Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

13 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Do you feel the V7 is a good choice? :D 

Well I went for the P7 which gives me a P bass and a J bass all in one and is a "best of both worlds" option so the P7 would actually be my recommendation.

But the V7 is pretty much identical to the P7 otherwise, except having two J pups instead of a P and J pups. And there are plenty of folk on this thread who have or had the V7 and think highly of it. 

7 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Omg it is so diddy lol! 
I dunno how i would feel playing that lol! 😂:D

Don't knock it until you've tried it 😀 

I've been playing since the mid 80's and my basses have been getting progressively smaller in recent years, it probably helps that I'm not exactly a giant of a man either! But shorter scale basses are so much easier to get around on than full sized ones like a jazz or precision. The Mikro is 28" scale compared to the more usual 34" scale (15 cm shorter, meaning the first fret is 15 cm closer to your body than on a regular scale bass) and it makes 34" scale basses feel very cumbersome indeed. But even at 28" it's still bigger than a regular 6 string guitar, albeit only just! And no, this is not a hard sell!

Another one to consider is the Ibanez Talman TMB30, which has a 30" scale neck. I've got one and admittedly it's had a couple of hardware upgrades, (but still no more than an extra £50 spent on it) but it has seen off a couple of basses that each cost 10 times as much. Admittedly it looks a bit daft, some might say like Barbapapa (ask your grandparents 😀) but the neck is sublime and it has an array of usable tones for different styles. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ricky 4000 said:

I know you've mentioned Tina Weymouth before -- Great, and her bass lines tend to be fairly 'accessible' to us mere mortal players! 👍

Also, tell us more about meeting David Byrne!! 😃

She is amazing!
And yes of course! Oh gosh where do I start, I am a massive massive Talking Heads fan, I absolutely adore David Byrne, I love how his music is so different and so 'free' is a word I like to use to describe because whenever i'm listening and dancing to Talking Heads or David's solo stuff that is how I feel, and I feel he is very creative and shows that well within his songs. 
I go to record fairs and try and find Talking Head vinyls and 7' singles to add to my collection (which is growing quickly lol) and the minute he brought out his new album in 2018 'American Utopia' I was hooked even more and there were rumours he was going to tour and then it came true! 
Hammersmith Apollo tickets went on sale and I purchased them as quick as I could, on the day of the event I turned up at 1pm, even though the doors didnt open til 7pm, I stood with some security guards and told them my passion for his music and they could see how much it meant to me so they said we will do everything we can so you can meet him, so it got to 3pm and a long came a man on a bike with his white chinos on and it was him! Honestly I was so so starstruck I couldn't believe it, the security guards introduced themselves then kindly introduced me, he asked how I was and if I was coming to the show he hoped I will enjoy it, of course I replied, because I was so starstruck David said to me would you like a picture with a lovely smile on his face, I said yes please and as we were having the photo taken he kept cheering, I wrote him a letter and gave it to him, the letter contained how much his music meant to me and helped me through difficult times in life and that I wanted to thank him, the only thing I forgot to ask was for an autograph, but to this day I'm still amazed i've met him, they say don't meet your heroes because you can be let down by the experience, but hey my experience was great, and when i uploaded photos of his concert to my social media, his official account liked them which made me smile even that bit more. Best concert I have been to, so lively, he spotted me because I was right at the front smack bang in the middle. I wish I could do it all again! :D Here is the photo of me and him! I've also attached a photo of him liking my post of him performing :D IMG_0691.thumb.jpeg.4ca232c9e9485d841d4f7aeae8fb4630.jpeg

IMG_0490.thumb.JPG.0ea96531fb17501d2c910df67ef8ad36.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well I went for the P7 which gives me a P bass and a J bass all in one and is a "best of both worlds" option so the P7 would actually be my recommendation.

But the V7 is pretty much identical to the P7 otherwise, except having two J pups instead of a P and J pups. And there are plenty of folk on this thread who have or had the V7 and think highly of it. 

That is so good to hear, i think im very decided on the V7 now i love the sound of it so much compared to the squier, dont get me wrong the squier is beautiful but i just want the bass to feel alive, I agree with @Frank Blank that the squier produces a very quiet bass sound.

