Anyway, here’s a track featuring a brief bass solo - more of a punctuation really - by one of my favourite players: 

20 hours ago, 4000 said:

Don’t really understand the hate MK gets from a lot of BC-ers. I think he’s a great player.

Oh, and he is a great drummer too. 

Me neither. I’m really not into the slap thing at all, I’m first to admit he is a great player though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4000 said:

I don’t really grasp what about him isn’t “an actual bass player”. What is “an actual bass player”? Stanley, Jaco, JJB, Squire, Entwistle, Garrison, Feraud, Berlin are all “actual bass players” to me. 
To me he IS the glue that holds Level 42 together. It just implies that some have a fairly narrow view of what a bass player is or can be.  I’ve heard some say the same thing about Entwistle in The Who, which to me is just laughable.

Nail on head.

😊

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

Me neither. I’m really not into the slap thing at all, I’m first to admit he is a great player though.

Maybe it’s the “ubiquitous Phil Collins” effect. Too much exposure by half (I’ll add that I love Phil, so it’s not a dig). 😉

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I figure you use whatever you need to play what you want. If it’s marigolds and spoons, go for it. 😉

When I started, 40 years ago, every bassist I liked bar I think Geddy and Geezer used a plectrum, so that’s what I did. Never even occurred to me to play fingerstyle at the time. About 15 or 20 years on, when prolapsed discs in my neck affected the nerves in my arms and hands, using a plectrum saved my playing life. I could still play some fingerstyle, but I doubt I could play an entire set that way and certain things I just couldn’t execute anymore with my fingers.

The thing that really annoys me is many people think if you use a plectrum you must be some ham-fisted simplistic player (not that there is anything wrong with that). No-one would expect Steve Vai or Allan Holdsworth to be hamfisted, so why a bassist? And of course there are players like Steve Swallow, Chris Squire, Bobby Vega, Anthony Jackson...

Back to Kingy, I completely appreciate that his playing, and Level 42 generally, are very much not to everyone’s taste (to be honest I lost interest after World Machine), but to extend that to “he’s rubbish” is a heck of a stretch. I mean, Allan Holdsworth again springs to mind; his music was extremely challenging to listen to (impossible for many) but his playing, in context, was staggering. 

A case in point is that I am very much a rock fingerstyle player, but back in the 80s I was persuaded by a band leader to play with a pick (very much an 80s rock thing and seems to be again to an extent). Therefore, I was using a pick in the two bands that I was most known for. On reflection that was a mistake as I was always a much stronger fingerstyle player and I changed back after about seven years, but I do understand the reason they wanted me to change. Even now, I occasionally come across someone who is surprised that I play with my fingers as they always remembered me as using a pick.

As far as Mark King goes – not really my thing but what a great player. I wish that I could play like that, even if I would hardly ever use it! Remember, there are people here who dismiss Jaco’s playing as ‘mindless noodling / shredding’…! The Holdsworth example is a good one - one of the most influential guitar players ever, not exactly the most accessible…

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

King is indeed a great player, and completely not my thing.  I'm happy I can't play like him, and doubtless he'd be happy that he doesn't play like me.  

Some people have difficulty recognising that a lack of interest in a player or his music does not automatically signify a lack of respect in their skills and abilities.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Some people have difficulty recognising that a lack of interest in a player or his music does not automatically signify a lack of respect in their skills and abilities.

Well observed. Perhaps they want others to validate their preferences.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

King is indeed a great player, and completely not my thing.  I'm happy I can't play like him, and doubtless he'd be happy that he doesn't play like me.  

That wasn’t my issue, just in case that’s what’s being implied. My issue was people who genuinely seem to think he’s crap. 😉

48 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I think that the way some people express their lack of interest can sometimes be interpreted in that way... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/04/2020 at 16:17, flaxholmelis said:

This thread is topical for me as I've just been learning this. Bass solo from 3.07, but great all the way through. Don't care what anyone else thinks, I love it.

Had to comment on this one, as it was this album, not least this track and its bass solo in particular that got me into bass playing, when my dad used to play it back when I was 13...Still love Andy Fraser's honky tone!

