Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

I know you seem to be leaning to the Squier, but for complete versatility and the need never to upgrade, its be a sire v7 rev 2 for me. I've played jazz basses and p basses and the yamaha bb434s (pj) and the sire rev2s are unbelievable. And truly unbelievable for the price! The finish is as good as my main fender, and sounds just as good if not better. Some are now on offer for £350 at Andertons.

They sit lovely in the mix and are great in passive mode as well as active. They're quite a narrow neck compared to the p basses and Ray's I've played, so a bit easier to learn on - and they come in lots of different colours.

With the preamp you can get pretty much any sound you like, saving the need to buy different basses for different projects.

I have seen the squire cvs and they look great too and have a really good reputation.

Whichever bass you choose, squire, sire, sub, you'll have a great bass!

4 minutes ago, la bam said:

I know you seem to be leaning to the Squier, but for complete versatility and the need never to upgrade, its be a sire v7 rev 2 for me. I've played jazz basses and p basses and the yamaha bb434s (pj) and the sire rev2s are unbelievable. And truly unbelievable for the price! The finish is as good as my main fender, and sounds just as good if not better. Some are now on offer for £350 at Andertons.

They sit lovely in the mix and are great in passive mode as well as active. They're quite a narrow neck compared to the p basses and Ray's I've played, so a bit easier to learn on - and they come in lots of different colours.

With the preamp you can get pretty much any sound you like, saving the need to buy different basses for different projects.

I have seen the squire cvs and they look great too and have a really good reputation.

Whichever bass you choose, squire, sire, sub, you'll have a great bass!

Oooh! Now that is making my head turn towards the sire! Is this the one you mean: https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-v7-vintage-alder-4-string-black-ver2v7va4bk?gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VbxU88j_DwJtVu5X-MUMuqaLRRAgdUmLB7x2y_HwXTkiYoIBr09jiBoCO98QAvD_BwE 

• Like 1

That's right, there are 2 black ones on the site. One at £399 and one (with a different scratchplate) for £369.

I think the ones with the maple (light coloured) neck are the swamp ash bodies, and the one with the ebony necks are alder bodies. Both sound great though.

• Like 1

Oh guys now i'm stuck, what have you done to me 😂
These are the two basses i'm now eyeing up

The Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/squier/squier-classic-vibe-70s-jazz-bass-maple-fingerboard-black 
The Sire Version 2 Marcus Miller V7 Vintage Alder 4 String Bass: https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-v7-vintage-alder-4-string-black-ver2v7va4bk?gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VbxU88j_DwJtVu5X-MUMuqaLRRAgdUmLB7x2y_HwXTkiYoIBr09jiBoCO98QAvD_BwE 

Also can someone tell me if this amp and cable is worth getting for either of these basses

Orange Amp: https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-combos/orange-crush-bass-25-combo
Cable: https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-original-series-instrument-cable-10-surf-green 

Much appreciated! :D 

52 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Yeah I agree with you on that but sadly due to lockdown unable to go anywhere to try out a bass, and seeing as i love learning instruments and have the time to sit and learn i thought why the heck not lol, i've been saving for a bass for a while. 
I'm stuck between squier classic vibe 70s and the sterling by music man sub ray 4, but im leaning more towards the squier. :) 

Out of those 2 I would go squier or this is a cracking wee bass form a cracking seller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Hartke HD range is cheap and honest as well

New Peavey combos are also very good

Oooh brilliant thank you! 
Still stuck between the two basses, squier and sire, both sound lovely being played, ahh! 😂:D

You can only take window shopping so far IMHO.  Your shortlisted basses don't have much clear water between them, so I would now go and get hands on if you haven't alrerady done so.  Things like weight, sonic flexibility, wood, and sheer personallity only come through when you have them in your hands.  I have bought many basses without trying them first. Sometimes the ones I really fancied felt dead in my hands, other times the most unlikely candidate will become your ''go to' bass.   And even within one range you can get good uns and dead uns and you won't know which yours is unless you give it a try before buying. I grant if you're new to bass you won't be alert to the small differences, but even so you can get a fair idea of what loves you back and what doesn' t .   

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, pepsi-abi said:

Thank you for you comments! 

I am leaning towards the classic vibe 70s more than the contemporary one, because i hear the 70s one is made so well the durability on it is perfect and if i was to upgrade in the future then it is a great one to upgrade from, as long as i can be playing like this girl after much practice, then i'm happy lol  

By the way, that's a decent sounding bass for the cash. I hadn't heard one played properly before, by a good bass player.

3 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

You can only take window shopping so far IMHO.  Your shortlisted basses don't have much clear water between them, so I would now go and get hands on if you haven't alrerady done so.  Things like weight, sonic flexibility, wood, and sheer personallity only come through when you have them in your hands.  I have bought many basses without trying them first. Sometimes the ones I really fancied felt dead in my hands, other times the most unlikely candidate will become your ''go to' bass.   And even within one range you can get good uns and dead uns and you won't know which yours is unless you give it a try before buying. I grant if you're new to bass you won't be alert to the small differences, but even so you can get a fair idea of what loves you back and what doesn' t .   