Hard to look past the Sire V7 as a first bass at £350 new, it has the simplicity of a standard Jazz in passive mode but so much more when you flick that switch. Some nice colours with the new version 2 line as well. Alternatively the Sire V3 can be bought new for £261 which is stupidly cheap.

• Like 2

Welcome to Basschat!

Six pages in and we’ve covered Precision vs Jazz, skirted around the flats vs rounds discussion and ended up at “ @Teebs is weird”. 

Nice work!

Of the basses you’ve mentioned I don’t think there’s a “wrong” answer - the Squier, Sire and even the ‘ray are all great instruments that will serve you well and hold a decent amount of their value when you come to sell. 

Its the same with the amps you mentioned -  we truly are spoilt these days in that there’s very little gear out there that is truly “bad” and loads of well made, affordable stuff to choose from. 

Under normal circumstances I’d say not to worry about the P vs J thing - whichever one you get now, you’ll buy the other in a year or so when the big has bitten hard! 

That said, it sounds like you’re a multi-instrumentalist so my guess is that bass won’t be your only instrument - in which case you may end up with just one bass and, whilst either will do you well, the Sire is likely to give you more tonal flexibility. 

But ultimately, it’ll probably come down to which is in stock 😁

Whichever you choose to get, enjoy it!

Please let us know what you get in the end.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

Hard to look past the Sire V7 as a first bass at £350 new, it has the simplicity of a standard Jazz in passive mode but so much more when you flick that switch. Some nice colours with the new version 2 line as well. Alternatively the Sire V3 can be bought new for £261 which is stupidly cheap.

Yay! :D V7 it is gonna be! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinnyman said:

Welcome to Basschat!

Six pages in and we’ve covered Precision vs Jazz, skirted around the flats vs rounds discussion and ended up at “ @Teebs is weird”. 

Nice work!

Of the basses you’ve mentioned I don’t think there’s a “wrong” answer - the Squier, Sire and even the ‘ray are all great instruments that will serve you well and hold a decent amount of their value when you come to sell. 

Its the same with the amps you mentioned -  we truly are spoilt these days in that there’s very little gear out there that is truly “bad” and loads of well made, affordable stuff to choose from. 

Under normal circumstances I’d say not to worry about the P vs J thing - whichever one you get now, you’ll buy the other in a year or so when the big has bitten hard! 

That said, it sounds like you’re a multi-instrumentalist so my guess is that bass won’t be your only instrument - in which case you may end up with just one bass and, whilst either will do you well, the Sire is likely to give you more tonal flexibility. 

But ultimately, it’ll probably come down to which is in stock 😁

Whichever you choose to get, enjoy it!

Please let us know what you get in the end.....

Thank you! And yay! 1 V7 left in stock on andertons, its gonna be mine mwhahaha! 
Thank you ALL! So much for all your help, it's been a really nice welcome for me joining BC, I certainly will post pictures once it has arrived and hopefully do an unboxing youtube video for you all hehe!
Yes I dable in quite a few instruments, music is such a passion for me

:D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Thank you ALL! So much for all your help, it's been a really nice welcome for me joining BC

Frankly, it's like a breath of fresh air to have you join up here with such enthusiasm and a great attitude.

It's a welcome break from the current smell of fear and the rustling of 'The Independent' newspaper on many of our threads.

Plus, you're basically mates with David Byrne! :swoon:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Frankly, it's like a breath of fresh air to have you join up here with such enthusiasm and a great attitude.

It's a welcome break from the current smell of fear and the rustling of 'The Independent' newspaper on many of our threads.

Plus, you're basically mates with David Byrne! :swoon:

Aww thank you! Haha oh i wish i was friends with David Byrne ;) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Hey Tibbs, I'm diggin' the orange throw on your chair. 👍

image.png.d238c6ef2cb892fc7c2e73e97ad8a1d9.png.9cb6d1bc56f7d41ca105704f4dd12f7c.png

13 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Very nice teebs ☝️

That picture is aqchewerly of me.

Fact :D 

Lovin' The Duck 🦆

:)

• Haha 2