Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Sounds like he's fallen down the stairs while holding a bass between his legs.

Don’t really understand the hate MK gets from a lot of BC-ers. I think he’s a great player.

Oh, and he is a great drummer too. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

My fave bass solo is Lemmy in Motörhead’s Stay Clean. Stays with the song which I think especially with a bass solo is vital.

I love Keep Us on the Road too. That’s a great solo. And Orgone Accumulator off Space Ritual.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 4000 said:

Don’t really understand the hate MK gets from a lot of BC-ers. I think he’s a great player.

I am note sure it is hate, for me Level 42 but especially MK leaves me cold, the bass is such an important part of a band sound, for me a great bass player can be expressive and creative whilst still being the glue that holds a song together, as many people have said before me Level 42 always sound like they could do with an actual bass player?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

I am note sure it is hate, for me Level 42 but especially MK leaves me cold, the bass is such an important part of a band sound, for me a great bass player can be expressive and creative whilst still being the glue that holds a song together, as many people have said before me Level 42 always sound like they could do with an actual bass player?

I don’t really grasp what about him isn’t “an actual bass player”. What is “an actual bass player”? Stanley, Jaco, JJB, Squire, Entwistle, Garrison, Feraud, Berlin are all “actual bass players” to me. 
To me he IS the glue that holds Level 42 together. It just implies that some have a fairly narrow view of what a bass player is or can be.  I’ve heard some say the same thing about Entwistle in The Who, which to me is just laughable.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

I think anyone that thinks Mark King isn’t a great bass player needs to go back to the earliest material and particularly his fingerstyle stuff. “The Sun Goes Down” is a masterclass in economical, tight, fingerstyle. I’m really not a slap fan (other than old school funk with basic lines) and no fan of Level 42 but he is a fabulous player that lifted bass playing. He was also a frontman who sang as well as playing some pretty nifty lines. From me, total respect :)

Another point is that it’s easy to knock someone that’s been out there and done it from the safety of our keyboard; sometimes it’s more of a challenge to recognise great players/performers even if the style is not to your taste. A sense of historical perspective doesn’t hurt either. This is in no way meant to stifle opinion or debate. We all have our tastes and predilections and I’ve learned a lot and picked up on new bass players and music from this forum. Personally I’d much rather listen to MK than, for example, Victor Wooten (but I recognise he’s a master bass player and innovator!)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 4000 said:

I think many BassChatters seem to think that the bass should be entirely in the background, playing the root and occasionally fifth, preferably without too much clever syncopation, and if possible, should be standing behind a rhythm guitarist and what shows of the bassist should be obscured by the crash cymbal.

Anything else is just Showing Off, and should be left to eejits who would otherwise be playing lead guitar...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I think many BassChatters seem to think that the bass should be entirely in the background, playing the root and occasionally fifth, preferably without too much clever syncopation, and if possible, should be standing behind a rhythm guitarist and what shows of the bassist should be obscured by the crash cymbal.

Anything else is just Showing Off, and should be left to eejits who would otherwise be playing lead guitar...

I'm more than happy to be up front and in your face as a bass player and in our Mod band I am and love it. But, although I recognise MKs talent I just don't like Level 42, never have never will, its not just MK, it's the whole sound.

I don't like a lot the 'usual suspects' rolled out on Basschat but total understand why others do. I tried to like Stanley Clark years ago as I'd heard of his influence, I just can't listen to it. A friend lent me some Rush albums, and I really did give them a go but I just can't listen to it.

I just don't like Prog or Fusion so that rules out a lot of good bass players for me. There's just something about those styles of music that make me cringe as soon as I hear the first few bars. I'm not missing out though as there's more than enough music out there in the styles I do enjoy to last my lifetime. 🙂

• Like 3

The only type of bass soloing I can't get on with is jazz.  Not all jazz, but specifically the improvised solos where it's a flurry of notes, followed by a pause.  Wait for the next bar.  Another burst of widdling, another pause.  Next bar.  Dadoop-a-dee-doop-doop-doopedy-doop da-doop-a-doop-doopedy-doop, pause.  And so on.  An extended sequence of parping and then pausing, that I find strange and bewildering.  If you did this on a piano you'd surely get thrown out of piano club, but do it on a bass and everyone claps once you're done.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

although I recognise MKs talent I just don't like Level 42

Me neither, at least not after the Early Tapes...

But I'd never say Level 42 actually needed a bass player, after all they've got a keyboard player with functioning left hand!

But there does seem to be a sort of sneering from some corners of BC at players who get busy. As if they're not proper bass players...

Not liking widdlywoo upfront players is fine - personally I can't be doing with Genesis, Yes or much of 70s rock-godism, but that's just my taste  -one man's bangin' choon is another's f0okin awful racket!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, linear said:

The only type of bass soloing I can't get on with is jazz.  Not all jazz, but specifically the improvised solos where it's a flurry of notes, followed by a pause.  Wait for the next bar.  Another burst of widdling, another pause.  Next bar.  Dadoop-a-dee-doop-doop-doopedy-doop da-doop-a-doop-doopedy-doop, pause.  And so on.  An extended sequence of parping and then pausing, that I find strange and bewildering.  

So petty much Jacko's whole act then?

For what it's worth, I don't get it either. It's just a load of noise. 

I do like a lot of Jaco's stuff, but if it sounds like the player is having to take a rest every few seconds to have a little think about what they're about to play next, then I'm out.

23 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Me neither, at least not after the Early Tapes...

But I'd never say Level 42 actually needed a bass player, after all they've got a keyboard player with functioning left hand!

But there does seem to be a sort of sneering from some corners of BC at players who get busy. As if they're not proper bass players...