I've always liked my bass solos to be pretty exaggerated and the character of the player's always been a big part of that, in the same way that I've always liked guitar players like EVH and Pantera's late, great Dimebag Darrell, for instance...Big 2 for me have to be:

Jaco at the height of his powers on this one. I've been trying to nail this for a long time and now resigned to the fact that I'll never have that stamina...2:27 onwards  

Living color's excellent previous bassist, Muzz Skillings, with this Jazzy but tasteful solo...From the 33 second mark

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, bakerster135 said:

Living color's excellent previous bassist, Muzz Skillings, with this Jazzy but tasteful solo...From the 33 second mark

With regards to Muzz Skillings, there’s a lovely bass solo/feature off their debut album on this track at about 2mins 15secs in... (edited to say it’s well worth listening from the beginning of the track as the bass feature works really well within the context of the song - a most important consideration!)

Edited by Old Man Riva

One of my favourites to play is the Frankie Goes To a Hollywood version of Born To  Run. Instead of the saxophone solo in the Springsteen version there is nifty bass solo. It comes in at 1.51.

I like this a lot. No slap, not a billion notes per second, just a restrained, melodic and highly original piece of solo bass music played beautifully.

• Like 4

Manring is so far removed from everyone else. True genius. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bakerster135 said:

Had to comment on this one, as it was this album, not least this track and its bass solo in particular that got me into bass playing, when my dad used to play it back when I was 13...Still love Andy Fraser's honky tone!

I've always liked my bass solos to be pretty exaggerated and the character of the player's always been a big part of that, in the same way that I've always liked guitar players like EVH and Pantera's late, great Dimebag Darrell, for instance...Big 2 for me have to be:

Jaco at the height of his powers on this one. I've been trying to nail this for a long time and now resigned to the fact that I'll never have that stamina...2:27 onwards  

Listening to Jaco on that depresses me somewhat, not because it’s great (it is), but because I’ve heard so few fusion players since who have really taken a completely different approach. About 98% of them are still essentially “doing a Jaco”. Although he’s not my favourite player, one of the greatest things about him was how unique he was. 

Saw Muzz with Living Colour at Manchester Academy back in the day. He was great and the band were tremendous. 

4 hours ago, mep said:

One of my favourites to play is the Frankie Goes To a Hollywood version of Born To  Run. Instead of the saxophone solo in the Springsteen version there is nifty bass solo. It comes in at 1.51.

Remember them doing that live on The Tube. It was great! Think he used a Stingray IIRC. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I believe he did use a Stingray. I do too. Well, used to as it's no longer in our set anymore.

Edited by mep

On 03/04/2020 at 17:49, 4000 said:

I mean, Allan Holdsworth again springs to mind; his music was extremely challenging to listen to (impossible for many) but his playing, in context, was staggering. 

Yeah but once you get it with AH, there's no going back...

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 10:08, Old Horse Murphy said:

Hmmm, I admire Mark King and think he's a super talent, but I always thought that Level 42 needed a Bass player in their band to fill out their sound.

My vote for best Bass solo is JE's solo in My Generation, or Pino's in Get Here by Oleta Adams.

I agree.

If find a lot of Allan Holsworth compositions very 'samey'. Love his soloing but I am ambivalent about his 'toons'. 

19 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Manring is so far removed from everyone else. True genius. 

I went to one of his clinics and it was just remakably cool to experience the depth of his knowledge. Also saw him play a house concert to all of ten people, and give his all as if it were ten thousand. He's just a joy to talk to face to face as well.

I love this one, because it's so unexpected off Slade's second album and so good, should play from a few seconds before it starts:

I personally like a bass solo that means you can do entirely without a band - all you need is EZ drummer, some programming skills and a bit of practice:

On 04/04/2020 at 11:45, thebassist said:

I like this a lot. No slap, not a billion notes per second, just a restrained, melodic and highly original piece of solo bass music played beautifully.

I totally agree!!!! Too me its all about composition! Regarding bass solo I don't dislike them I actually love them but in order a bass player should have this solid foundation Timing, groove

No groove lo like it

MM is a  master and a truly inspiration as a player and a man

and an amazing composer