Why become a member? ×

Rotosound gamble.

danbowskill

I love roti's 110 gauge nicklerounds, I know they don't last super long and can be slightly rough, but after years of searching for "the one" string sound (low priced and high) Ive never found a better sound for me.......

.... The thing is the last couple of years its been a gamble buying packs as I've opened so many now where the E is as dead as a door knob fresh out the bag 😑, anyone else get this? Has their QC took a dive? It sucks as I love them for pick playing

I used Rotos for years, never once had a bad string. However due to their less than impressive life span I did a bit of research and many other Roto-lovers recommended Warwick Red Labels (steel version). They’re very similar in sound, and last at least twice, maybe three times as long. Maybe worth trying their nickel version?

• Like 2

Tbh I’ve never had a duff set from rs. I’ve used them for many years. 
I had a student that had a shimmy set once, but after I suggested he email them to mention it, he was sent replacements. 
I’ve also used Warwick reds after a trade rep gave me some. They’re ok, but I wouldn’t use them in any other situation than an emergency stopgap. I’ve certainly not found them to outlast rotos

2 hours ago, bertbass said:

I used to use Elite Stadium steel strings, 50 - 110 but tried NewTone steel strings, 50 - 110 and now I'm hooked.  

Heard about these a few times but never tried. Anyone use the nickel ones going from rotosound?

On 01/04/2020 at 22:30, Lozz196 said:

I used Rotos for years, never once had a bad string. However due to their less than impressive life span I did a bit of research and many other Roto-lovers recommended Warwick Red Labels (steel version). They’re very similar in sound, and last at least twice, maybe three times as long. Maybe worth trying their nickel version?

Another vote for Warwick Reds, dirt cheap, sound great, last well, nuff said

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2020 at 12:03, naxos10 said:

Yep, Newtone strings are what I use and can't fault them or the company that makes them and they are British to boot.

I have two sets of Newtone strings on my bass's, they are exceptionally good and they have been on for close to 6 months and only now am i thinking they might need changing soon but still reckon get couple  ore months from them.  be a bit of a wait due to the virus so may order them early.

I think i  might put a review up on here.

• Like 1

On 20 April 2020 at 16:09, danbowskill said:

"Witness point"??....

I'm bending cut ends with pliers before wrapping round tuners, apparently stops any stretch of the core that can dead them quick. Never been a problem with other good sets

It's giving each brand new string a hard push down (tuned up) on the pickup side of each saddle to create an angle on the string rather than a slow bend. This gives maximum contact with the saddle when fitting from new. 

Try it now on your bass even on slightly not so new strings and you will more than likely get a clearer more true sound on each string. 

54 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

It's giving each brand new string a hard push down (tuned up) on the pickup side of each saddle to create an angle on the string rather than a slow bend. This gives maximum contact with the saddle when fitting from new. 

Try it now on your bass even on slightly not so new strings and you will more than likely get a clearer more true sound on each string. 

Never heard that before, will be sure to give it a try...... Cheers