Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

4 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Many thanks @Dad3353 I understand the theory , it’s actually the thought of doing it , and doing it right , I suspect I have no idea of the actual way to do this 🤷‍♂️ :o

R91KekF.gif

Do it, or get it done by Someone Who Knows, before the data gets lost. After, it's too late. Once the process is set up, it's simple enough (even I manage, so... 9_9 ). 

We're in, despite the computer problems !!

A tad unfinished, but as Douglas often says "less is sometimes more" . Just glad I could save it ,(along with most of the past), hey ho !

Entry into this months basschat comp using the picture chosen by last months winner, (me !!), as inspiration.
A change from the norm, using some Garritan orchestra on my little lpk25 keyboard. There's still a tad of Squire guitar, and some freesound noises and that's it.
The walk is from the ruined settlement on Shapley Tor and ends in the picture, which is looking SSE from Haytor.

• Like 2

OK , mine is about as good as I can get it I reckon , I had some great help and advice with this from Andy (Erax sound) wolverinebass which enabled me to focus back on some of the fundamentals . 

Enjoy :D

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 2

On 03/04/2020 at 02:36, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the April 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Fingers211..!
Something a bit jaunty for blowing away the cobwebs of current affairs, with a sort of Gaelic/Celtic bent in there somewhere. Good for dancing to, too, if the fancy takes you. Go on, there's no-one looking.
All Kontakt instruments, save the fine Ruby bass.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Half a pound of tuppeny rice rocked up there  Douglas , great fun , really enjoyed it :D

Edited by lurksalot
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2020 at 11:10, fingers211 said:

We're in, despite the computer problems !!

A tad unfinished, but as Douglas often says "less is sometimes more" . Just glad I could save it ,(along with most of the past), hey ho !

Entry into this months basschat comp using the picture chosen by last months winner, (me !!), as inspiration.
A change from the norm, using some Garritan orchestra on my little lpk25 keyboard. There's still a tad of Squire guitar, and some freesound noises and that's it.
The walk is from the ruined settlement on Shapley Tor and ends in the picture, which is looking SSE from Haytor.

That IS a change from the norm and you smashed it , a lovely interlude from the jigging and funking offered up so far :D , most excellent sir  B|

• Like 1

Long time voter, first time entrant... I guess lockdown does have it's advantages.

Based on the pic provided I've gone for a theme of rediscovering the beauty of the world in a post lockdown, clean air utopia.

I'm only used to cobbling demos together for the band, so its been a voyage of discovery... turns out I know sod all about mixing, recording vocals (or singing for that matter), and a whole host of other things... still, I guess now is a good time to start learning!

• Like 5

Well bl00dy hell, that was harder than I wanted it to be. I'm determined to do a few more of these this year (not hard when I only did one ever before 2020) just for the learning and to push myself, I'm usually just a blues/rock kind of guy. Saw this month's and thought two things: 1. I like that picture, I go to (the northern version of) places like that a lot and I know how it makes me feel and 2. That will take me right out of my comfort zone. It really did as well, I'm working (WFH full time anyway) so no extra lockdown time for it either.

So, I've tried to do something true to the picture - I resisted the temptation to be a bit meta and do one about how hard it was to do one, or other more tenous things - so this tries to express something, but I'm really not sure about the results. On the plus side the piano lessons are really helping and I've learnt a lot about playing solo string parts on a keyboard. On the minus, I'm not even sure what it is I have produced and to me it's just a bit too "nice", which is not my thing... but, if I don't say to myself that I will definitley post what I write here when I'm done then I wont' make the effort, so here it is. At least there's a slight surprise part way through.

All VIs: SSD drums, a random stringy synth from Komplete 11 in the background and Spitfire Solo Strings for the Cello and Violin. The drums are fairly heavily modified from a Groove Monkee pattern, the rest is by me and played live on the keyboard, with a little bit of tweaking after for dynamics, vibrato etc.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 2

Not like me to be in with time to spare, but did this Sunday afternoon, with a bit of editing tonight. As it says in the notes, my first end to end tune done in Reaper. I tried to keep the processing to a minimum, but couldn't resist using the Leslie speaker fx chain for the 12 string rhythm guitar. I'm still working, but have had more time in the evenings to play the drums. Hope there's small green shoots of hope there.

I deliberately constrained myself by playing the tune in octaves. Without constraint, I found myself playing inappropriately fancy rock star guitar that ruined the mood.

• Like 3

On 02/04/2020 at 17:52, lurksalot said:

OMFG

just picked up the acoustic guitar to bash out some chords to warm up and this covid hands washing thing has left me with next to no fingertips........ OW :facepalm:

I feel your pain after a session on the 12string  and rounds on my fretless.  I've suffered for my art, now it's your turn  (when you listen to my "art")

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobbass4k said:

My ridiculous post-rock monstrosity is taking shape. Can't remember how long it's been for me on one of these but it's always a fun way to force me into finishing something.and confusing you all with 7/8 guitars over 5/4 drums...

I was made up the other day when I managed some 5/4 guitars over 5/4 drums (well ones that sounded decent anyway, I've always been able to play over 5/4 but not so that anyone would want to listen).

Or should that read "7 or 8 guitars over 5/4 drums"? I could manage that, though it would take a while to record.

21 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

My ridiculous post-rock monstrosity is taking shape. Can't remember how long it's been for me on one of these but it's always a fun way to force me into finishing something.and confusing you all with 7/8 guitars over 5/4 drums...

I'm looking forward to this one in particular (I think!). Better get your finger out, closes tomorrow, and you don't want a repeat of the MoonBassAlpha fiasco last month!

51 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I'm looking forward to this one in particular (I think!). Better get your finger out, closes tomorrow, and you don't want a repeat of the MoonBassAlpha fiasco last month!

I should probably temper expectations and say its actually 7/8 guitars over 8/8 drums, and only in a couple of sections. Also one of the chord sequences is shamelessly plagiarised from a loving homage to cardiacs.

32 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

I should probably temper expectations and say its actually 7/8 guitars over 8/8 drums, and only in a couple of sections. Also one of the chord sequences is shamelessly plagiarised from a loving homage to cardiacs.

Even better, we need some more out there stuff!! I was going to do a groove in 13/8, but YouTube told me not to do it! :) Even more reason to try, but I don't have the chops for it on the drums.

I've leaned hard into the "approaching strom/dark foreboding clouds" thing and gone in a cliche-y, melodramatic, 100s of guitars instrumental post-rock that was a lot of fun to lean into. It still does wonky time stuff because honestly I don't know how not to...

Mix is not good, I still haven't figured out exactly what soundcloud does to tracks but they always sound worse. 

• Like 1