Why become a member? ×

Help with Japanese Squier project , year?

hen barn

I got an old Squier Off a old punk a couple of years back that was pretty knackered and been painted Matt black. So during this awful time I have finally started doing it up. It’s a Japanese Squier precision bass with the serial number M039366

I have stripped the Matt black off (what a nightmare that was) and now tru oiling the body. 
my question is when was it built? Are they any good?  I have seen a couple of JVs on here for big money, is this worth anything? 
the plan is to make it look like a vintage p bass

what do you think??

94D60C5E-D837-40B7-88A1-4DEA888E93C4.jpeg

4840ADDC-870D-436A-B61D-BCCB84E6A150.jpeg

EA9EDB82-9AAB-49B3-9A29-5AB52781067B.jpeg

90’s silver series? Not a JV/SQ which were early 80’s.

nice though.

These seem to fetch £300-£500 in good nick.

I sold my modified SQ for £580 a few years ago. 

JV’s seem to fetch £800-£1100 depending on age and condition etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

I think 'Silver Series' were identified by having 'Silver Series' written on the headstock - the silver logo was common to others.  I've had a couple and they were nice.  One, a Precision, was outstanding - 'the one that got away'.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I think 'Silver Series' were identified by having 'Silver Series' written on the headstock - the silver logo was common to others.  I've had a couple and they were nice.  One, a Precision, was outstanding - 'the one that got away'.  

Here's a p[ic of my S/S Squier where you can see the logo.  Looking at the aboive it looks like it may have been sanded off on the OP's bass.

248022256_SquierSilverSeriesP03.jpg.eb0ac30d8fd9b296dc683d97b14053db.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

I believe so.  Can't quite see the s/n on your lovely bass, but mine was an M same as the OP's with a lower number so probably built around the same time if slightly earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck a Kiogon sourced loom in one of mine and that made a decent improvement.  I quite liked the pickups fitted so left alone.  Are those Di Marzio p/ups btw?

I may have a spare loom knocking about but I'll need to check.

Here are the pickuos from my SSS P bass, as you can see they look like any other P bass p/up.  The ones in your pic look to have the poles made so that you can insert a hex Allen key to raise and lower them to achieve a balanced output.

Pickups.jpg.5c555b74896775deac65533f4b8dfa99.jpg

I'll have a ferret around my spares tin in the morning Steve and see what I can find.

On 15/04/2020 at 17:26, hen barn said:

I don’t know what pick ups they are? 
Let me know if you have a wiring loom , I will buy it off you

cheers steve

Looks like a Dimarzio model P, a great replacement pickup. I've got them in two of my basses.