Why become a member? ×

18-bass Comparison on the Same Track

therealting

Dammit - was one of the four Fenders! The first one to be precise: Fender CS Pino P bass

And a very biased / limited sample of 18, right i.e. no Yammys, Ibbys, Spectors, Warwicks, Sires, Squiers, Laklands etc etc? 

Least fav was the nasally MM Stingray which came next.

And yes I did listen to the rest (twice!) 😁

Yours?

Edited by Al Krow

Listened to it.

Of course, it's the Pino Palladino CS, as it's the only bass suited and fitted for that tune.

And as always a super unscientific totally biased comparison... Why not put a banjo bass in the process to be sure it's a complete non sense approach ?!?

That said, I liked the Moog sound too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I think the Stingray would've done a much better job wearing flats and a less scooped EQ. The Joe Dart MusicMan bass for example!

Yeah, that bass is capable of a much better tone than that. Rounds would work just fine, but reducing the treble (clank) and mid-scoop would sound a lot better. As somebody who plays a Stingray for 3/4 of my gigs, I find it surprising/frustrating that a lot of multi-bass demos just seem to go for that kind of sound. I'd have never bought one if that's the sound I'd get. 

The Precisions sounded best, for me. In particular the first one, the red Pino signature Precision. Beautiful.

• Like 1

The CS Pino wins by a long, long way for me. His settings on the Ray were not a good representation of what they can do in the context of a track like this. Treble boosted way too much.

• Like 2

As I always say: people don't know how to use Stingrays and then get surprised they "sound bad".

Seriously, everytime I listen to a demo like this, the bloke who plays it has to go and boost the EQ all the way up (creating that sizzly, mid-scoop tone that NO ONE uses) and call it a day.

I don't see him boosting the EQ all the way up on the other basses, why did he have to do it on the Stingray?

Anyhow, rant over, for this type of 50s/Motown music obviously the Fenders will sound amazing because that's what our ears are used to. Instant Jamerson vibes as soon as he started playing. Maybe a more neutral genre would have made more sense.

Thanks for sharing. :) 

Edited by kyuuga
  • Like 1

With a bit of EQ they would all have been perfectly fine.

I personally wasn't massively impressed with the choice of synth sounds, but I know there are far more appropriate sounds available out of all them (even the Juno) so with a bit more programming skill they would all have been able to provide a suitable bass sound as well.

My fave tones:

1- Pino

2- Warwick Triumph

3- Moolon J-Classic

4- F Bass (though maybe not on this track) 

5- Serek (whatever that is, the darkstared one) or the '66 Jazz

Surprised me how much I didn't really love the second P bass at all! 

Most disliked the Mustang, the Matsumoku short scale and the Stingray- which as has been discussed and isn't the fault of the bass.