Why become a member? ×

Styling cues you don't like

Rich

47 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

This. 

I’m also not a fan of the modern “coffee table” basses. Which, of course, reduces the demand for them (by, er, one), helping to keep the price down for those who do. 

It’s almost a public service.  

I agree, I think they should have been left as trees.  I call them either "conversation piece" , "mid-life crisis", or "More-money-than-sense"  basses.

Basses : Rickenbackers , No not in my house, sorry. Warwicks, great bridges shame about the rest of it. Any bass with a name I'm not sure how to pronounce.

Sounds: Jazz pickups... just ugh! especially that honky, farting bridge sound. It just 'aint bass to my ears! 

Colours:  that creamy off-white colour, green is a no go, light coloured "natural" also a no, however the darker natural colours are fairly nice. 

Design: Nothing says " I have a small willy" more than those stupid big single cut things. LED lights also... wtf?

🎸

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ead said:

Nah, that would be one of these :D

image.thumb.png.c701ba465ad47ceecb51560e7569dbd4.png

Nah - pure form, function, elegance and graceful, natural shape - apart from the tort, which I accept is an abomination. No silly pointy bits top and bottom.

image.jpeg.9cfd28c0c7a3c272dc5daf695d307c3d.jpeg

The problem with the Precision is the design classic is the Strat - the Precision 57 is basically a re-design to more match the Strat shape. The pickguard is an abomination to cover up unnecessarily removed routs and to mount the controls on like the Strat - so it's a cobble together basically - an engineer's solution with little styling - it's only because we're used to it that many don't appreciate it's bonkers, stylistically and functionally. It doesn't even extend to areas between the pick up and bridge you might pluck the strings (especially with the pick up and bridge cover on), yet it covers the extremities of the lower horn which only contortionist pickers might trouble. 

The Rickenbacker at least reflects its Art Deco shape and styling. The Precision pg is an engineer's solution to cover up unnecessary and expensive routing. 

Edited by drTStingray

Active battery compartments and wiring compartments that look like 2 big odd shapes of plastic just bunged on the back of the bass.

Too many pickups - double p type etc.

Relic'ing.

Brand names on bass body.

Plastic control panel knobs.

Capital letters used for names on the headstock.

Coloured straps.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

Its got to be Fodera. They design such beautiful basses and then it looks like they have forgotten about the aesthetics of what the pattern of the preamps knobs will look like. Its a cluster x*"! of knobs that have no cohesive design when it comes to the rest of the body. I don't get it. Jens Ritter does an amazing job. But no, not Fodera. Maybe its substance over style. 

20181220_094658.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Its got to be Fodera. They design such beautiful basses and then it looks like they have forgotten about the aesthetics of what the pattern of the preamps knobs will look like. Its a cluster x*"! of knobs that have no cohesive design when it comes to the rest of the body. I don't get it. Jens Ritter does an amazing job. But no, not Fodera. Maybe its substance over style. 

20181220_094658.jpg

Or the extended B headstock...never ever seen something look more like a botched woodwork project in my life...

6855D9B6-D429-4510-9169-3A043F8233D5.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Better than the Stingray 5 pickguard, great instruments, but crikey, what an awful look

Funnily enough, I said to the mrs yesterday that the best thing about my stingray 5 stealth black is that it has a black pickgaurd on a black background - perfect colour combo for that design :)

Edited by adamg67

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Or the extended B headstock...never ever seen something look more like a botched woodwork project in my life...

6855D9B6-D429-4510-9169-3A043F8233D5.jpeg

God I hadn't seen that! In addition to the sheer, utter ugliness of the layout, the string needs to be wound the wrong way! Now I can't unsee it ...  😮

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

God I hadn't seen that! In addition to the sheer, utter ugliness of the layout, the string needs to be wound the wrong way! Now I can't unsee it ...  😮

Not talking to you. Sunburst, tort, dot inlays, fender shaped...🤨

hahaha

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Any pretend Fenders - that is, basses with all the features/shape of the original but not. Appreciate they may be better built / higher spec / more upmarket / expensive / boutique, but just make the whole thing more original. I’m looking at you Sandberg, Sadowsky, Lakland etc etc.

Polished turds. 

• Haha 2

Blimey! It might be easier to ask some people what they do like...

I like most bass shapes, colours and designs. 

The only design that really doesn’t work for me is all the single cut shapes other than Fodera, and specifically the Anthony Jackson model. It’s the original and only extended single cut that works - it has a properly balanced design that works on both the horizontal and the vertical. All other single cuts I’ve seen don’t have this balance - either the single cut but is too big, or the wrong shape, but most designs fall down because the bottom horn is far too small. For example - the Warwick Thumb SC is hideous. 

3 hours ago, ead said:

Things I'm not keen on:

Pointy basses

Not too keen on many of the iconic Warwick designs (apart from the one they stole from Stuart Spector and the Dolphin)

Weirdly sized pickups you can't swap out

Not a fan of green basses for some reason either.

The Warwick is a thing of beauty. 

2 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Problems with the Precision:

It's ridiculous Strat copy design, one dimensional configuration, a headstock you could fly F-18's from and tuners you could paddle at flying speed with which to launch the aforementioned strike aircraft. 

and,

Anyone who thinks otherwise. 

Pimple on a whales bum anyone?

(I’m joking...a bit...)

17A9DBE0-FE46-4220-AD07-4C40ECF6634C.jpeg

• Haha 2

How tedious would it be if we all wanted a pointy bass constructed with exotic woods with jazz pickups, a 4 over 1 (overly extended) headstock, randomly scattered control knobs and a tort scatchplate.

Vive a difference.

Sin of omission.  The bass would have flashing multi-colour LEDs both side and on the face of the fretboard.

Edited by ead
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bleat said:

I agree, I think they should have been left as trees.  I call them either "conversation piece" , "mid-life crisis", or "More-money-than-sense"  basses.

Basses : Rickenbackers , No not in my house, sorry. Warwicks, great bridges shame about the rest of it. Any bass with a name I'm not sure how to pronounce.

Sounds: Jazz pickups... just ugh! especially that honky, farting bridge sound. It just 'aint bass to my ears! 

Colours:  that creamy off-white colour, green is a no go, light coloured "natural" also a no, however the darker natural colours are fairly nice. 

Design: Nothing says " I have a small willy" more than those stupid big single cut things. LED lights also... wtf?

🎸

Just trying to work out what is left to like :(

• Haha 2