Why become a member? ×

Good place to get a genuine Fender neck?

fretmeister

I've got a lovely Fender American Special P bass, but I really prefer a jazz neck.

US parts used to be on the Fender website but now that is location locked and only shows up from a USA IP address. So where is a good place to get a real USA jazz bass neck in the UK?

ta.

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

USA ones are £549 on Andertons.

Mex are £250 to £299.

Wow...Mex will do surely? If not look for a shop called “Stratosphere” on eBay/reverb.com.

Theyve basically made a business of parting out Fenders:

A Warmoth maple neck / rosewood board with frets and nut installed can be had from $205 or even as low a $180 if you can do the nut yourself, comes with two steel rods which can be upgraded to carbon for an extra $60. Here's what they have in stock:
https://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Bass=1&Body=1&Shape=38&Path=JBass&sort=price

Dunno what shipping and fees would be but although it would work out a bit pricier than a MIM Fender I'd take a Warmoth over one of those every day. Could probably import an Allparts for around £250 or so.

Edited by lemmywinks

13 hours ago, itu said:

As price seems to be the first issue, I will not suggest a Status. But if the quality was...

I'm a big fan of Status and I've owned several, but I want to keep this looking like a Fender.

My concern as to prices was that the bass itself was only £600 used so spending nearly the same on just the neck is making me pause.

• Like 1

Maybe worth a wanted advert on here and other places, to see if there’s a chance someone out there has a jazz neck they want to swap for yours? Admit it’s a long shot as like yourself more people seem to prefer the jazz profile, but hey it’s worth a go? 🤔

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find freestone used to be known as hilimire necks I think they have a reverb or eBay shop, they are very very good and not just for the price, I have used a couple in builds - you have to file the fret ends yourself and maybe roll the neck, but they tell you this.

Decision made - I will be getting a Mexican neck for it, but I'll wait for the lock down to end so it can be fitted professionally and set up. I'm not risking doing it myself and causing more expense than just getting it done properly in the first place!

I'll be getting a maple board one for that Steve Harris look. I might put a sticker on the body as well... but obviously not a West Ham logo!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Decision made - I will be getting a Mexican neck for it, but I'll wait for the lock down to end so it can be fitted professionally and set up. I'm not risking doing it myself and causing more expense than just getting it done properly in the first place!

I'll be getting a maple board one for that Steve Harris look. I might put a sticker on the body as well... but obviously not a West Ham logo!

I reckon you can do it yourself, as long as it’s a tight pocket fit and no pocket work required it really is simple pie.

You never know there may be a BC person who could knock it together obeying distancing rules for you and get it playing.

Are thee holes pre-drilled? If so it’s even simpler!

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I have no idea if the holes are pre-drilled or not!

Wouldn't know where to start on the nut. 

My luthier is very close to me, but I can't say that a trip to a luthier is essential travel!

Fair enough - some new necks have nuts installed and pre cut - those that don’t you can get pre cut TUSQ nuts easily on line and glue them in, then it’s just a file as required in the set up, but I completely get it tinkering using not for everyone, and keeps luthiers in business.

I just like to try to tinker in me spare time if I get any!

7 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'd like to assemble a parts bass at some point, but I'd rather make my first attempt on something really really cheap and not a bass that I love!

Can’t fault that logic , I went deep end in for my first almost made me more careful!

On 02/04/2020 at 18:53, fretmeister said:

I've got a lovely Fender American Special P bass, but I really prefer a jazz neck.

US parts used to be on the Fender website but now that is location locked and only shows up from a USA IP address. So where is a good place to get a real USA jazz bass neck in the UK?

ta.

What about if someone had a Fender and the neck was too jazzy for them and you and this person swapped? 

Just now, stewblack said:

What about if someone had a Fender and the neck was too jazzy for them and you and this person swapped? 

On 03/04/2020 at 11:07, casapete said:

Maybe worth a wanted advert on here and other places, to see if there’s a chance someone out there has a jazz neck they want to swap for yours? Admit it’s a long shot as like yourself more people seem to prefer the jazz profile, but hey it’s worth a go? 🤔

My thoughts exactly Stew 😆