Very very true! I'm so impatient when it comes to music because it is my passion, but I agree with you on needing to get a feel for them! Just sadly can't do that right now due to the situation we are all in :( 

If you have your heart set on the black CV Jazz, then, in my opinion, that is the one you should get.  The basses you have shortlisted are all fine choices, so go with the one that calls to you.

The comments about playing one first are 100% correct, under normal circumstances, but as things are at the moment I wouldn't feel bad about ordering one online.  People on here are forever buying basses from other board members without playing them first btw, so there's a fair element of 'do as I say, not as I do' in the try it first advice :) If there are any issues with it you can always send it back.

• Like 1

As everyone has said, you won't go far wrong with either the Squier or the Sire.

The big difference between the 2 is one is active (sire) and one is passive (squier).

If you don't know the difference (apologies if you do) - 'Active' Basses have an onboard preamp which have bass/middle/treble controls like you'd find on an amplifier and are used for quick access tone changes (saves you going to the amp).  They require a battery/batteries for the preamp to work.  I think the Sire does have a switch to turn the preamp off though, so it can work like a passive bass.

For a first Bass, I'd be more inclined to keep it simple & go with the passive Squier.  That Bass just has a volume control for each pickup and an overall tone control.  Less controls to fiddle with an just get on with playing!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Very very true! I'm so impatient when it comes to music because it is my passion, but I agree with you on needing to get a feel for them! Just sadly can't do that right now due to the situation we are all in :( 

Oops, true! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, linear said:

If you have your heart set on the black CV Jazz, then, in my opinion, that is the one you should get.  The basses you have shortlisted are all fine choices, so go with the one that calls to you.

The comments about playing one first are 100% correct, under normal circumstances, but as things are at the moment I wouldn't feel bad about ordering one online.  People on here are forever buying basses from other board members without playing them first btw, so there's a fair element of 'do as I say, not as I do' in the try it first advice :) If there are any issues with it you can always send it back.

Woo! And yeah that is very true I can send it back if i don't feel comfy with it, but was considering doing it on andertons 0%APR so i can do it in monthly instalment, if thats a good idea lol

6 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

As everyone has said, you won't go far wrong with either the Squier or the Sire.

The big difference between the 2 is one is active (sire) and one is passive (squier).

If you don't know the difference (apologies if you do) - 'Active' Basses have an onboard preamp which have bass/middle/treble controls like you'd find on an amplifier and are used for quick access tone changes (saves you going to the amp).  They require a battery/batteries for the preamp to work.  I think the Sire does have a switch to turn the preamp off though, so it can work like a passive bass.

For a first Bass, I'd be more inclined to keep it simple & go with the passive Squier.  That Bass just has a volume control for each pickup and an overall tone control.  Less controls to fiddle with an just get on with playing!

Hope this helps!

That is very true, and i did some what know but you have made it 10 times more clearer to me so thank you, and i agree less controls to fiddle with is probably best with me first starting out, thank you! 

• Like 1

That is THE question!!

Look at the Precision and the Jazz, you'll see the pickups are different in both, naturally meaning the sound from each will be different.

The J v P debate will rumble on until the end of time, the best advice I can give you is go on YouTube and listen to comparisons and see how you feel.

Maybe check out your favourite bass players and see what they play.

For me, when I think of a pleasing bass sound, it comes from a Precision. It is "the" bass guitar sound to my ears. I'm sure I read a quote saying it's the most recorded bass guitar in modern music history and there's a very good reason for that.

Edited by rasher80
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

That is THE question!!

The J v P debate will rumble on until the end of time, the best advice I can give you is go on YouTube and listen to comparisons and see how you feel.

^^^This^^^

There are pros to both....

The Jazz has more flexibility, in that you can choose between an awful nasal bridge pickup that sounds nothing like a bass, or a nondescript, bland neck pickup sound that sounds a bit like a bass (underwater). Additionally due to the single coils, by adjusting the balance between them you can create a wonderful annoying background hum.

The Precision is less flexible, but looks cooler, is cooler, and sounds like a bass should. 🤣

Edited by NickD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Difference between the squier classic 70s precision bass and the squier classic 70s jazz bass? Just want to know the differences but i prefer the jazz

Apart from sounding a bit different and the fact that Jazz basses are for awesome people and P-basses are for boring old men, there is one other thing that might make a difference to you: the fingerboard on a P-bass is traditionally a bit wider than a Jazz.  If you look at the description you will see the nut width on the CV P-bass is 42mm, and the nut width on the Jazz is 38mm.  This is a small difference, but noticeable when you hold the neck in your hand.  Which is better is just a personal preference.

It's not something I would get too hung up on if it's your first bass.

• Haha 2