Not liking widdlywoo upfront players is fine - personally I can't be doing with Genesis, Yes or much of 70s rock-godism, but that's just my taste  -one man's bangin' choon is another's f0okin awful racket!

See I love Prog, but anyone is entitled to like or dislike whatever music they want. 
But you’re right, there is an attitude from some bass players that if you’re busy,  you’re doing something wrong. Probably the same crowd who think you can’t use a plectrum.🙄

To me, it’s all about context. 

28 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Probably the same crowd who think you can’t use a plectrum.🙄

You've got to draw the line somewhere!

I've never used a plectrum, and probably never will. But then I suspect that most people wouldn't dream of playing in the cack-handed-fingers-and-thumbs way I do....

But each to their own again! I'm also a bass heretic because I use 2 channels of compression, tube overdrive compression, 2 envelope filters, basswhammy and a bass synth - plus the ultimate sign of the apostate bass player - no Fenders!

My favourite solo is also probably the shortest at 5 seconds max, and opens the track in rip roaring fashion:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, flaxholmelis said:

This thread is topical for me as I've just been learning this. Bass solo from 3.07, but great all the way through. Don't care what anyone else thinks, I love it.

The version of this solo from "Free Live" is generally thought of as the definitive one. It's amazing and to my ears (and those of many) better than the one on the studio track. Probably easier to learn too!

• Like 4

Can two basses be a bass solo? I thought not. 

Maybe solo'd dual basses or twin bass solo (with drum accompaniment). 

Either way I'm nominating this and I don't care. 😁

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 4000 said:

I'm not saying he's not a great player, but that solo sounds like it was played by one legged cat which was trying to bury a turd in a frozen pond at the same time.

I can can drum and play the recorder, penny whistle, guitar and keyboard, but I don't expect any adulation or admiration for it.

Edited by Bassfinger

Posted (edited)
On 02/04/2020 at 10:08, Old Horse Murphy said:

Hmmm, I admire Mark King and think he's a super talent, but I always thought that Level 42 needed a Bass player in their band to fill out their sound.

On 02/04/2020 at 10:54, Lozz196 said:

My fave bass solo is Lemmy in Motörhead’s Stay Clean. Stays with the song which I think especially with a bass solo is vital.

There are those who have suggested that Motorhead didn't really have a bass player as well - Phil Taylor and Eddie Clarke for a start, who in an interview long after their tenure suggested that they had to completely amend the way they played to cover for there not being a proper bass player in the band...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/04/2020 at 10:42, gareth said:

Yes my feelings exactly

Mark King is of course technically great but emotionally empty

No emotion no point 

My nomination would be 

For those who get freaked out by the thought of Jaco, here's an example of him playing in a genuine rock and roll setting with a great solo (starting at 1:19) and an otherwise supportive bassline throughout the rest of the song... 

Edited by peteb

Posted (edited)

I love Andy Fraser’s solo part on Free Live! Became slightly obsessed with it in my youth!

Then became slightly obsessed with this for a while. Not sure whether this (or Andy Fraser’s) is a solo, or a feature or some other term. Anyhow, I love it.

Mr Willie Weeks... (from about 8mins)

As someone else has referenced My Generation, I’d add that, for me, it’s probably my favourite pop single of all time - ridiculous to have a favourite, I know, and it changes almost daily (some such vs. Bowie, mostly!) - but the song, the sentiment, the playing, Daltrey’s vocal and THAT bass section are incredible. All packed into a little over three minutes.

To have heard that on the radio for the first time in 1965 - wow! 

Edited by Old Man Riva

1 hour ago, petebassist said:

My favourite solo is also probably the shortest at 5 seconds max, and opens the track in rip roaring fashion:

Actually probably my all time favourite and one main reason why I'm here doing this now. Still going to see these guys - I first saw them in 1982, last saw them Oct 19  - and that intro is quite literally spine tingling live.

The other reason I'm here doing this now - and by that I mean playing bass and therefore chatting on this group -  is Primary by The Cure which someone else has mentioned. Oh My God - amazing stuff!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So petty much Jacko's whole act then?

For what it's worth, I don't get it either. It sounds like a load of noise to me.

Fixed :)

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

You've got to draw the line somewhere!

I've never used a plectrum, and probably never will. But then I suspect that most people wouldn't dream of playing in the cack-handed-fingers-and-thumbs way I do....

But each to their own again! I'm also a bass heretic because I use 2 channels of compression, tube overdrive compression, 2 envelope filters, basswhammy and a bass synth - plus the ultimate sign of the apostate bass player - no Fenders!

I figure you use whatever you need to play what you want. If it’s marigolds and spoons, go for it. 😉

When I started, 40 years ago, every bassist I liked bar I think Geddy and Geezer used a plectrum, so that’s what I did. Never even occurred to me to play fingerstyle at the time. About 15 or 20 years on, when prolapsed discs in my neck affected the nerves in my arms and hands, using a plectrum saved my playing life. I could still play some fingerstyle, but I doubt I could play an entire set that way and certain things I just couldn’t execute anymore with my fingers.

The thing that really annoys me is many people think if you use a plectrum you must be some ham-fisted simplistic player (not that there is anything wrong with that). No-one would expect Steve Vai or Allan Holdsworth to be hamfisted, so why a bassist? And of course there are players like Steve Swallow, Chris Squire, Bobby Vega, Anthony Jackson...

Back to Kingy, I completely appreciate that his playing, and Level 42 generally, are very much not to everyone’s taste (to be honest I lost interest after World Machine), but to extend that to “he’s rubbish” is a heck of a stretch. I mean, Allan Holdsworth again springs to mind; his music was extremely challenging to listen to (impossible for many) but his playing, in context, was staggering.