it seems that the two gents (apologies if I missed any others out) who have had both have arrived at the same conclusion.

Jump on that V7! 

Btw if you're planning to be playing in band down the line you might want to think about something more than 25W for your amp; but you can always upgrade down the line. Now that's a whole 'nother thread 😉

Very true, not planning to be in a band anytime soon, lot's of practice and having fun with it first, but certainly will upgrade from the 25w when the time is right :D 

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Bit naughty of Andertons not mentioning it's a cheaper Rockbass and not a German Warwick. OP if you wanted this type of bass you could score a genuine used Warwick for that sort of money.

@Ricky 4000 @Frank Blank 

The Sire i’m looking at is their display bass the only one they have left, i asked them to look at it and they said...

“I have just had a look at it and there are some minor marks (nothing your wouldn't expect after about a week of playing anyway) and a few finger prints, but nothing major. It plays greats and the strings sound really fresh”

They also said they would discount it for me from £399 to £375, is it worth it or should I wait till they get brand new ones in which sadly won’t be til August, unless I went for a red one but as many have said get the colour you love or you’ll hate playing it if its not a colour you like.

What do you guys think :)

Oooof, I don't know... ex-display, if you really want it and don't mind it being played...?

I assume the full warranty would be in place.

You could tell them that you're a young struggling musician, and offer £350 all in!?

(mentioning David Byrne would be optional)!

😃

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1

It’s been used, so it’ll have a few swirls on it, which is what’ll happen anyway (as they have said) especially as it’s black. It rather depends on whether you want one that is box fresh (and, therefore, possibly not set up right) which you’ll need to wait for, or take the discount and have it now. Only you know what’ll make you the most contented.

• Like 2

It depends what the small marks are. Just small swirls or very light scratches would polish out anyway, any dents is obviously a different matter. Strings are largely irrelevant as they'll be used after a couple of weeks of you playing it anyway and they are a consumable item. I'd be tempted to buy it and then if it has more than the type of marks that can be polished, contact them about returning it has it has what you consider more than light marks, they probably won't want it back and may offer a further discount, or a free instrument lead as that will cost them less. Even ask them to throw in a lead to sweeten the deal at the beginning. 

• Like 2