Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my first bass!

pepsi-abi

Hello, 

I'm completely new to bass and this forum so hoping I could have some help, I want to get my first bass very soon, and i'm stuck between the squier contemporary jazz bass and the squier 70s jazz bass, my spending range is up to £350, any suggestions is highly appreciated and your thoughts on what bass I should get, I don't want anything that isn't going to last and that i'm going to be regretting my purchase too, I want to be certain.

Thank you! 
Hope you are all staying safe :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, looking at the current models here for example: Andertons

With the CV 70s you get the maple board with block markers -vs- the matching paint job on the Contemporary, but you don't get maple (if you like maple?).

Contemporary looks to also have the slightly nicer (chunkier) bridge.

I'm no expert, but I doubt you'll be going far wrong with either model... they're likely to be broadly similar, and generally regarded as good value for the price...

Unless you might prefer a shorter scale, in which case, Mustangs are REALLY fashionable at the moment!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/squier-classic-vibe-60s-mustang-bass-in-surf-green-lrl 😍

Edited by Ricky 4000

Thank you for you comments! 

I am leaning towards the classic vibe 70s more than the contemporary one, because i hear the 70s one is made so well the durability on it is perfect and if i was to upgrade in the future then it is a great one to upgrade from, as long as i can be playing like this girl after much practice, then i'm happy lol  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Thank you for you comments! 

I am leaning towards the classic vibe 70s more than the contemporary one, because i hear the 70s one is made so well the durability on it is perfect and if i was to upgrade in the future then it is a great one to upgrade from, as long as i can be playing like this girl after much practice, then i'm happy lol  

I'm sure the 70s Vibe is not a bad choice at all. 👍

Ahh, juliaplaysgroove! I used that video ^^^^^ to (sort of) learn 'Juice' myself!

Isn't she great! ... Lots of practice!! :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 1

Just now, pepsi-abi said:

She is amazing isnt she! 
Total inspiration!

Thank you for your help! Hopefully get some more people comment as well about the two basses so i can be firm on my decision hehe :D 

You're welcome!

Yup, I'm sure you'll get lots more replies tomorrow, and welcome again to BC. :crigon_04:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

It's also worth having a look at Vintage as another great value for money bass in your price range. There are also some good reviews for the Sire basses

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/vintage/vintage-basses

That's true, I have two of those Vintage Jazz basses.

WP_20190602_16_08_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.53e162340964cdeb36b7016f18ec754c.jpg

This one was a bargain 'almost new' from a local music shop for £160. I think it was... it's nice, but the fret ends are a bit sharp. 😬

WP_20190110_22_22_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.0e62fb7d36b5a4831abb18317eb0c2a8.jpg

This 'Icon' was not such a good buy. Bought it privately - didn't check it over too well - truss rod was goosed! 👎

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

It's also worth having a look at Vintage as another great value for money bass in your price range. There are also some good reviews for the Sire basses

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/vintage/vintage-basses

I have had a good look at the sires, very nice and look so fresh but cheeky me still leaning towards squier due to being part of fender, i have a fender acoustic guitar and its beautiful and about 25 years old or possibly older and was sold to me for £40 when really it was worth so much more and still perfect to this day ❤️ 
I'm still leaning towards the Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass teehee! 

• Like 1

I did look at the bass julia uses, but i spoke to someone who plays on fender jazz basses and she said the fender over a sub ray 4 bass any day... what do you guys think? 

Heres Julias bass: https://www.andertons.co.uk/sterling-by-music-man-sub-ray-4-in-black-with-maple-fretboard-subray4bk?lgw_code=16284-SUBRAY4BK&gclid=CjwKCAiAo7HwBRBKEiwAvC_Q8c-VVPfp1VGGPnOUNMaptBC3TItAzflCwqJAm2s2-Rx3iuqxMQXasRoCbBEQAvD_BwE 

21 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

She is amazing isnt she! 
Total inspiration!

Thank you for your help! Hopefully get some more people comment as well about the two basses so i can be firm on my decision hehe :D 

Hello and welcome! 

