Why become a member? ×

Crimson Guitars P-Bass build on YouTube.

chrisba

I've been watching Ben's guitar build videos a lot recently, beacuse it's so good to see a master craftsman at work, and he's a good presenter.

Now, for the first time, he's doing a bass biuld. A P-bass from scratch, with interesting choices of materials.

Now seriously considering whether I can afford to go one one of his courses....

Enjoy !

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Now come on, you're telling me I can't build a bass out of this old door with a sanding block and a junior hacksaw? 😅

With a few more hand tools, some means of sharpening them and lot of time and effort you probably could (if you had the required skills).

I made a solid electric guitar during my last year at school using nothing but hand tools. Operations that are done in minutes in the video (even allowing for the time-lapse photography) took me ages with constant sharpening in order for them to cut accurately. I think the whole build took in excess of 150 hours and that was without having to make the neck (which I bought fretted and finished).

• Like 1

Ben is a bit of a tool junkie. He's a collector of vintage tools, and actually also runs a vintage tools website! 

He's got videos on his Crimson Guitars channel that consist of him just fawning over his tools. :)

Interesting also that he is using a single block of spalted wood for the body, rather than using something that hasn't been weakened by disease and rot, and leaving the interesting looking but less substantial wood for a cap only. I suppose he's got some means of stabilising/strengthening it which we'll see later in the build.

A mate of mine living in New Zealand came over last year to build his own super-Strat guitar at Crinson guitars - he couldn't speak highly enough of Ben and the folks there.  Not cheap for the 2 week course plus hotel mind........

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Interesting also that he is using a single block of spalted wood for the body, rather than using something that hasn't been weakened by disease and rot, and leaving the interesting looking but less substantial wood for a cap only. I suppose he's got some means of stabilising/strengthening it which we'll see later in the build.

I would imagine it’s thick enough to be ok. The amount of carbon in the neck seemed a lot!

On 02/04/2020 at 16:35, BassApprentice said:

Now come on, you're telling me I can't build a bass out of this old door with a sanding block and a junior hacksaw? 😅

There's a few people on ebay who would say you can.🙂

On 02/04/2020 at 10:17, chrisba said:

I've been watching Ben's guitar build videos a lot recently, beacuse it's so good to see a master craftsman at work, and he's a good presenter.

Now, for the first time, he's doing a bass biuld. A P-bass from scratch, with interesting choices of materials.

Now seriously considering whether I can afford to go one one of his courses....

Enjoy !

Ditto. I'm absolutely addicted to his YouTube channel, and, like you, am wondering whether I can afford one of his courses (though I'd really want to pack up everything, do his 3 month luthier course and set up my own guitar business. In my dreams.....

Edited by 6feet7

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. To me the juxtaposition of the blue top with the natural coloured neck and back is just all wrong and rather ugly.

There is something for everyone out there :)

• Like 1