Why become a member? ×

Styling cues you don't like

Rich

Oh yeah LEDs fret markers. Blurgh! 

Side ones I can understand but still don't want but what the hell are the ones on the front for? You can't see the front so they're not for the player, and they make your bass look like a cheap toy so they're not for audience. It's just jumping on the bandwagon of, "Ooh stick some blue LEDs in and it'll be cool". Not!

Warwick tuners. Straighten them up muppet! 😆

• Like 1

Oh lord, Warwick... just went to their website to check whether I was being unfair, but no, almost every single one of their designs looks like it was templated from a five-year-old's first attempt to draw a bass... :(

The wonky tuners... the dildo top horns... the nubbiny bottom horns... that one that looks like a melted Thunderbird...

But also - their website...! That little window, lost in the middle of the screen! It's like travelling 20 years back in time...

Edited by paulbuzz
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, paulbuzz said:

Oh lord, Warwick... just went to their website to check whether I was being unfair, but no, almost every single one of their designs looks like it was templated from a five-year-old's first attempt to draw a bass... :(

But also - their website...! That little window, lost in the middle of the screen! It's like travelling 20 years back in time...

The Katana is a joke isn't it? 

• Haha 1

Things I visually can't abide;

Single-cuts 

Ramps

Those weird hair ties that people put behind the nut.

6-strings+

Musicman Bongos / Stingray 5

Warwick Vampyre (the ugliest bass aside from the Bongo)

Sunburst of ANY kind (eugh)

Metally looking basses, pointy headstocks. (Although my Flea is dangerously close to this 😂)

Expensive basses that try to look like Fenders. Sadowsky et Al. (this is in no way a slight on quality or sound)

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

Here goes...
No Scratchplates, solid paint finishes, sunburst paint finishes, maple or any similarly light coloured fretboards, bridges made out of bent metal (solid, cast Bridges only please), “relic’d” finishes, headless basses, basses without bodies (eg Steinberger), chrome hardware styled to look like it came from a 60s American diner, headstock designs that cause the strings to exit the nut at a sharp angle......

Or in short, probably 75% of the basses out there.

17 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Au contraire mon ami, the early P/Tele Bass headstock has the most pleasing symmetry and it is the later P Bass that should be confined to a darkened room!

Agreed. The later ones are just too big and clunky, out of proportion to the neck. For me its too many control's on a bass, they Simply look messy.

• Like 1

For some reason Fodera, and that simplfied version of Ned Steinberger's Spector NS-1 and -2. No curved body, ugly headstock and controls, astronomical price, what else not to like? Every singlecut.

Spender "updates" that do not exist. Spender copycats.

"New" instruments with common electronics, pickups and strings with "very special piano like tone" and something "very extra new" that was actually old before the company was founded.

Tonewoods discussion.

Maple necks, front dots, LEDs included.

Carbon track pots which have some shiny brand name and still are just inferior carbon track pots.

Some 60 year old Spender in superior condition named as some holy grail, when in real life there has been some reason not to play an instrument. Unplayable? And not playing is not good to any instrument. Ask any pro double bassist.

Edited by itu
text issues
  • Like 1

Funny, most of these I have hated at some time, although to be fair, there are a few that I still dislike (orangey browny red sunburst and tort, especially but not exclusively together).  But some things, singlecuts, I hated them, then saw one I liked and after that sort of liked it, bongo shape, hated it then after a while of looking decided I actually liked it.

So there are very few absolutely no ways any more, just a lot of 'not nows'. Outside Foderas (and ebay customs), there are very few actually completely ugly basses, and at least they are different, so someone can love them.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its clearly made of cardboard!

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its clearly made of cardboard!

speaking of which, did anyone mention these?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/danelectro-58-longhorn-bass-in-copper-burst-dl58cblonghornbass?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItqvOy73E6AIVDkPTCh22fAAREAQYAyABEgLHJfD_BwE