Ahh, juliaplaysgroove... When my friend sent me a vid of her playing Aeroplane by the Chili Peppers I couldn't believe it. I told that I want to play like her when I grow up (I'm only 48 so there's still time! 😄). 

Regarding your bass question - I did indeed play the new Classic Vibe 70s Jazz and found it to be amazing, and not just for the money. It did play and sound as good as it looked. The neck felt lovely and easy to play. Sounded so funky! One of those would be a great companion to have in any musical situation. Personally I would go for a black one, the sunburst was only let down visually by the miss matched grains of the wood showing through the burst. The black looked cooler to me anyways.. I can't comment on the contemporary Jazz sorry. 

One thing is certain though, a cool assed funky 70s Jazz will NEVER go out of fashion! 

Have fun on your musical journey, good luck! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

Black, i really love the black, so smart and slick and black is one of my favourite colours 😛 

Nice, but the Natural one looks like Kinga Glyk's Fender!

Edited by Ricky 4000
changed video for a better look at the bass!
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Hello and welcome! 

Ahh, juliaplaysgroove... When my friend sent me a vid of her playing Aeroplane by the Chili Peppers I couldn't believe it. I told that I want to play like her when I grow up (I'm only 48 so there's still time! 😄). 

Regarding your bass question - I did indeed play the new Classic Vibe 70s Jazz and found it to be amazing, and not just for the money. It did play and sound as good as it looked. The neck felt lovely and easy to play. Sounded so funky! One of those would be a great companion to have in any musical situation. Personally I would go for a black one, the sunburst was only let down visually by the miss matched grains of the wood showing through the burst. The black looked cooler to me anyways.. I can't comment on the contemporary Jazz sorry. 

One thing is certain though, a cool assed funky 70s Jazz will NEVER go out of fashion! 

Have fun on your musical journey, good luck! 

Ahh!! That is so wonderful to hear! Thats what i was thinking too about them, not going out of fashion, and apparently becoming a good vintage bass to own in the future.
I got my heart set on the black one! Never been a big fan of sunburst on instruments, i feel it can be very hit and miss. 
I stumbled across julia's cover of juice by lizzo and i was hooked! 
Tina weymouth from talking heads is one of my inspirations too, was lucky enough to see david byrne live in 2018 at hammersmith, was even more lucky too meet him! Very nice guy! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pepsi-abi said:

I did look at the bass julia uses, but i spoke to someone who plays on fender jazz basses and she said the fender over a sub ray 4 bass any day... what do you guys think? 

Heres Julias bass: https://www.andertons.co.uk/sterling-by-music-man-sub-ray-4-in-black-with-maple-fretboard-subray4bk?lgw_code=16284-SUBRAY4BK&gclid=CjwKCAiAo7HwBRBKEiwAvC_Q8c-VVPfp1VGGPnOUNMaptBC3TItAzflCwqJAm2s2-Rx3iuqxMQXasRoCbBEQAvD_BwE 

The Sterling Stingray is also great (obviously - Julia kills on one). I used to play a Stingray years ago which was fab but I ended up selling it to get a Jazz as I missed the sound of the Fender middle pickup tone (P or J) that I love on my favourite records. 

So if it's just about having one good bass then for me it's either a Precision or a Jazz. Lucky enough to have a second good bass? Definitely a Stingray. 

Hope that makes sense! 

2 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

The Sterling Stingray is also great (obviously - Julia kills on one). I used to play a Stingray years ago which was fab but I ended up selling it to get a Jazz as I missed the sound of the Fender middle pickup tone (P or J) that I love on my favourite records. 

So if it's just about having one good bass then for me it's either a Precision or a Jazz. Lucky enough to have a second good bass? Definitely a Stingray. 

Hope that makes sense! 

Haha that has made it even more settling for me, definitely 90% leaning to squier CV 70s jazz then, and if i'm lucky in the future to get a second bass i certainly will get the same as Julias :P :D 

• Like 2