Why become a member? ×

Sting Fender Signature Model - Who has/had one?

BassApprentice

Sitting listening to The Police and remember trying one of the Sting signature models years ago when I was too young to appreciate it. 

Can't remember seeing one for sale or anyone posting about them so just wondering what the general opinion of them is. Are they just a simple 50's P Bass with his signature slapped on the 12th fret? 

4 hours ago, police squad said:

one is the fender Sting bass

The other is a Bravewood

The wink obviously wasn't ironic enough... So here's a tale.

I have just re-bought the first album Outlandos D'Amour as part of the latest Police box. My diary tells me I first bought it on (blue) vinyl in early 1979.

I was a major fan at that point and had got Cant Stand Losing You on its first time round as a single (25p in Woolies bargain box). Persuaded my band to play it, and we played it well, but when it was a hit we dropped it like a stone.

Come a gig at the Moonlight Club where we supported Furniture (remember them?), we were so whizzed off with their shoddy treatment of us - a mic went missing and we had hired the PA - we encored against their will with said song. It brought the house down! So gawd bless you Sting, for about a year you were my idol.

PS A BBC camera crew filmed us. Wonder what happened to the footage...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

I have just re-bought the first album Outlandos D'Amour as part of the latest Police box. My diary tells me I first bought it on (blue) vinyl in early 1979.

I was a major fan at that point and had got Cant Stand Losing You on its first time round as a single (25p in Woolies bargain box). Persuaded my band to play it, and we played it well, but when it was a hit we dropped it like a stone.

Come a gig at the Moonlight Club where we supported Furniture (remember them?), we were so whizzed off with their shoddy treatment of us - a mic went missing and we had hired the PA - we encored against their will with said song. It brought the house down! So gawd bless you Sting, for about a year you were my idol.

There's lots of repeats on at the moment, your day may come!

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Driving away from home ...

On 02/04/2020 at 21:13, bassbiscuits said:

I could live with that inlay no problem, if it was a good bass. I think they look fantastic basses. 

They are good basses 

Same as 51s but with body contours making them more comfortable and less weight due to there being less wood 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gareth said:

They are good basses 

Same as 51s but with body contours making them more comfortable and less weight due to there being less wood 

I love the 51s, there’s something special about them, never tried the Sting but am sure that those contours must make them a lot easier to play/wear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gareth said:

They are good basses 

I played a custom shop 55 P I think it was a while ago. I really really wanted to like it but it felt really like quite an antiquated design. I play a P and a Mustang so I’m into a fairly retro approach, but the old style P was just a bit too far into the past for my tastes.

Which is a shame because I think they are among the coolest looking basses on the planet  (alongside the late 50s maple/sunburst/gold pick guard Precisions and 1960s Thunderbird IV) 

Never owned a Sting model but had a couple of the '51 reissues in both 2 tone sunburst and colonel mustard finishes. They do have a completely different sound to a regular split coil precision.

When I decided to have Warmoth build me something I went with the '54 shape with contours as the '51 shape was a bit uncomfortable. I went for the vintage look including a Lollar pickup, single screw tug bar and Gotoh reverse lightweight tuners but that's a Gotoh 201 under the bridge cover as I wanted to have the full range of adjustment. I also specced a jazz width neck.

I think that I also had a set of Optima chrome roundwound strings on it. It sounded so amazing through my Trace V-type combo

DSC02078.jpg

DSC01508.JPG

DSC04941.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 13:36, police squad said:

yep I had one. It was a lovely bass. Fantastic neck and I loved the glass like finish. It sort of purrred when you played it. Not a sound I've ever really heard again from a bass.

I sold it when i took delivery of my Bravewood (gratuitous pic opportunity)

Sting '55 bass 001.JPG

no pickguard.jpg

Beautiful. Dare one ask how much Bravewood charge for their services?