gareth

Poor Quality Fender

CBS at the peak of their love. Nineteen hundred quid too. 8ollock$.

• Like 3

I remember seeing a white mid-60’s P for sale for ten grand a few years ago. Much of the paint had been worn away and you could see the body was pieced together from several oddly-shaped offcuts of scrap wood. The cheap practices were in effect long before CBS really got their feet under the table.

Ten grand for a glued together jigsaw puzzle 😂

Not rushing to their defence but I wonder if the passage of time and UV light has caused the difference on colours now apparent?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Waddycall said:

What about the knot in the back???

It’s a disgrace

This body if it was used at all should have had a solid colour finish 

Surprising as early 70’s were meant to be better quality wise for fender than say the late 70’s

Perhaps just shows the lack of importance fender showed to its lesser student models which of course is what the mustang is and always was - the bottom of the fender bass range - just one up from the musicmaster

Edited by gareth

7 minutes ago, therealting said:

Their error was not flagging this for a solid colour finish. 

Yeah if it wasn’t 4 squillion quids, would be a nice refinish candidate.

It's a known fact that Leo Fender was a money grabber, hence the L series, which was a mistake when he ordered a new patch of plates and the non waxed pickups when he ordered the wrong wire that was shorting when waxed.

He could have used the toilet seat to finish an instrument too...

So sad, but true.

• Like 1

Ive got a natural 76 Precision that looks a bit like this, bought from @Old Horse Murphy some years back. Dubious in looks but light as a feather, plays like butter and tone to die for!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

It's a known fact that Leo Fender was a money grabber, hence the L series, which was a mistake when he ordered a new patch of plates and the non waxed pickups when he ordered the wrong wire that was shorting when waxed.

Who would have thought the L series would become some of the most desirable instruments he ever made?

Indeed, furthermore based on a mistaken plate number !

The seller is a FaceBook friend of mine but I won't point him towards this thread 🤐

• Haha 2

This bass is 47 years old, so it's had many years of ownership behind it. Owned, and presumable loved, by some/many in that time. If it sounded good enough the wood wouldn't be a problem for me.

• Like 1

Just now, chris_b said:

This bass is 47 years old, so it's had many years of ownership behind it. Owned, and presumable loved, by some/many in that time. If it sounded good enough the wood wouldn't be a problem for me.

My FB pal (the seller) absolutely loves this bass (he has been banging on about how great it is for many moons) but he has lost his job due to current circumstances. Just sayin'

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Clarky said:

My FB pal (the seller) absolutely loves this bass (he has been banging on about how great it is for many moons) but he has lost his job due to current circumstances. Just sayin'

Is he being realistic in the price?

I sold my 66 red mustang with paddle tuners for £1200 a year or so ago

Just saying 

Let’s face it, Mustangs were always intended to be low priced “student” models so no wonder no one really cared what went into them.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Let’s face it, Mustangs were always intended to be low priced “student” models so no wonder no one really cared what went into them.

Exactly 

So how did we get from there to today’s mad market where mustangs sell for more than precisions?

It truly is a mad world as anyone living today must know

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

The market is working as designed. Less common things will usually attract a higher price than plentiful things.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

That would be Musicmaster's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

He is probably trying his luck but you can't blame a guy for trying

Out of interest did he get it for around £700 the other year? I remember a guy on Facebook looking for a USA one and getting lucky with a nice seller. I remember seeing it pictured and it looked very similar.

Just now, kristo said:

Out of interest did he get it for around £700 the other year? I remember a guy on Facebook looking for a USA one and getting lucky with a nice seller. I remember seeing it pictured and it looked very similar.

I don't know. I do know he mentioned that he had picked up a couple of older US Mustangs (including the competition orange early 70s one pictured on eBay ad) for a song but I am not sure if the sunburst was the second one in the deal. 

On a separate but related note, my '71 competition blue Mustang is a fabulous bass so I for one don't consider it a "lower priced student model"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Waddycall said:

What about the knot in the back???

I had a natural G&L Tribute many moons ago that had a knot in the front.....