Why become a member? ×

LPF pedals - what's out there?

mcnach

There's the Broughton one, of course, but they're not shipping to the UK right now.

Is there anything else out there that's not packed within a large pedal? I can't seem to find something that's not bundled with a lot of additional functions (and price tag to suit)

2 hours ago, Jakester said:

Thank you, I saw that one but it's a little dear and I only want the LPF section. If Broughton were shipping to the UK, I could get a new small footprint LPF-only (adjustable) for a fair amount less than that one. That's my plan: waiting until they ship to the UK again... but as I don't know when that will be, it would be nice to find an alternative, just in case.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

If you can find one used, the VLE is basically an LPF:

th?id=OIP.bH4hLt0os5hMmwyujtmVDQHaHa&pid

I've got one :), thank you for the suggestion, it's a great pedal that one.

It's pretty good, but it's stuck in a pedalboard I don't want to disassemble. It's also quite big, and you really need to run it at 12V for it to work well which also means a separate power supply in my case. At 9V it's not quite there, although it still works reasonably well.

Depending what you need it for, would a cab sim perform a similar job, as that might expand your options?  Zoom MS-60B is low-cost and Boss-sized, or one of the smaller Mooers (I've not used one myself, just seen them around).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, itu said:

Sizewise this is probably out of question, but my choice for fretless: Daring Audio's Phat Beam. Compressor included...

ACG preamp built in to a pedal?

I didn't know about that pedal, thank you! Yes, it's rather larger than what I want, but it looks REALLY interesting. Definitely one to remember about, thank you!

5 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Depending what you need it for, would a cab sim perform a similar job, as that might expand your options?  Zoom MS-60B is low-cost and Boss-sized, or one of the smaller Mooers (I've not used one myself, just seen them around).

Speaker simulations: not quite, I'd like to be able to go pretty low at times with the threshold frequency.

I have a Mooer Radar that I use sometimes, and it has a built-in HPF and a LPF. However the LPF only goes down to 3000 Hz, which is too high for my purposes. It's really there only to adjust the treble attenuation of the built-in cab sims, unfortunately. I wish it went lower, it would be a fantastic pedal then (It's still pretty good, just not as a stand-alone LPF).

20 hours ago, mcnach said:

Thank you, I saw that one but it's a little dear and I only want the LPF section. If Broughton were shipping to the UK, I could get a new small footprint LPF-only (adjustable) for a fair amount less than that one. That's my plan: waiting until they ship to the UK again... but as I don't know when that will be, it would be nice to find an alternative, just in case.

I've used shipito.com to buy pedals from US makers that didn't want to ship overseas. Set up a free account, you get a US address to give to Broughton, once Shipito receive it you'll get an alert and a choice of delivery options, they only charge a couple of dollars on top.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ambient said:

Yeah, but that's the LPF *plus* HPF and the price he's asking is... pretty high. The LPF only pedal is $95 new, which even with shipping and duty etc comes out substantially lower than what that guy is asking for the LPF+HPF ($165 new from the builder vs £215 used from that guy above...).

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I've used shipito.com to buy pedals from US makers that didn't want to ship overseas. Set up a free account, you get a US address to give to Broughton, once Shipito receive it you'll get an alert and a choice of delivery options, they only charge a couple of dollars on top.

Oh that's pretty cool. Good to know, thank you!

20 minutes ago, ambient said:

Have you spoken to the guy at Bright onion pedals? He might be able to build one to your specifications.

No, I haven't, good call! I have contacted a couple of other people and I *may* have found something really cool from a UK builder... watch this space. :)

If that doesn't work out the Bright Onion guy is a good call, I completely forgot about him, thank you! :)

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

Well, it's happening.

I'm getting an adjustable LPF, switchable ranges 44-490 or 175-1600 Hz (I could not decide which would be better for me, so... both just in case), gain control and fixed HPF at 30 Hz (I didn't really need that, but it won't hurt, it was part of the design and I'll just go with it). 

From SFX, UK-based business. 

It's essentally a Thumpinator HPF plus dual range adjustable LPF.

2 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I was about to recommend the Iron Ether Xerograph, but it seems you have already taken the plunge on something else...

I did consider it, it does a few additional things that I would definitely enjoy, but I could not find examples of it being used purely as a LPF, but my understanding is that you can, can't you?

5 minutes ago, itu said:

Xero is an envelope filter, we discuss about eq stuff.

I thought it had a LPF and you could set the controls so that it doesn't "quack"? I tried to find a definitive answer but failed. It does seem to be an excellent envelope filter 'though.

57 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I thought it had a LPF and you could set the controls so that it doesn't "quack"? I tried to find a definitive answer but failed. It does seem to be an excellent envelope filter 'though.

Janek is using it as a low pass filter in this review of the OC2.

17 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Janek is using it as a low pass filter in this review of the OC2.

Thank you, it was an interesting video (I do love my octavers) but it was hard to hear how clean or otherwise the LPF effect is. He seems to be using it mostly as an envelope filter 'wah' kind of effect.

• Like 1